BC Boards

beginning agility training

Zoe

At what age is it ok to start agility training ? I have a six month old pup and I think he is ready - certainly mentally. I haven't allowed him to jump much until he was 6 months for developmental reasons, but would it be ok now. He is very obedient and quick to learn.

www.cleanrun.com is also a good resource. They have a great magazine & a very good online store. In the online store under Books, they have a whole section of puppy foundation books. They have some great ideas for things you can start with a puppy to give them some skills in advance.

Good luck!

Dana Nichols

Greeley, Colorado

workinglabs@comcast.net

www.workinglabs.net

Actually, no jumping higher than the puppies elbow. Weaving definitely not till they are a year old. A puppy agility class would be great but you can use everyday stuff at home too. I bought a childrens tunnel at Toys R Us for $20. The pups love to run thru it. Right and left are also good things to start training now. Contacts can also be taught now with a board elevated only an inch or two.

I've been in agility classes of some sort with both of our pups (now 17 months and 22 months) since they were that age BUT-- (BIG "BUT") -- no jumps higher than 6" until recently, no straight-line weaving until 12-14 months (and our trainer still doesn't want the younger one, a Collie, to weave until she's almost 2 or we get Xrays to verify growth plates are closed).

We repeated the beginning agility class multiple times until the younger one was ready for the next level (just a couple weeks ago).

We *have* been training weave pole channels (no bending) since they were younger, and recently started moving the poles closer.

there is a LOT you can do with a young dog and also with yourself and your handling, to learn agility now without hurting your dog. Just make sure your trainer is very safety-conscious about what your pup should and shouldn't be doing.

Also, good obedience skills are a real plus for agility, IMO, and you can work on those at any age.

Deanna in OR

Thanks everyone, I'm really glad I asked. And I've been able to get more info. through sites you recommended. My Japanese language skills are ok, but it takes me an age to get any info. over here, so really appreciate your support.

One point I will make is not to start weave training at all until around 1 year. Having wide open channels or having pups walk through open poles does nothing to teach weaving footwork since the pup doesn't have the leg length of an adult dog, so basically you're teaching a useless skill since it'll change once the pup grows up. It does, however, teach the dogs to run right by upright poles (think about the picture the dog sees), which is not the end result you want. So save the weave training until later, it'll be quicker and easier in the long run.