BC Boards

peeing in the kitchen

Sam is about 5 years old and potty trained. He only has the occasional accident if we are out too long. But recently he has started peeing in the same spot in the kitchen at least every other day. It first started when he hurt his foot running too much in the yard so we restricted his outside time...and naturally every time i took him out he went to run instead of his business. so he started having accidents in the house. his foot is fine now and hes outside more often than not now but i'm still finding pee in the house....in the same spot every time. thoughts? has he just gotten used to going there? how do i get him to stop? thanks.

Make sure you have thoroughly cleaned the spot where he is going. Use an enzymatic cleaner. It's very likely that he's continuing to pee there because he can smell that he's gone there before.

If he were mine, I'd crate him indoors, clean the spot thoroughly, and after a week or so start letting him loose in the house again. Allowing him to repeat the behavior is only making it acceptable. If he's indoors but confined to a crate, it's unlikely he'd soil his space. (The idea with the crate is really to just break the cycle. But if he can still smell where he's gone before, he will likely do it again.)

J.

^^ You must clean with a good enzymatic based cleaner that will break down the odor molecules.

What kind of flooring does your kitchen have? If it's linoleum blocks (with small cracks between the tiles) or anything even remotely porous, it's going to be much harder to get the smell completely out if the urine has permeated it. In that case, you may have to apply the cleaner several times, and maybe even allow it to sit and pool into the cracks or porous material for it to work.

Make sure you have thoroughly cleaned the spot where he is going. Use an enzymatic cleaner. It's very likely that he's continuing to pee there because he can smell that he's gone there before.

If he were mine, I'd crate him indoors, clean the spot thoroughly, and after a week or so start letting him loose in the house again. Allowing him to repeat the behavior is only making it acceptable. If he's indoors but confined to a crate, it's unlikely he'd soil his space. (The idea with the crate is really to just break the cycle. But if he can still smell where he's gone before, he will likely do it again.)

J.

I agree! We puppy sat and Jack is his name would poop and pee in one spot of my house, now that I am injured and slow to move about poor Gidget needs out and cant wake me up. She is pooping and peeing where Jack went. I disinfected the area, moved everything out of the way and cleaned it up good. So far no messes, She just wakes me up rather obnoxiously.

I agree with what has already been said, but I would like to add that if it continues you should try to catch him in the act. By catching him you will be able to remind him that peeing inside is unacceptable and immediately take him outside. Just like potty training a puppy all over again. After my aunt's toy poodle broke his leg he had a similar issue and had to be retrained that only peeing outside is ok.