BC Boards

When is it OK to take puppy out for socialization and walks?

So we are new BC handlers (Don't like the term owner), We picked up "Pi" a couple of days ago. He has had two sets of shots from the breeder and one yesterday from the Vet after reviewing all the records. Pi is 11 Weeks and is doing well with our kids (7 and 9). He and our Golden (6) are figuring it out and are doing pretty well.

Given his age and wanting to socialize, socialize, socialize him both with other dogs and people, we would like to get him out and about ASAP. We also want to be safe with his health. I would think that after three sets of shots and his age he should be ok for walks and some other activities.

The Vet suggested keeping him confined to the home and back yard for another 6 weeks (and two more sets of shots), this just seems excessive to me. So I am asking the question here:

When do you feel it would be safe to have him out and about?

My opinion is that socializing is far more important then waiting for the complete set of vaccinations.

I would get him out and about now. Let him meet new people, experience new situations and explore new environments.

Having said that, you need to be smart about where you take him. I would avoid places where you know a lot of dogs tend to congregate. Definitely no dog parks. I would think a pet store would be fine, I'd just keep him in the cart. Parks, pet friendly stores (Home Depot where I live allows dogs), friends houses, etc. would all be good places to work on socialization. ETA: You may want to think about a puppy class or a puppy socialization group so that he can also meet new canine friends. We had one near us that required you show proof that your puppy was up to date (based on the puppy's age) on their vaccinations. It allowed my puppy to learn how to appropriately play with other pups as well as meet the other owners attending the class (and their kids).

And again, this is just my opinion. There is a risk to exposing a very young, under vaccinated puppy to the world but my understanding is *far* more dogs are at risk of losing their lives because of behavioral issues (which under-socializaton can contribute to).

Welcome!

I would tend to avoid places where other dogs congregate (dog parks, popular dog walks, dog relief areas at rest stops, etc.) but would have no problems walking a pup at this age after two vaccinations.

We live on a farm and I not only take any new pup walking here, along the dirt road or in the fields (watching carefully for cow pies, etc.), but also try to take the pup for socializing anywhere I can - I find Lowe's to be excellent (I take a rug to put in the shopping cart and the pup is not on the floor in the store, free to greet all comers close to their level).

I also don't have an issue taking a pup to town or campus (a college campus is usually a great place for walks and socializing) for walks on the sidewalk or grassy areas, as the exposure to other dogs will be minimal usually.

I've taken all my pups to town to puppy class starting as young as eight weeks old. Of course, in that situation, all pups (and dogs) have been properly vaccinated appropriately for their age, too.

I think your vet is being a bit conservative but is that maybe because there is a high incidence of disease and unvaccinated dogs in your area? That could play into his/her recommendations.

IMO you have to weight out the risks, I am more concerned with people/kid socialization the socialization with other dogs, 1st we have plenty of other dogs, 2nd even if we didn't it would be more important to me that my pup understands kids and people, easier to live with when it comes to extended family or friends.

So I would suggest taking your pup to family functions where there would be few to no dogs, also being careful not to take the pup to places where dog you are unfamiliar with and have a unknown health history would go. Stay away from pet stores, dog parks, even walking around at rest areas in the pet area. When I take a young pup to the vet they don't get to meet other dogs, I keep them up off the floor and don't walk them outside in the designated pet area. Last thing I want to do is to bring Parvo home to our kennel.

Here is a good article that explains parvo and immunity or rather reasons for lack of immunity. http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/5_6/features/5458-1.html

Like Sue mentioned you make want to look up the incidence of disease in your area.

But if he's already 11 weeks then I think it would be good for you to start getting him out. The early socialization window starts to close at 12 weeks.

Other posters have give you great ideas. I would also suggest trying to take him everywhere with you. If you have to go to the bank, to the store, take him in the car with you (but don't leave him alone in there if it is hot outside).

If you're worried about the spread of disease and go to a pet store you can always carry him or keep him in a shopping cart. Lowe's also allows dogs.

Here's the American Veterinarian Society of Animal Behavior's statement on early socialization: http://avsabonline.org/uploads/position_statements/puppy_socialization.pdf

Just remember that puppy vaccinations against parvo is no guaranty that the puppy can't contract it or spread it, there is a window where the mother's immunity overrides the shots, so shots given during that time would not protect the pup, and if there is a lag time between when the mothers immunity wears off and the next shot is given there is a window for risk of exposure even though the pup is properly vaccinated.

Don't avoid socialization, just be smart and careful about it understanding that the general public does not realize that their vaccinated pup could still have, spread or get parvo. We see it all the time where the breeder is blamed for not giving the vaccinations when the pup contracts parvo, most are not aware of the mother immunity affecting the effectiveness of the vaccination.

AAHA suggests the following and some vets follow it:

Initial vaccination in puppies < 16 weeks of age

•Starting at 6 weeks, vaccinate every 3 to 4 weeks (6, 10, 14 or 8, 12, 16 weeks) up to 14 or 16 weeks; final shot should be given between 14 and 16 weeks to minimize risk of maternal antibody interference

Oh, I don't know if this was pointed out, the vaccination he just got, if it does take hold, won't be fully effective for 5-10 days, so may be worth waiting a week or two before you get him out if you are going to count on that vaccination.

Somewhere, I have hunt for it, I have a risk chart that shows the percentage of pups that have immunity from the vaccination at what age, as the pup gets older the odds that the vaccination has increased immunity goes up with 16 weeks resulting in near 100%.

FYI: Here's another take on vaccine schedule by Dr. Jeann Dodds, a leading researcher of vaccines and proponent of a more conservative vaccine schedule.

http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/66693331640/dodds-dog-vaccination-protocol-2013-2014#.U7M2pbHXuZQ

Interesting read...

We are going to try and start socializing him, while being careful.. So manly gathering with people and some select pets but avoid the high pet traffic areas, such as dog parks

Here is a link to the AVSAB (American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior) position statement:

http://dogdaysnw.com/puppy_socialization1-25-13.pdf

Here is a link to a paper written by Robert K. Anderson DVM, MPH, DACVPM, DACVB who is Professor Emeritus, Animal Behavior Clinic and Center to Study Human/Animal Relationships and Environments at the University of Minnesota

http://dogdaysnw.com/RKanderson.html

I have not read all the links posted. I just had our puppy get her 3rd set of vaccinations. The vet told me wait two weeks for the immunity to kick in.

I have been taking our pup to agility class (for my other dog) and around our neighborhood (very few dogs). I still would not be taking her to dog parks or to rest stops until she is much older (just being over protective).

I waited until 17 weeks and 4 rounds of shots with my pup. I played it very safe with a few exceptions where i felt the risk was low. I took these risks mainly because I was more afraid of a poorly socialized dog than I was over her getting parvo. I found a cement bike path and broke the rules and took her out on walks there. She wasn't allowed off the pavement. This allowed me to teach her to meet people and dogs and to not worry about bikes going by.

Another thing I did was take her downtown in my arms. I would sit outside coffee shops with her on my lap and just let her meet people and see things go by. I did this as often as I could! Picking restaurants with outdoor patios is good too.

I think they need to issue the final vaccinations around 16 weeks of age because this coordinates with the fall out of the mothers protective immunity.

I would suggest car rides, carrying her through pet shops and stores. I took my pup to Lowe's constantly to buy little things. Mainly it was just so she could walk in a safe environment and hear noises and meet people. Lowe's is generous enough to allow dogs. I would find stores like this that I felt were safe from unvaccinated dogs and take her to meet people.

I think you can get away with taking a few risks as long as they are well thought out. Dog parks, high traffic trails and such are too risky.

I have not read all the links posted.

You really should take the time to read the links, at least the one by the AVSAB. Your window for best socialization period is closing quickly.

Tried to post this yesterday, one of 2 posts that didn't go thru. Sorry for the delay.

A quick comment about Lowe's -- in my area (SW Virginia), the 4 closest Lowe's stores do not allow dogs, but the local Home Depot welcomes them. Other possible dog-friendly stores (other than pet stores) can include hiking/camping stores, feed/grain/farm supply stores, some small hardware stores and my hairdresser. ;)

Just call ahead to be certain your dog is welcome to avoid surprises.

You really should take the time to read the links, at least the one by the AVSAB. Your window for best socialization period is closing quickly.

Tried to post this yesterday, one of 2 posts that didn't go thru. Sorry for the delay.

I went back and read the articles and I hope I am doing enough. I have not been able to sign up for a puppy class because they were full. There should be new classes opening up in a few days and I am planning to sign up. I have been taking Natty to agility class and she interacts with the dogs and their owners between runs. Last weekend we attended an agility seminar and she tagged along. I also have taken her to doggy daycare a couple of times. Natty goes with us to run errands whenever possible. I have taken her into Home Depot and PetSmart but I don't let her on the floor at PetSmart. Is there a way to find out online which stores are dog friendly? Sitting outside at Starbucks or going to the pet friendly mall are not practical since our summer days are so hot. Our forecast for today is a high of 111. I have not had a puppy for a long time would love suggestions on how to get Natty out and about more.

I went back and read the articles and I hope I am doing enough. I have not been able to sign up for a puppy class because they were full. There should be new classes opening up in a few days and I am planning to sign up. I have been taking Natty to agility class and she interacts with the dogs and their owners between runs. Last weekend we attended an agility seminar and she tagged along. I also have taken her to doggy daycare a couple of times. Natty goes with us to run errands whenever possible. I have taken her into Home Depot and PetSmart but I don't let her on the floor at PetSmart. Is there a way to find out online which stores are dog friendly? Sitting outside at Starbucks or going to the pet friendly mall are not practical since our summer days are so hot. Our forecast for today is a high of 111. I have not had a puppy for a long time would love suggestions on how to get Natty out and about more.

I think that sounds pretty good. Do you have friends you can take her to visit? Different houses with different people would be good.

Also here is a list with some more good ideas.

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/puppy-training/

http://ahimsadogtraining.com/blog/puppy-training/