BC Boards

Found our Puppies Prozac

It was so simple. She is absolutely intimidated by a basketball. All I

did was set down a basketball in the room. She sits and stares motionless studies and sits. Its been 20 minutes and she hasn't moved at all. When she finial figures it out she will probably pop it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't let my BC stare at anything for long since he's already got that "intense stare" thing going on and I don't want that particularly around other dogs. What does she do if you move the ball? My BC attacks big, bouncy one's like soccer and basketballs when in motion but I'm working on discouraging that.

You might not want to encourage obsessive staring.

Now, is she truly intimidated or is she just waiting for someone to give it a good kick and let the games begin?

I won't let my BC stare at anything for long since he's already got that "intense stare" thing going on and I don't want that particularly around other dogs. What does she do if you move the ball? My BC attacks big, bouncy one's like soccer and basketballs when in motion but I'm working on discouraging that.

well if you move it towards her she runs a circle and hides behind me. peeks out around me and

stares some more.

You might not want to encourage obsessive staring.

Now, is she truly intimidated or is she just waiting for someone to give it a good kick and let the games begin?

no she chases footballs baseballs tennis balls etc and Frisbees sticks butterflies but not that horrible basketball.

If you believe she's intimidated by it, how is that anything like Prozac? Sounds like just the opposite to me.

Add me to the list of people who advise against allowing her to obsess on the ball or anything else.

Like chewing on the leash, it's something that may be cute and/or amusing now, but you probably won't appreciate much when she gets older. But by then it'll be too late, because you've already trained her to believe it's something you find desirable.

It can be very, very hard to un-train something like that later on. You've been warned, and if you persist in doing things like this, you're not going to find a whole lot of sympathy later when you come back here asking how you can undo it. :rolleyes:

I don't understand. If you think it makes her uncomfortable (your word "intimidated"), why are you subjecting her to this?

If you're trying to get her to settle (your word "Prozac"), there are MUCH better ways.

Add me to the list of people who feel uncomfortable about what you're letting your puppy do.

Alchemist, on 25 Jun 2014 - 20:28, said:

I don't understand. If you think it makes her uncomfortable (your word "intimidated"), why are you subjecting her to this?

If you're trying to get her to settle (your word "Prozac"), there are MUCH better ways.

Add me to the list of people who feel uncomfortable about what you're letting your puppy do.

No doubt a lot advice here is really off the wall. Big Deal she has an issue with a basketball

so far you all say she should not be allowed to stare nor get familiar with a basketball. She has 15 hours a day attention running around in the yard. In home, full time protection until we feel comfortable with interaction with the big dog. Is there anyone here that really

understands anything about BC's or just wanting to make irrational and ridiculous comments and accusing everyone of being a troll. What is wrong with you people. I sat out in the yard today in the pouring rain for a hour whilst letting our dogs exercise. Would you do that? Set down your silly teacups and scones and stop judging the people posting here.

I agree the troll stuff is rude and uncalled for.

But you've been posting stuff lately that clearly demonstrates that you don't have much of an understanding about border collies.

Many of us here have had border collies for quite a few years, and often several of them at a time. I got my first one 35 years ago (when most people didn't even know what a border collie was), have had them continuously since then and I've had as many as 4 at a time. Not as long and not as many as some people here, but I think enough to claim some experience with the breed.

I think there's a lot more "off the wall" comments coming from your end than most of ours. If you want to keep posting things that really aren't in the dog's best interest, you're just going to have to get used to hearing people telling you why it's not a good idea.

Sorry if you find that offensive, but most people here are going to tell you the truth about what they think.

Aww, man. We're all busted. We really don't know anything about Border Collies. We come here every day 'cause we're bored. We find pictures on the 'net to post and make up stories about our experiences. What the heck are we gonna do now that the charade has been discovered?? ;)

Aww, man. We're all busted. We really don't know anything about Border Collies. We come here every day 'cause we're bored. We find pictures on the 'net to post and make up stories about our experiences. What the heck are we gonna do now that the charade has been discovered?? ;)

[/quote

Just the sarcasm I expected. That's why you all let me down.

Where is the "like" button.

I have found these forums a wealth of information.

I wish I had time for tea and scones but I am too busy taking care of my puppy. :blink:

Where is the "like" button.

I have found these forums a wealth of information.

I wish I had time for tea and scones but I am too busy taking care of my puppy. :blink:

my sentiments exactly. have found good info but wow had to filter out a lot of crap to get it.

must be I am a troll because haven't met many friendly people here and its sad. I have a beautiful pack and the BC is the new addition. The puppy gets a lot of attention. Reliable info should not take 1 out of every 20 posts.

Oh my! Making the kind of accusations seemingly designed to aggravate members isn't helping your "troll" status... :D Oh well. To each their own.

Well your members have no problem in posting aggravating troll like posts and that I have to point that out that is sad state. and you do not see it then its even worse

I agree the troll stuff is rude and uncalled for.

But you've been posting stuff lately that clearly demonstrates that you don't have much of an understanding about border collies.

Many of us here have had border collies for quite a few years, and often several of them at a time. I got my first one 35 years ago (when most people didn't even know what a border collie was), have had them continuously since then and I've had as many as 4 at a time. Not as long and not as many as some people here, but I think enough to claim some experience with the breed.

I think there's a lot more "off the wall" comments coming from your end than most of ours. If you want to keep posting things that really aren't in the dog's best interest, you're just going to have to get used to hearing people telling you why it's not a good idea.

Sorry if you find that offensive, but most people here are going to tell you the truth about what they think.

I suppose that If I have had my first border collie for 6 weeks makes me naïve then fine but so as you said I am a free game ignorant victim of your forums ridiculous comments. So name one ridiculous comment I made Just frustrated with this forum and it complete rudeness.

my sentiments exactly. have found good info but wow had to filter out a lot of crap to get it.

must be I am a troll because haven't met many friendly people here and its sad. I have a beautiful pack and the BC is the new addition.

The people here only want what is best for every Border Collie out there. So many BC end up abandoned because people don't take the time to understand the special needs of a BC.

I did post a question and got jumped on a bit but I understood that the posters here are very passionate about protecting the breed they love so much. I am a first time BC owner. I have only had my puppy for a month. I own a 95 lbs. German Shepherd (just big, he is not overweight) and I weigh in at 110 lbs. My little BC is giving me a run for my money!

My advice is when you get advice please look at it from the perspective of a person that loves and has been fighting for the breed. The people here want you to succeed. Border Collies are not German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers, or any other breed. They are unique.

I have looked at photos of your puppy. She is adorable! Take a deep breath before you get angry and understand that everyone here wants you to succeed with your puppy. But she is different. She is a Border Collie.

The people here only want what is best for every Border Collie out there. So many BC end up abandoned because people don't take the time to understand the special needs of a BC.

I did post a question and got jumped on a bit but I understood that the posters here are very passionate about protecting the breed they love so much. I am a first time BC owner. I have only had my puppy for a month. I own a 95 lbs. German Shepherd (just big, he is not overweight) and I weigh in at 110 lbs. My little BC is giving me a run for my money!

My advice is when you get advice please look at it from the perspective of a person that loves and has been fighting for the breed. The people here want you to succeed. Border Collies are not German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers, or any other breed. They are unique.

I have looked at photos of your puppy. She is adorable! Take a deep breath before you get angry and understand that everyone here wants you to succeed with your puppy. But she is different. She is a Border Collie.

see that's what am looking for. My BC and I spend more hours playing than I do working but everything I post they scream troll. it breaks my heart that people here are so rude when all I want is info. Everything you do is wrong and your a idiot.

Regardless of what troll owner I am I will let my puppy run and chase butterflies go to the creek and eat crayfish. Play with the other dogs till she is exhausted then play tug of war with her for an hour. after she takes a cat nap we do it all over again. So yea I love my puppy and give lots of attention. I guess that makes me a troll. BTW never knew what a troll was till I got called that here and still not sure what it means but sounds bad.

Okay, I'll play nice. I am sorry that you feel judged. I understand how you might. My issue was that you took offense not to something particularly rude, but to a sensible comment. If you had been personally attacked it would be different. But if someone is irritated on this forum usually it's because doing your own research on the border collie (either on this site or elsewhere) would likely have let you know about whatever they are telling you. I'm not saying that everyone here is flawless, and it's true that members often lack patience, but if you show them that you are willing to listen (I mean really listen) to advice I think you'll find that they begin to have more faith and patience in you, once they have that proof that you are ready to do the best you can for your puppy in all ways. Because these people have first hand experience with these things and many of them are experts on the breed.

Back to the issue, though. Obsessive staring. My understanding of it is that border collies are a breed that can easily become obsessed with something and even if it's harmless now it can become a big problem when they grow up and spend all their time obsessively staring, stalking, or chasing that thing. Maybe with a basketball it doesn't seem like a big deal, but how about when it's a car, or a child? No one is saying you don't adore your puppy or give her a ton of attention. It's just that for your sake and hers some behaviors are best stopped when they are young. Does that make sense?

The sad thing is....I actually find this really sad. I read the post and knew immediately where it would go.

And although I also can't seem to get my head wrapped around the connection between Prozac and the pup obviously being somewhat uneasy around the ball,I think maybe there would have been a bit gentler way to point to a chance of nonsense down the road.

Especially since, despite the previous posts that seem a bit not so mainstream, I can't shake the feeling that this was an off the cuff post by someone that truly seems to enjoy the new pup and maybe is trying to share and find a way to share the fun. If maybe in a slightly different way?

had to have a thread deleted because I got attacked so I am a little sensitive. based on my why do they call them collies I got the info I needed Sorting the (BS) but was really slammed and a whole thread was made about me that I asked to be deleted. I just think all the negative responses make me banned from a sensible response. Its like hjtras lets call him a troll and give him arap. I don't need nor ask that. If that's the way its going to be I will delete my account and go somewhere I can get real info and not info that stalks me elsewhere and belittles everything I say. That's not why I came here. So far this forum gets an F. The C- for info is just not worth the crap you go through to get it.