BC Boards

Hi guys, I've been looking into the safety and practicality of bringing my pup to school this fall when I have my three hour workshops, so I can go let him out in the middle of one. It's about 20 minutes from home, and from what I've heard leaving an 8 week old pup in a crate for nearly four hours is not ideal. I know I've heard a few people on here talk about leaving their dogs in their cars while at work, but what I've seen online it can be dangerous even if the temperature is as low as 60 (15C) because on sunny days a car can get up to 100. Have people experienced this? Do you ever leave your dog in the car? When do you determine it to be too hot to leave a dog in a car for a long time. Or would you never recommend it at all? Victoria is mild all year round and by September 60 is about what we'd be seeing, with plenty of cloudy days.

I don't know anyone near me so I can't get someone to just come let the puppy out while I'm gone. So it's either I leave it for 3-4 hours about two days a week, or I bring it to school and let it stay in the car for about three hours, two days a week. Which the 'lesser of two evils'?

I doubt a car can get up to 100 degrees inside if it's 60 out. Just be smart, park in the shade. I stop letting my dogs stay in the car at around 65 degrees for extended periods of time, and I'd say that's a little conservative. It also depends on if there's direct sunlight. But Feist spent much of this spring in the car in about 60 degrees, and was absolutely fine, and the car got nowhere near hot. People can be waaaay too extreme about dogs in cars.

I would rather leave my pup in a crate for 4 hours than a car. If it was 8 hours I would rethink that. No problem at 8 weeks staying in a crate or pen for that length of time. You never know when the weather will change or who will mess with your car if they see a crate inside (happens a lot, ask me about someone calling the police to try to get me in trouble). When I leave my dogs crated in a car I am outside all day and very aware of the weather conditions. I can go check them frequently, offer water, adjust shade, etc.

Home sounds like the right choice for this situation.

It's not a bad idea to keep shadecloths in your car in case you get caught out. Space blankets turned shiny-side out over the roof and windows, with the windows cracked, will keep the car at about ambient air temperature in full sun.

Oko: Nearly every site I looked at said more or less the same thing about it, so I guess either they're all getting the info from the same source, or it's true.

Anyways, I was under the impression that a pup that age can't hold it for more than 2 hours?

I'm wrapping up my college experience this summer (finally - yay!!!!)

But I've had dog(s) in the car 75% of the time at college. I attended a semi-rural college with shade in the parking lot. I'd park in the shade, put the windows down a few inches and had the dogs crated. They did great and most of the of the time nobody even knew they were there. I'd check on them between classes so every hour and a half or so.

I had the cops called on me once. During a night class of all things. Came out and found campus security as well as city and county police all around my car. I explained who I was, what I did with my dogs (SAR so they spent LOTS of time in the car) showed them the dogs were fine and it was no big deal. After that I left my name and cell# where it could easily be seen from the outside of the car.

So I think it depends on the college situation. It is easy to find a shaded spot? and remember - shade moves as the sun moves! Are the students/staff likely to be laid back about it? Is it safe to leave your windows rolled down a few inches? If the answer is yes to all these then it could work fine. If the answer is no to some of these then it's probably best to leave your pup home.

LOL. My pups were sleeping 7 hours overnight in a crate by 8 weeks old. Maybe a toy breed pup needs to go out that often, but a Border Collie should be fine crated for 4 hours.

Overnight is very different from daytime, though. Your kidneys just don't produce as much urine. Everything I've read says they can hold it for their age in months (some say their age in months + 1). Is that just people being over-careful then?

Bandit (of Liz's litter) held it just fine 4 - 5 hours while I was at work during the day. I had someone come every day to let him out around lunch time to break up the day. He never had an accident in his crate and he was perfectly fine.

Alright, that's reassuring (for both options, actually). I think I will keep him at home most times, then, but I'll look into what it'll be like bringing him in the car just in case.

Thanks everyone.

I would do both - just be smart about your choices. Dog in car on the cooler days, and if there is any chance that it may warm up too much, leave the pup at home.

IMHO, an added benefit to this is training your pup to be calm and comfortable in his crate whether at home or in the car.

When I got my first border collie I was between grade 11 and 12. When school started she was crated from 8:30am until 12:30pm when I would come home for lunch and let her out and play with her. Then crated again until 3:30 or so. With my next 2 dogs I was working and since I work at a vet clinic they came to work with me and again I would let them out on my lunch break and then after work. The only times I ever had issues (and only with my most current dog) was if she had a big drink and then was crated.

I crated my German Shepherd when he was a puppy for five hours, three times a week and he did just fine. I made sure he had plenty of play time before I left and after I came home.

I have also had dogs that spent some time in the car (not crated because they were older) and didn't have a problem. If you leave a pup crated in the car I would just be sure to check on the pup and let it out for a walk whenever you get the chance. Could you put a thermometer in your car and see how hot the car gets when sitting in the sun? Where I live now I wouldn't leave a puppy in the car even in winter. It is too hot!

I have thought of getting one of those little paper thermometers that changes colour from green to red when the temperature gets too hot. Easier to check at a glance from outside the car.

I've seen online versions of that specifically for cars- it's a picture of a dog, the nose turns red when the car is too hot.

Edit: I've seen them online, not that they're online versions. Curse this text based talking machine.

Dear Doggers,

Of course, none of you needs this obvious advice, but still . . .

Please don't forget the sun moves and what was cool shade when you arrive at 8am might be full sun by 3. All day shade is hard to find.

Donald McCaig

I would say crated at home would be better depending on where you live. Here in Indiana they have had a phone number on the news regularly telling people who see kids or dogs in cars to call and give them the location and license plate, make and model of the car and then the police contact the owners. It is just too hot here to leave a dog in a car even for a few minutes.

Also a lot of dogs have been stolen here in this state over the last year, between the hoarders and dogs going missing it is crazy. I would hate for you to come out and your dog be missing. Three hours on a college campus would give thieves ample time unless security is really good there. My son had 2 bikes, wheels off of his car, a stereo and all of his CDs stolen while parking at a college.

I don't like the idea of leaving the dog in the car. When I was still in college I left my dog in the car on a mild day (61°) during a writer's workshop session. It was fall, not supposed to get much warmer - but it did. When I went out to check on her, car was no longer in the shade and it was HOT in that car. For now on I only leave my dogs in the car during the winter months or when I'll only be 5 mins tops. 4 hrs is nothing, he'll be fine.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll look into those thermometers, that's a good idea. I may or may not be able to see the car from the classroom, depending on which side of the building it's on. Luckily Victoria is not worrisome as far as crime. The worst that happens is peoples' bicycles getting stolen. Not to mention the parking lot I'd be in is way off on the other side of campus where only the Fine Arts buildings are. Unfortunately I don't think there's anywhere for good shade so I'd only be able to bring the dog on cloudy days.

Does your school or anywhere around offer underground parking? If you're in Victoria BC Canda, there's a nice daycare there called nirvana and they're cheap as chips - not sure if your pup will be ready for daycare by then or not.

-Rich

No, there's no underground parking. I checked out the daycare, but pup will only be 8 weeks when school starts so it wouldn't be an option for a while. I'll keep it in mind in the future though, thanks.

When it comes to puppies, some can hold it longer then others. Often times if they are left home in familiar surroundings with nothing going on they will just fall asleep, even during the day and not have to go until you get home and disturb them, provided it's not a excessive amount of time. I would actually be more concerned with the pup getting disturbed being left in the car if people go past and make noise. Could actually see a greater chance for accidents then if the pup was left at home.

I would set up a nice big crate or puppy pen on linoleum and have it large enough so that if the pup were to have a accident they could go off to that area, or some even litter pan train their pups. Put a kitty litter pan of wood pellets in the pen, you would be amazed how many pups will go to use the litter pan or even just a towel laid in the corner of the pen.