BC Boards

How do you see your dog?

My dogs are a part of my family, they are like my fuzzy non human children, sometimes better behaved then my children, they are a part of the team, they are a great responsibility yes but well worth it. We have an unconditional sort of love for each other, nothing i would not do for them! They are my companions, they are there when Im sad they listen and never judge. They are by my side through thick and thin, with their cute adorable eyes looking at me with love. We work hard and play hard together, I have always had at least one dog most of my life, the few times I was without a dog never felt rite and never lasted long. I will always have a dog or two with me, Id be lost with out my loving fuzzy friend at my side. They have my back and I have theirs. We look out for one another they go just about anywhere I go. I travel with my dogs, I go visiting with my dogs, I just cant ever see going out in the woods with out them. I guess I just love dogs

I find it a sad shame that some peoples children get less attention and affection from their parents then my dogs receive from me!

I know my dogs, and they know me, we understand each others little quirks we do have a way of communicating with each other, we share a bond, I am a very lucky person, I am blessed with many people who love me and care about me, I have my number one daughter whom I live with who has agreed to opening our home to just ONE more critter, my sweet beautiful Gidget who has given me a new lease on life. She gets me out of bed every morning, she keeps me active, and oh boy she is a very vocal little girl at times, I can tell just what she is thinking or wanting by the looks on her face and those golden eyes I melt yes I do. :)

I like what several people have said, especially Julie, Tea, and Geonni.

My dogs are my family. I like them a lot better than most people I encounter. They are a lot nicer than most people, and certainly more honest. They are nicer than I am (although not necessarily more honest). My life would be bereft without a dog. They are my constant companions, playmates, and buddies. They are the ones whose company I will always welcome,, no matter what kind of day or night I have had. I love and respect them, and I find them, and their relationships with one another and with me, endlessly fascinating.

I see them as equals, in the greater scheme of things, although equals for whom I have responsibility.
They are dependent on me for many things. But I am equally dependent on them in a different way; without them my life would be hardly worth living, because they give me something that no human being can. I don't know if I can put into words what that is, but it is real. They and I have a way of understanding one another and caring for one another that I don't think is possible between human beings. Not better than what you can have with a person, it's not a case of better or not as good.....it is simply different, and unique. And having known life with that special bond I just wouldn't want to be without it.

Like Lizabeth, my dogs are like my children. I am the oldest in my family and my youngest sibling is 16 years younger. My oldest daughter and my sister are just seven years apart. I have always nurtured someone and feel at a loss if I have no one to take care of. I really enjoy watching my puppies grow into adult dogs and all of the skills they acquire along the way.

Being a parent who raised an ADHD child I really see Gidget as an ADHD Puppy. They need to be kept busy, if something catches their interest wild horses won't pull their minds off it. They are just busy busy busy little fuzzy children always in need of new ideas and things to do or they will get bored and into some sort of project that could lead to trouble. If you take your eye off them for a moment they can vanish lol. I try to stay 3 steps ahead of her anticipating what she will do next she keeps me on my toes lol. But like my human child she will grow into herself with a little love and guidance and turn into the most wonderful and smartest companion.

My daughter made me feel better when she told me that her heeler was far far more hyper then Gidget at this age, but we do feel that a lot of it is the fact that their are 2 people and that heeler involved in her life who look after her and train her.

My dogs have always been what I considered my best friends. My opinions of them are far better than my opinions of most people. I've never really had a relationship with a bc, but I have with many retrievers.

My relationship with them is rather hard to explain. I understand dogs are not humans, but that's never stopped me from talking to them as if they were. When I walked my flat-coat around the neighborhood in the mornings, my neighbors would often give me odd looks as I passed them. Probably because it seemed like I was having a conversation with myself! I talk to my dog and (of course) I don't expect an answer. But usually at least some form of acknowledgement. She'll listen with her heart, and even if she has no idea what I'm saying, she'll pick my side.

I feel like we're two beings who need each other, but have very different forms of communication. There are some more obvious expressions we can pass back and forth, and from there on we must study their behavior to understand them more. I don't view my dog as a pack animal who must be submitted in order for our species to coexist. Rather, we're partners. Our relationship should be mutually beneficial.

I believe humans and dogs share a very special bond, for two different species. We evolved around each other, and will continue to do so. I fail to see one without the other.

P.S. I do believe dogs, especially border collies, can understand simple words we use in sentences. I feel they understand a lot more than we think they do, such as human children.

I always talk to my dogs, mostly nonsense, I thought it was just a bad habit until someone pointed out that the dogs were listening for the key phrases I use to tell them specific things. They get the tone of voice as well. They can be spookily good at reading you... and then bafflingly ignorant as to what you're trying to convey.

My dogs definitely understand things like 'walk', 'hello', 'let's go', 'there's a dog coming', 'let's turn back' and 'I need to tie my shoelaces' said in a conversational tone of voice.

What a beautiful thread, and so resonant. I had shivers run up and down my spine.

I can't really describe how I see my dogs, though I think about it now and then. They are mysteries to me; learning how to read their language and shape their behavior is something to which I could happily dedicate my life. I don't understand humans very well, to be honest; sometimes they surprise you with their compassion and insight, and sometimes they astound with their pettiness or spite or intentional obfuscation. But most dogs are honest as the day is long, and yet no less fascinating for that. I love to watch a dog just *being*, and each of its actions unfold with perfect sensibility...yet there are so many factors that come together to influence those actions, that you can still spend all day untangling why a given dog does what he does. And even more, I love to shape and change a dog's actions, until he is intently and willingly performing whatever crazy, harebrained, sometimes downright unnatural manuever the human has dreamed up today; sculpting their emotions, until what was overwhelming or frightening is no longer so, is even more satisfying. They are infinitely simple and infinitely complex, the perfect puzzle. And there is no creature (humans included) with whom I would rather spend my life.