BC Boards

Onset of anxiety in a 9 year old dog?

Quinn will be nine at the end of this month. Over the past couple of months, I’ve seen a number of changes in his behaviors including:

• Eating dirt daily ever since the snow finally melted off. Previously, he very rarely ate dirt or sand and stopped when I told him to. Now he stares at me and takes another bite.
  • Increased clinginess, to the point of pacing, loud crying and even howling (on one occasion) when I left him in very familiar places with people he knows and likes. As in places and people he has known his entire life. He has always been a bit clingy but this is a new level.
  • Unusual protectiveness/reactivity (intense barking, not backing off ) twice now when workmen came to the house. Previously, he has ranged from friendly greeting to keeping a very cautious distance with workmen at the house. This is a huge change from the dog I have often called The Coward of the County.
  • Jumping gates in the house. The first time was a 31 inch gate he jumped to get out of the bedroom so he could furiously bark at the workman standing at the front door. Twice now as I am pulling into the garage, he has jumped the 34 inch gate that separates the kitchen from the rest of the house to get to the dog door into the garage
  • Last week, for the first time in his life, he ate a few paper towels I had left on an end table in the living room, as I often do. I use the paper towels as coasters for pop or napkins. There may have been a slight essence of some food on them but nothing that hasn’t been just like it on other paper towels or napkins for years.
  • Yesterday I was gone for much of the day, but less than a work day. My neighbor let the dogs out at lunch as usual. When I arrived home three hours later, he had chewed along the top of the particle board kitchen gate, ruining it, and ingesting several small pieces.

When Quinn started eating dirt, the vet did blood work in case there was some GI issue or anemia. Everything came back fine. Quinn is basically still his usual happy, affectionate and playful self, just with some weird new behaviors. But this list of behaviors strikes me as anxiety related. His sight/hearing seem the same. I don’t notice any confusion so I don’t think it is early onset dementia.

Tomorrow I will call for an appointment with the vet. I'm thinking we should check his thyroid for sure. Any other ideas of what may cause anxiety issues for a 9 year old dog? I'm worried about these behavior/temperament changes in my wonderful boy. I had to drag his crate up from the basement last night because I don't know what crazy thing he is going to do next when I am gone if he is loose in the house. :(

Personally I would also ask about an ultrasound or xray to see if there were any internal issues going on. Kipp's bloodwork was all in normal range at first a week before I got the final diagnosis. The xray was what showed something highly abnormal and led to further testing. The only outward signs that anything might be wrong was a bit of an increase in anxiety and a slight reduction in stamina a few weeks before his diagnosis. I hope you quickly find some answers and solution for your boy!

I have been thinking of Kipp, Mara, though hopefully this is something like thyroid issues. I haven't had a dog this age go through a temperament and behavior change before and am confused.

Maja, he shows no signs of visual problems, fetching normally and seeming to notice people and animals outside as usual. Would there be something going wrong with subtle signs I am not noticing yet?

I had a Miniature Schnauzer that began to loose her vision when she was around ten years old (she lived to be almost 13). It took me a while to discover her vision loss because it was so gradual. Towards the end of her life I was sure that she could only seen directly in front of her and had no peripheral vision. My dog lived happily with her limited vision and the people in her life had to adjust their way of interacting with her.

I'm not saying vision is the issue with Quinn, just that it may be something very subtle that you have not noticed.

I hope you can get some answers. I always am so stressed when my pets are having a problem or are upset because they can't just tell me what is wrong.

:-( This happened to Mer. She was 5 1/2, and not 9, but still old for big changes in personality to manifest. We went through a million potential causes: the other dog in the house, her tooth (which needed a root canal), supplements that she was on, the house she lived in, blood work and eye exam. Finally, we figured out that part of the problem was a pheromone collar that was being used for her thunderstorm fears. It's like trying to be a detective: what in the dog's environment, your schedule, their medical status has changed? Medical-wise, there could be so many issues: blood work is a good place to start, but that won't catch early kidney issues, endocrine problems (diabetes, thyroid, Cushings, Addions...although most likely there would be other signs), sensory deficits, primary intracranial disease, or GI problems. That last is interesting, because many abnormal oral behaviors (pica, licking of surfaces, and fly biting in dogs, or cribbing in horses) are associated with underlying GI problems.

Yes, I get the sense this is a mystery to be solved. Of course, my vet is off this week and with my schedule, I can't get in to the back up vet until Thursday. I plan to call my vet's office when they are taking calls and see if I can get in at any time on Monday. I'll take the day off if I need to. Quinn has had GI issues in the past. I am not seeing clear GI symptoms though he did throw up in the car last week which he has never done before. His autoimmune system has never been great. I really hate putting him in the crate all day but maybe he will feel more secure.