BC Boards

Have an agressive Lab/Golden mix male adult

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 weeks have passed since the original post. Well at 5 months the little BC and our Big lab have come to an agreement. Few weeks ago the tides have turned he tried to take something from her and this time it was the big guy that got bit in the face. Buy the time he retaliated she was long gone. Ever since they have been like a big brother looking out for his little sister. They have been a great deal of fun to watch she is always stalking and herding him and if she is not in the big guys sight he checks on her. They have become family.

Two dogs did not get along. One tried to take another's toy. I don't find it unreasonable to think that there would be a scuffle. I would not say it is an indication of resource guarding unless it is still happening now that the dogs are getting along.

I remember reading on RDM's blog not long ago about her pup (I think his name was Dexter?) continually stalking her older BC Piper. It was presented as a cute and silly thing that sounds more or less identical to what is being described here. Though I have never seen a puppy stalking a dog, I do trust her judgement and so again I would not be inclined to immediately assume a problem. Herding, maybe. Either way, without more information I don't think it's wise to start making assumptions about the problems there may or may not be.

It was something along the lines of "I'm confused, maybe you could explain this for me. Your border collie showed resource guarding against your lab and is now controlling him using typical BC behaviour and your opinion is that they're best buddies now and you think everything is fine?" Apologies if I've misquoted any parts, but that's what happens when you delete a post. I know it was longer but I'm not sure what else was in there.

I'm glad to hear they are getting along well, but be careful of the stalking and "herding" behavior. It's very common for other dogs to get tired of it, as it's disrespectful and rude for a border collie to intrude him or herself so pointedly into another dog's space. Be wary in case that lab one day gets tired of her doing that.

I won't allow my dogs to stalk or "herd" another dog. It's not cute, it's rude and some dogs view that behavior as predatory and challenging, even if the BC thinks he or she is only playing. I've seen that behavior turn into a dog fight.

~ Gloria

The big guy is fine with it. She always lets him win the chase even though she redirects him several times and reaches the ball first.He is smart and if she has something he wants he always offers a trade. sometimes she agrees sometimes not. If not he usually finds something she agrees to. But she lets him win the challenges so he seems to respect her wishes when it comes to his trade.