BC Boards

When can I walk her after she is spay?

I know she was just in for her spay on monday but this poor pup is a wound up ball of energy! Do you think if I just take her on a walk nothing too hard on her just an easy walk to ware her out a bit would that be ok? Or should I just wait a bit longer?

Shes beside herself trying so hard to be good. She gets so hyper all I can do is put her on my lap and hug her tell she calms down lol.

So Liz you recommend total confinement? I have been blessed with easy dogs. They pretty much self regulated but I watched them closely. Mine were walking after a day...walking not running or jumping but walking none the less. Not long purposeful walks maybe out to the barn or out to wander the yard a bit. Short easy walks. No one suffered any ill effects. Maybe we were just lucky.

Short walks after 4 days should be fine, but make sure it is not too long or strenuous for her. You may also look into other food dispensing toys, for example I have one that is a ball I can fill with kibble and let my dogs roll it around the house. It exercises them at a pace that they are comfortable with and makes them work their brain to get food. It is a life saver when it comes to the long winter days when it is too snowy or icy to take long walks.

Hiding treats and toys then having her find them

is another option for a bored puppy. It is lots of fun for the dog and both physically and mentally exhausts them.

7 days out from surgery, the incision is actually at its weakest.

A little walk around the backyard, to the mailbox and back, around the block to pee, etc is fine. Running and jumping is not. I've seen cats and dogs allowed loose after surgery get a touch of the zoommies, take a flying leap and land in the ER with some gruesome results. Internal organs don't like being outside the body.

My vet told me it was okay to walk Mya after the first day. i kept her on a short leash and did not walk far but just around inside the yard to help her relieve some of the energy she had. She even had swelling because of an allergic reaction to the stitches used that we had to take her in and have drained and when I asked them he still said she was healing great and a walk on a short leash so she could not jump or run hard was fine. She has healed fine and is doing great. You can barely see her incision now.

Yes and no. You still need to keep him quiet to prevent post op complications (incision opening, infections, seromas, hematomas, etc). However, a neuter doesn't involve opening the abdomen, so the overall risks are much lower. I've taken neuters on short walks around the neighborhood just a few days later if there was no swelling.

Thank you all for your input I think i very much like the idea of letting her sniff out kibble in the grass, And I got her a few kong bones and balls and things and a deer antler, oh she loves that antler but little stinker has it grown down so much I had to take it away from her. I will fill the kongs with nummies for all 3 dogs so everyone feels they get a fun treat :)

Well stick to the yard for awhile longer before we venture off for a walk, I just had a vision running into someone walking a dog, some sort of pull or something ripping her open dear goodness we do not want that! I did take the cone off of her today she did pretty well without it. She is doing anything to keep that thing off her head even resisting temptation to lick

So Liz you recommend total confinement? I have been blessed with easy dogs. They pretty much self regulated but I watched them closely. Mine were walking after a day...walking not running or jumping but walking none the less. Not long purposeful walks maybe out to the barn or out to wander the yard a bit. Short easy walks. No one suffered any ill effects. Maybe we were just lucky.

Me too. Out of 4 dogs and 1 bitch none has ever come to any harm. The bouncier and more reckless ones have needed to be watched a bit more carefully, that's all.

The only advice my vet has given is to be guided by the dog.I assume she thinks I am sensible enough to know what she means and won't take what she would consider unreasonable risks.

They told me 6 to 8 weeks she can do nothing, that is why I asked nothing for so long seems a bit much. We are doing pretty good with her letting her chase a stick as we go around in circles, hunting for kibble is her new fav game light play nothing much seems to keep her somewhat mellow.

Yes, 6-8 weeks sounds like an abnormally long time for a routine spay. I would call the vet to re-confirm - and to make sure I heard correctly (since my hearing isn't as good as it used to be.)

Engage her in focus activities - which use her mind rather than her body. Start teaching her the names of a toy or 2, and have her choose it from 2 offerings (i.e. offer 2 or 3 toys, and she has to pick the correct one.)

She does that! We will tell her what we want her to get and she knows just what we mean. She is learning so much every day and really has a good memory on her! She has is so funny every time she is told she cant do something she will come sit or lay at my side, if she just can not stay put and gets told a couple times she will just go into her crate and lay down in a huff I tell her being a Gidget isn't easy lol

We just really are trying everything to keep her happy and mind active:) But not let her over run us she would play 24/7 if we would let her. I feel she has to know and understand "enough" and just chill out when told. That and our poor coffee table is not her fort to play under ( lots of glass ) nor are the legs fun chew toys

My dog was doing zoomies around the house about 6 days after surgery. So, I caved and we went on short, calm walks throughout the day to help with the pent-up energy. She did develop some swelling, but that was there because of the zoomies. Short of crating her 24/7 except for potty breaks, there was little I could do to stop her. Short, calm, leashed, walks seemed to ease her through days 6-10. My vet said 10 days was long enough. I did VERY closely monitor her incision.

Thank you, we are on just 7 days as of today so think its best we just keep her on this stay calm routine. Thing is she does pretty well with it all day but once evening hits she is full bore wanting to play run and all the fun things. I have been filling the kongs one for each dog every evening they are loving it

• 6 years later...

I have a 7 month old Husky mix (Pomsky?) and age weighs 42 pounds. I’m supposed to get her spayed next week but am worried about the timing and healing. Is it correct to do it before her first heat? I’m getting mixed messages. Will it stop her growth? 
in terms of healing, she’s just learning how to sleep in crate at night and be in it during day. She still gets anxious in crate. Will it be ok to have her in there with a cone? I don’t want her to lose her training but wonder if it will aggravate her. Finally, how many days before a nice 10-20 minute walk? Thanks so much! She’s my first pet and I’m nervous :)