BC Boards

Finding a Home or Rescue for a 14 Month Old Timid BC in Texas

A friend of mine has taken in a 14 Month Old Border Collie named Meg. She is a short-haired, black and white, unspayed (I believe) female who was bred for work (I think she's registered with ABCA). We don't know exactly what happened, but too much force was used on her when she was started training on sheep, and now she is scared of most everything - people, dogs, venturing out of her kennel. She has been in her current home for about a month, and exposed to sheep several times. She shows interest for about a minute, then starts searching for a way to escape (if she's not in an enclosed pen, she runs back to her kennel). She is very friendly, but also very timid. She feels safe in her kennel, and has begun to play with other dogs some when she comes out (although her tail is typically tucked under, and it doesn't take much for her to spook, put her head down, and run back into her kennel). She seems to like people (once she gets the courage to approach them) and seems to really enjoy petting, but lacks a lot of confidence.

My friend was hoping to get her interested in sheep again and then find a working home for her around here. However, it doesn't look like she'll be working sheep any time soon, and she may never become a working dog, so a pet or sport home would be best for her. We've reached out to people we know His plan is to take her to the local shelter here, and hope she gets adopted out, unless we can find a better option (I think she might only get 6-8 days at the shelter? :( ).

We are located near the Midland/Odessa area of Texas. I have heard of Arizona Border Collie Rescue and All Border Collie Rescue in Texas from these boards. Are there any other ones around here that you all might recommend (that might be closer)? Also, what's the best way to get a dog into a rescue? Do you generally have to drive the dog to the rescue area? I'm guessing she would be a good candidate for a rescue group? (Hopefully)?! She's a very sweet dog, and I'd love to see her go into a good home - if anyone has any tips on getting her on a good path for that, please let me know. Thank you! :)

Also, if you or someone you know around this area might be interested, please feel free to PM me! :)

post-16063-0-93274400-1401667094_thumb.jpg

Definitely contact All Border Collie Rescue and Arizona BC Rescue to let them know of Meg. They are reputable rescues.

Hopefully they will have a foster home for her. If not, they may anticipate that one or two will open up soon, so if you can keep her until then, they can take her once a foster home opens up. (At least, we often will try and work out such arrangements in the BC rescue I volunteer for.) If they agree to take her, they will also work on transport arrangements. Of course, any transport or fostering help you can offer will be greatly appreciated since many rescues are over-committed.

She sounds like a great dog for a rescue group. I have heard of many shy dogs that will blossom with time and become 'normal'. Please do everything you can to get her into rescue as opposed to the local shelter. As you have already discovered, pets generally do not get much time (if any) at the local animal shelters (depending on state laws).

I agree with Jovi--please do not let her go to the shelter. In many states, owner turns in are given just 72 hours and I think she would be considered an owner turn in.

The rescues around here will usually work to arrange transport, so you shouldn't have to drive all the way to, say, Arizona to get her in rescue. If, as has been said, you are willing to help with temporary foster and transport, I'm sure the rescue would be thrilled for the help.

Finally, FWIW, one month is not near enough time to know what she will or won't do on stock, especially for a young dog coming out of a less than ideal situation. She's barely adjusted to a new place, let alone gained the confidence to work. (I have a 13-month-old dog I am *just* starting on stock with a mind to really start training vs. just seeing what she'll do--I'd make no judgments about lack of keenness at this point, if my dog was reacting the way Meg is.) I can understand if your friend doesn't have the time to work with her, but I certainly wouldn't say she's a dog who would never work stock. Still, rescue is probably the best, safest place for her.

J.

I agree with others that rescue will be the best option for her. They'll have the resources to be able to work with her and to allow her to gain confidence at her own pace, whereas a shelter is likely to shut her down even more. Many border collies don't do well in shelter environments, even when they don't enter with the kids of issues that she has. Even if she never works sheep again, so what? It won't be the end of the world for her, and maybe it'll be the beginning. At least she'll end up in a home where she's loved and cared for.

And, yes, most rescues will do what they can to arrange transports. It's possible that you or the current FH may have to help with that, especially the initial leg, since you're a distance from the rescues, but where there's a will, there's a way. You might even find some people to help through these Boards.

Good luck, best wishes, and many thanks to both you and your friend for caring enough to help her.

AZBCR worked very closely with Border Collie Rescue Texas, Inc in getting those of the TX puppy mill dogs we obtained safe into our rescue. They took on most of the burden for cataloging the dogs and organizing with other rescues. They are quite reputable. Here is their contact info page:

http://www.bcrescuetexas.org/contact.html

We do occasionally take in dogs from longer distances if foster placement/transport can be arranged (and temperament and breed is verified).