BC Boards

biting the leash

Another problem I have is Skye bites the leash or won't move unless she has the buckle end in her mouth. So if she is walking with it in her mouth she is not paying any attention to walking and just circles around. It's play. Or she collapses and refuses to walk. This also will make it hard to put her on a long lead while walking her outside for a bathroom walk and to keep her away from things she should not eat and then refuses to come when called. I purchased a spray that is meant to deter cats and dogs that has hot pepper oil, or capsaicin in it. HaHa...I sprayed it on the leash and my shoes. She licked her lips tasting something once but it did not deter her at all. I wonder if others have solutions that have worked?

Do not know if this will help. When one of my dogs was a pup she would grab and play with the leash made walking her a pain. I just changed to a light weight metal chain leash and the behavior stopped on its own. Was able to go back to a leather leash once the behavior was changed and she matured a little,

Mine still loves to grab his leash when he gets excited.

You could try putting it on command. We play tug and I encourage him to take the leash, then when I am done playing I tell him 'that's enough' which means drop the leash and walk nicely again. That way he still has opportunies for leash tugging, but only when I allow it. You can buy soft leashes for this game too.

Or you could just work on 'drop it' and use that for anything she picks up.. toys, food, leash, your shoes. :)

Another problem I have is Skye bites the leash or won't move unless she has the buckle end in her mouth. So if she is walking with it in her mouth she is not paying any attention to walking and just circles around. It's play. Or she collapses and refuses to walk. This also will make it hard to put her on a long lead while walking her outside for a bathroom walk and to keep her away from things she should not eat and then refuses to come when called. I purchased a spray that is meant to deter cats and dogs that has hot pepper oil, or capsaicin in it. HaHa...I sprayed it on the leash and my shoes. She licked her lips tasting something once but it did not deter her at all. I wonder if others have solutions that have worked?

I know I shouldn't laugh but your description is so clear. Bratty girl lol

. I think since she's getting a bang out of working you, that you should probably turn the table and drop the leash the minute she puts it in her mouth and just refuse to do anything but study the nearest tree. (Might want to put your foot on the leash discreetly when you drop it). It may take quite an investment of your time but you can always reinforce it the same way as life goes on for silly adult dogs who get spring fever and decide to have a go too. Doing nothing gets really old when the dog begins to suspect she's causing it ...and the best part is you don't need to have said a word.

Gidget has bitten through all the leashes, those razor sharp teeth of hers. I have started to just say No very firmly she is getting the idea. trying to get it out of her mouth and all just gives her more time to chew lol. she is doing much better but it is a slow process, playing with that leash is just so much fun for her!

I use food to teach pups to walk on a lead and do not have a problem with dogs grabbing leads. I teach loose lead walking on both sides luring/rewarding with food for being there. And since when they take the food the lead is not in their mouth it isn't a problem. If you time it before pup grabs the lead it works great.