BC Boards

Bordeteila vaccination?

Lizabeth

I have heard this is something that is not necessary as it is like a common cold and it passes. Then again I have heard this is a much needed vaccine. I have been banging my head as to should I or shouldn't I with Gidget. I am thinking she is going to be out and about in public around other dogs often so its a good idea to get it for her. I know I have spoken to many people at the dog park who do not get this vaccination for their dogs which sort of makes me wonder if that is an outbreak waiting to happen or is this really not such a serious thing?

If you're planning on boarding Gidget, the kennel will probably require it.

I just got my youngest dog re-vaccinated for Bordetella after discussing things with the handler I was sending him off to train with. We both expressed some personal dubiousness as to its necessity, but we'd both been told by our vets (who we trusted) that it was a Very Good Thing for dogs likely to come in contact with other dogs. He'd decided to recommend it for dogs in for training with him.

I have worked in a grooming/daycare facility for many years. The one and only time a dog had kennel cough, the dog had just had the vaccine that week. We don't even require it for grooming customers just daycare dogs. If your dog is only going outside to parks and meeting dogs she doesn't need it in my opinion. There is a reason it is called kennel cough-places require it for liability reasons and because some cram a lot of dogs in small spaces without good ventilation/sanitation.

I have never given it to my dog. Besides, it seems like many agree that it only protects for up to 6 months and I don't know anyone who gives there dog the vaccine every 6 months.

Sorry, but those links are anti-vaccine crap.

Here's a quote from the first one:

"What is interesting is that when you bring your dog to the vet for his Bordetella vaccination, he will have already been exposed to the natural flora: all animals are exposed to both Bordetella and Parainfluenza prior to vaccination. It makes little sense to vaccinate an animal for something he has already been exposed to."

It makes total sense. It's why you get boosters to vaccines. Immunity can wear off over time.

Checked out the author of the article, and she also advocates homeopathy. And here's this quote from her website: "Mercury is underlying all the disease that we are suffering."

Which wins the prize as the most absurd thing I've read this month.

We can have legitimate discussions about whether the cost of a bordetella vaccine is worth it given the nature of the disease, but this kind of anti-vaccine BS is dangerous.

IIRC they all refer to the work that Dr. Ronald Schultz is doing with vaccines.

I guess his research is all crap, too. . . .

There's lots of other information about the ineffectiveness of bordatella vaccines -- especially the fact that they include only 2 strains out of many -- readily available if you care to look it up. I chose a couple articles that were succinct and easily readable.

It's essentially like trying to vaccinate against the common cold, just too many strains to make it practical. Even flu shots for humans are a crap shoot. They guess at which strains may be circulating that year and hope they include the right ones. I for one have gotten the flu despite having had the vaccines.

LOL. Thanks for your reply Jim. Very much to the point. B)

Like the common cold, most dogs will fight off kennel cough just fine. Some, usually pups, the very old, brachiocephalic breeds and immune compromised individuals, will develop pneumonia, get very sick and may even die. Boarding kennels and daycare facilities require the vaccine with hopes of taking advantage of "herd health." Even if the vaccine is not 100% effective, if everyone is vaccinated, the chances of an outbreak are very low. They worry because 1) an outbreak will shut down their business and 2) people tend to be quick to place blame and point fingers.

I give it to my dogs because I take them to work with me and my work place requires the vaccine. I think the trade off (almost non existent chance of reaction to the intranasal vaccine vs leaving the dogs at home) is worth it.

I don't vaccinate mine. We travel to trials, etc. We live on a farm that has a boarding kennel. In all the years I have had dogs, we've had one outbreak of kennel cough. I don't think it's worth the cost/effort.

And for places that require it, I certainly hope that they don't vaccinate *the day of* a procedure or the first day of boarding or whatever. For unvaccinated dogs, this is tantamount to wasting a vaccine, IMO. There's no way a dog going in for a procedure at a vet practice is going to be protected from bordatella it's exposed to the same day it's vaccinated. And yes, I've had vets try to require a vaccine the day my dog was going in for a procedure. What the hell?

J.

GentleLake, I couldn't say about Ronald Schultz's research, but the article you linked to was, indeed, crap.

I'm not particularly pro- or anti- bordetella vaccines -- I get them when a kennel requires me to, and not otherwise.

My objection is to the anti-vaccine hysteria and mis-information campaign, which that article contributed to. Sounds like that wasn't your intent and if that's the case I hope you'll take no offense.

So what is the latest research from Ronald Schultz on Bordetella vaccines?

A Comparative Study of Protective

Immunity Provided by Oral, Intranasal and Parenteral Canine Bordetella bronchiseptica Vaccines

Intern J Appl Res Vet Med • Vol. 11, No. 3, 2013

Laurie J. Larson, Bliss E. Thiel, Patricia Sharp, Ronald D. Schultz

Conclusion

Results of this study show that oral attenuated

Bordetella bronchiseptica vaccine

protects dogs from challenge which created

significant disease in non-vaccinated and

challenged control dogs. This protection

was equivalent to that induced by intranasal

Bordetella bronchiseptica vaccine, and was

superior to protection provided by the killed,

subcutaneously administered vaccine.

The issues with Bordetella vaccinces are similar to those for vaccines against other bacteria; short DOIs as compared to vaccines against viruses.

......which sort of makes me wonder if that is an outbreak waiting to happen or is this really not such a serious thing?

Our dogs get bordatella vaccines/boosters. There have been 2-3 times over the years I’ve pulled dogs from shelters that ended up having KC. Thankfully, none of mine got it. Was it because of the vaccines or was it because they were in good health to begin with?? I don’t know. But with JJ being almost (best guess) 12 yrs old, I’m not going to take any chances.

my Poppy will be 15 4th of July I do get it for her because its like an ounce of prevention to try to keep the old girl up running happy and healthy. I spoke with 4 vet offices about this today. I found it interesting that 3 told me if my dog is going to be going to the dog park or anywhere where other dogs will be she should have it. The 4th office told me unless she is going to puppy daycare or be boarded when I go on vacation that their is really not necessary. One of the vet offices said if I were to bring her in for her spay it would be required!! I am not going to bring her there. Made her appointment just left the vaccine open until the appointment date

I don't vaccinate my dogs against it for the same reasons as Julie. My dogs mix with many hundreds of dogs on a regular basis at agility shows but outbreaks are very rare.

The KC rule is that a dog must not attend a show if it has contracted or knowingly been exposed to any infectious or contagious disease within 21 days of the show. Not everyone sticks to the letter of the rule and those who do vaccinate generally do so in an attempt to avoid losing entry fees although there is no exemption under the rule for dogs that have been exposed even if they are vaccinated. I would very much doubt that the number vaccinated anywhere near approaches the percentage needed to provide herd immunity.

We have just had the worst outbreak at training in 15+ years. Over half the dogs in one class went down with it but none of the dogs in the next class got it even though they would have passed the affected dogs at changeover. The only dogs that got it from our other training evening were 2 that had also been in the affected class and they didn't pass it on.

To contain the outbreak we cancelled training for 2 weeks as being the outside incubation period normally quoted and gave advice to members on how long to stay away if their dog had had it. Scarily vet advice they had received was all over the place including "It isn't kennel cough because coughing up white froth isn't a symptom" and "You can go back to training as soon as your dog stops coughing."

Since resuming training only one other dog has come down with it from the same class and it has been kept away, which is what normally happens.

The only time any of mine have had it is when I have first adopted them and even then it hasn't passed to my existing dogs. The only exception to that was the one time I did have them vaccinated and they all developed it 2-3 months later.

I'm worried that people are being encouraged to vaccinate on the day it is required since the infective agent can be shed for a couple of weeks after and it isn't effective immediately. The kennels I use require vaccination to be done at least 2 weeks before boarding. They much prefer dogs to be vaccinated but keep it quiet that they will make the odd exception for someone they know who won't expect to claim on their insurance if their dog gets it.

If I had a dog with health problems that could be seriously affected if it caught such a disease I would vaccinate but I don't have any like that so I don't. For me the risk doesn't justify the cost. It would be different if it were a potentially life threatening disease but for most dogs and owners it's little more than an inconvenience that isn't as bad as it sounds.

I have decided to get the vaccine for Gidget. Simply due to the fact that she has had enough drama and stresses in her life, shes doing great shes healthy happy and adjusting to her new world. So with that in mind I have thought it over my goal is to keep her on the rite path avoiding any illness or dangers so she can just be her cute little self. If I can avoid putting her at risk of sickness even if it is just for 6 months then that is what I will do for her. Well see where were at next year when its time to update her shots. I am going to be needing surgery soon I want to be sure that everything is in place before I go in so that my daughter doesn't have other things to contend with unt op of our daily routines it will be enough to have to deal with me not being very mobile for a few weeks don't need to risk a dog with KC.

I work in a VERY large daycare and boarding facility, we do NOT require it, most people don't get the vaccine so there is no "herd immunity" going on(the vets here don't recommend it either and they know we don't require it) in my 5.5 years there has been exactly 1 kennel cough outbreak...and it was almost exclusively among the vaccinated dogs the outbreak was also everywhere, it came from a flyball tournament a province over, spread through the sport dogs, the dog park and the kennels. there has also been 2-3 other "mini" outbreaks that were like 5 dogs per "outbreak" again, mostly amongst the VACCINATED dogs. I personally think the Bordatella Vaccine is more then worthless lol