BC Boards

When to start agility?

Lunar

I'm in a bit of a quandry here. I don't know if I should start agility now, or hold off.

The problem is that I'm still in college. I'm planning on getting a puppy after I graduate, when my fiance and I have fenced the yard and our life is stable. But right now during the semester I'm living with my parents and Oreo - Oreo is my dog that my dad "half" owns - she will be staying here when I move because this is her home, this is her family, and I feel it wouldn't be fair to her to uproot her, espeically at this age.

Oreo is 9 years old. She's slowing down a little, but I think she would still have fun learning new things. But I only have 8 months here. I know to do agility, at least around here, you have to take a "pre-agility" course before you can even take the beginners courses.

So my problem is, would it be better to learn agility along with my new puppy when she's old enough? Or would it be better for me to learn the basics beforehand? I don't even know how much classes Oreo and I would be able to do before I moved (and once I move there's no way I can contiue it, I'll be too far away). Would that be fair to her? Or would it be beneficial to her if I did just a few things with her now?

Granted money is very tight on a college budget, I'm not making much, so the decision may be made for me.

I've just started agility this year so I'm no expert, but my reply is condensed from what I've absorbed so far.

Most people feel like the first dog they do agility with suffers a good bit from the fact that they are just learning themselves. In a lot of ways, agility is actually harder for the human to learn than the dog. A mistake on the course is *always* the human's fault, so you can see how this would be the case.

That said, you might as well get started on your long path towards being a competent agility handler. Oreo won't mind being your guinea pig as long as you remember to always keep it fun for her. This isn't as easy as it sounds, so you'll need to learn to recognize the signals when your dog is becoming stressed and how to change what you're doing whenever you see those signals. They might be a lot subtler than you expect. One of the great benefits of doing agility together is a much refined understanding of your dog's various forms of communication.

From your previous descriptions of Oreo, she doesn't seem likely to be in the top tier of ribbon winners, so I would recommend that you not even allow that to become one of your goals. Just work on going for a clean run, regardless of time. You'll want to learn how to give clear signals as a handler, and a clean run will indicate that you are doing a good job with that. Training for speed is important, but I think with Oreo you can probably skip that. The next pup will be along soon enough!

Yes, that does make sense.

And no, I would definitely never aim for anything like ribbons with Oreo! The big munchkin would never be able to compete with real agility dogs. I just want to do it because it would be a lot of fun, hopefully for both of us. Also, you mentioned that communication between dog and handler - I love doing things that make that bond even tighter. Oreo and I already have an understanding you can only get after years and years together, and everything I do with her... it means so much.

Oh, and training on speed, I think with Oreo I'd just be focussing on keeping her moving. :rolleyes: Yes, she really can be that lazy.

Thank you for your input!

Where I train, we have quite a few older dogs starting agiity just for fun, with no expectations of competing at all. We keep the jumps low for them, and modify equipment if we need to for them. It's a great idea, if Oreo's game, to start with her so you learn the handling, and then you'll be a big step ahead whenever you get your new dog. By the way, if you get proficient enough with your own handling skills, I bet there's someone who would let you take a test drive with their fast BC in class (at least we do that where I train in VA).

Originally posted by Lunar:

Also, you mentioned that communication between dog and handler - I love doing things that make that bond even tighter.

Hi there,

I think I met you at an agility practice in Langley back in the spring (I have the ball-obsessed smooth coated border collie with no tail and the crazy blue eye - remember)? Anyway, I think that any time you spend working on your communication is beneficial for both you and your dog, regardless of age, aspirations, etc. So if Oreo can go to only a few classes, I would take that opportunity. It's a fun way to spend a few hours, the dogs usually enjoy it, and I can't see what harm it would cause if Oreo were introduced to low jumps and tunnels, and then took a bit of a break.

JMO,

airbear - yes, I do remember you, what a shock it was to have someone recognize me from the internet. (It's a small world).

Thanks all for your opinions. My mom said she will help with costs, so now I'll just have to find a trainer who's offering a pre-agility course. I'm sure Oreo and I will enjoy ourselves.