BC Boards

Mental maturation

Two dogs beside me at the moment- one is the very definition of fawning and goofy, the other is staid and hasn't played with humans since she was a pup, both senior dogs of very different breeds and personalities, raised on roughly the same pattern with the same routine. I do love fawning and goofy if it's combined with politeness/not being an idiot, no comment on what that says about me. So goofy dog gets more attention, and has more of a bond with me, because she will play with me or sit quietly on my lap while I type, as now.

Sunday, I would suggest writing things down about what went well and what went wrong every day, for your own sake more than the dog's. I get days where I feel there's no progress been made and I write it all down... and I notice when I compare back that those days are getting less frequent and the behaviour itself is getting better. A 'really bad day' now is not what it used to be. You can also notice patterns in the behaviour more easily over time.

Gentlelake- I have one of those in double figures. :rolleyes: Act your age, dog! I hope yours works out better! :D

Camden's Mom,

Definitely don't think it's unethical to tell someone something slightly untrue in order to gain the behavior you want out of Camden. You're not telling a white lie to take advantage of someone, or abusing any type of system or establishment's rules. I think this is your way of not being rude to the stranger and convincing him/her, "to just listen to you already!"

Sorry to not address the maturity issue.

Nathan- I agree. You look great in that dress, I'm going that way anyway (walking someone home/giving them a lift), and the dog's in training for the frail grandmother. The wd40 of social life, avoiding friction and making things go easier.

Nathan- I agree. You look great in that dress, I'm going that way anyway (walking someone home/giving them a lift), and the dog's in training for the frail grandmother. The wd40 of social life, avoiding friction and making things go easier.

^^^Yes

Tucker is just a little over two now. He has had some interesting (ahem…) issues, to the point where a vet behaviorist is involved. I have done a lot of work with him, and a TON of impulse control work, and he was gradually improving. Finally got him neutered at two. Didn't expect much, since none of his issues seemed "male" related. Well, six or so weeks after the neutering, he suddenly turned over a new leaf and is considerably mellower. His overall arousal level is much, much lower, and it seems like he is able to hold it together better. Like I said, I've done a ton of work with him, and maybe it's a coincidence and maturity is just (FINALLY) setting in, but there was such a palpable difference, I really do think the neutering had something to do with it.

Leslie