BC Boards

Gidget's story

I met a couple while walking Gidget, they were pointing at her talking and I knew they knew her, they did. They told me about how she had belonged to their neighbor brought home as a sweet adorable little puppy then she grew and grew. She was always screamed at and hit with both hands, sticks, even the guys belt. they called her things like dumb and stupid, said you cant teach her anything! She was an out of control dog that would run away only to receive a beating when she returned.

They told me that Gidget would rear up hair on end tail between her legs and nip and fight back when the man would go after her with sticks and belt ( can not blame her ) Then one day Gidget was gone. they said she ran away and they hope she never comes back!!

Shortly after the people saw their neighbor with a new cute adorable little puppy in their yard. This time its a pit pup. The poor thing. they no longer speak to this neighbor from seeing all the bad things that Gidget suffered.

I did ask 2 things of them. 1 that they never ever tell these people that they saw or know about Gidget. 2 when the neighbors start abusing their new puppy to please please please Report them dont just sit back and say and do nothing

Oh and her name was Checkers, she does not even respond to that name but when you say Gidget ears perk and head goes up and she comes rite to you :)

She came quite a few miles for a dog to end up in my neighborhood but i can guess how she managed to end up here following the river all the way. I just think somehow something brought her here it was meant to be. And that is why she ended up on my front porch and into my heart

Bless her soul and yours. I am so glad she is out of that cruel situation and loved by your. You both are very fortunate to have found each other. And I hope as you said these people turn their neighbors in if they start beating on the puppy. Too many people stay quiet and say nothing.

Gidget is amazing shes so smart and so so full of love. Shes a little pistol that girl but so wanting to please! Shes always watching over me especially when we go for walks, She and I have both been through and survived horrible situations I think we make a good team her and I. Last night she did the coolest thing! We were on a short walk as my knee and neck were killing me I could not for the life of me get my darn knee to bend to step up on the sidewalk so I told Gidget ok now this is serious I need your help She got at my side her body against my leg and together we got that darn knee to work so I could get up on that sidewalk. She looked at me like you got it? i said ok girl lets head on home nice and easy and nice and easy she got me home with no problems!!! I know we are meant to be together I just hope she knows that no one is ever ever going to hurt her or neglect her ever again! Without going into details I have always had a guardian angle up above looking out for myself and my children, my children know this true as well as I do. Somehow someway I feel that my little angle up above found a way to bring Gidget and I together. Sorry if that sounds kooky

So many times in recent posts you've said how Gidget has been such a blessing for you and how lucky you feel to have her in your life. I just wanted to point out that you have been the same, if not so much more, to her.

Thank you for rescuing this dog from a truly terrible situation. I can only imagine the gratitude (or doggy version of gratitude) that Gidget must feel. Here's to many happy, healthy years together. It sounds like you two really were meant to be together. :wub:

A strange thing happened tonight I am not quite sure what to make of it. I was at the mail box with Poppy and Gidget getting the mail, 2 girls who jog past our house often were going past the dogs naturally went to great them I said no on stay here and both did as I said I got the mail and one of the girls said Is that your dog? I said yes it is, she said whats its name i answered Gidget, she said Pippy Pippy, Gidget did nothing, then she said call it ( yes called her it every time ) i said Gidget. Gidget who was sitting up on the ledge looked at me all happy like what u want. Then the girl walked closer to us saying Pippy Pippy and Gidget reared up on her back legs front in the air just barking and not a happy bark no a very serious dont come any closer to my mommy bark it was a warning bark. Kim was in bed sleeping shes got a horrible fever she woke up cane outside to see what was wrong ( thats the kind of bark )

I just turned told Gidget it was ok and asked her to help me up the hill and she did as i asked the girl kept on her way. All this time the other girl with her didnt say a word she acted more anoied that their jog was interrupted.

Not sure what to think of any of this. Not sure if she has a dog like Gidget at home and thought maybe her dog got loose? Or maybe the people who said she was this Checkers dog didnt know they had changed its name to Pippy? I dont know I just do not know

The animal shelter did tell me that by law you have to try to find its owners for 3 days they told me we went above and beyond looking and waiting for her owners to find her we contacted everyone and anyone posters and all vets you name it. The lady I spoke too also said from seeing Gidget when we found her to seeing her now and all the progress over the 3 weeks we had her searching for her owners collected with the fact they never bothered to go looking for her or they would have found me. The lady said she is mine legally and morally her advice was if the owners were to show up now the worst thing to do is give her up to return to that life where she is not getting proper basic training or the attention a dog deserves

Im stressing yes I do not know just what I would do if they try to say she is theirs. Never did this girl say thats my dog, never did she try to ask me any other questions then the ones I said above. And Gidget sure as heck wanted nothing to do with this young lady. Honestly I do not know of any excuse anyone can give me for NOT trying to find her in all this time it is almost a month. Combined with those people telling me about the abuse and neglect Sorry I will not let Gidget go back to a life like that

Something you may want to do, just to put your own mind at ease, is write down and document all that you did to try to find the former owners. The info may seem fresh in your mind now, but in a few more weeks, months, or a year the details might become foggy.

Track the date you found the dog, when you called the animal shelter, the contact info of the person you spoke with and what specific advice they gave you regarding your responsibility to find the previous owners. Make note of the vets you contacted, the date and who you spoke with. Keep a copy of the fliers you made and make a list of the areas you posted them and approximate dates that they were hanging. If you posted an ad on Craig's list or another website trying to find the owners print out a copy of it (if possible) or just make note that you did so and the dates that the ad was online.

Document every effort you made to find the previous owners and the time span in which you did those things, then save it on your computer or tuck it away in a filing cabinet and try not to worry. It seems extremely unlikely to me that you'll ever have to defend your ownership of Gidget.

As for the jogging girl, it just seems odd that she was calling Gidget by an entirely different name then her current or previous one. Maybe it was just a case of mistaken identity? Perhaps, long ago, she had a dog that looked sorta' like Gidget that ran away? Who knows... people can be weird. :P

Thank you all good idea to put it all down all the dates I suffer from memory loss so that's really a good idea. I can back track all we did and dates as we got emails to confirm when we posted, I also think Kimberlie can figure out what dates she contacted other places, The vets I know were all called over the first 2 days, posters went up next day thank you I will put that all down today just to document this all

About the jogger we had no visitors last night. Still not sure what to think, I will see how things go over the next few days. I was to call for her appointment today for her spay I am still going to do this, We all decided last night that before we would even think about turning Gidget over to anyone at this point they would have to have some darn good answers to a bunch of hard direct questions. I do not take adopting an animal into my life lightly its a serious thing, a commitment for life, I have made that commitment to Gidget now its my job to keep her safe and loved.

We have seen the jogger and her friend a few times since that day, She says nothing, avoids getting too close to our house, staying far on the other side of the road or entering the woods on the trail just before our house. If Gidget sees her its not so good she barks and throws a bit of a fit So I will try to look out for her keep her mind off things just to avoid seeing Gidget getting stressed. So far so good

If Gidget sees her its not so good she barks and throws a bit of a fit So I will try to look out for her keep her mind off things just to avoid seeing Gidget getting stressed.

It's probably best not to write a story in your mind about who this jogger may or may not have been to Gidget in her past life. It's possible Gidget has never seen this woman in her life but just didn't like the way she was approaching her the one time they interacted.

I'd absolutely discourage and distract her from "over the top" barking at this woman running down your street. You don't want to risk the behavior expanding to her barking or throwing a fit when other people are running, biking, skateboarding, etc. past your property.

Well I am happy to say that my little Gidget is doing very well in most areas! We have let her off leash in the yard a few times, usually its to come and go somewhere in the truck, now and then well let her free in the yard. It is sort of a maybe she will maybe she wont run off kind of thing, but the few times she does leave the yard she comes rite back usually with no problems! She is adjusting and learning no matter what she does she will not be abused. She looks to me when shes unsure of things, I just tell her all is fine and off she goes content with my measurement.

We did have an issue with a friends dog that came over, all was great tell i filled 2 bowls of water, Gidget decided the visiting dog was not to go near "her bowl of water" we had a bit of a issue the visiting dog a heeler shep mix just took it all in stride did not react. Then it was over and no more issue.

She is just awesome now in the truck she does not jump out anymore and run away when the door opens. I have her sit behind the drivers seat and wait for the old dog to unload and only come out after i move the seat up and tell her to come! Such a smart girl she is!

All is going great, tomorrow she goes in for spay and chip.

I just love seeing her feeling relaxed and comfortable and safe in her world, I can not speak for Gidget but I bet she would tell you shes happy and knows shes safe and loved

Now if we can just get her to stop stressing about the darn cat oh my goodness. They have a truce now, Gidget does not grawl at her and she stays out of the cats room. The stalking is getting better actually at the moment the cat is out and Gidget is not even bothering to care or look at her.

You know I expected to have issues teaching Gidget to leave my bird alone, worried about bird on the floor or things like that. Not a problem ( i do keep close and a watchful eye naturally ) its just she cant figure out that darn cat and why it is in her house lol