BC Boards

Where does your dog sleep?

Mine was crated with the door closed every night until he was one year old. Then I started sending him in his crate at bedtime, but left the door open. Now he is free to sleep wherever. If he's laying on the floor he will head to his crate on his own when I turn he lights off. He loves his crate.

He sleeps in there for most of the night, but in the morning when he wakes up he wanders around other places and a lot of times I wake up in the fetal position because there is a dog pressed against me.

It depends on who it is. Greyhounds aren't allowed to wander out of my bedroom. No good ever comes of wandering hounds. Retriever is stuck in there too. Collies get to wander;

they're girls, they know the score. All over the house on shifts of half an hour or so. At 6 in the morning collies arrive at my side of the bed for their noses to be kissed and squinched briefly. at which point they flop in with the greyhound till 7 when there's more snuggles before reluctant up.

Yes I agree! NO GOOD comes from wandering hounds! So my Italian Greyhounds are crated at night. Winter (terrier) Piper (border collie) and Dexter (border collie) are also crated ... Winter because he's frenetic about everything, including "discovering" me in the middle of the night whilst I am sleeping, Piper because she is old and wanders around at night otherwise, and Dexter because it keeps him and TWooie (Aussie) apart as they are not pals. TWooie and his brother Wootie sleep on my bed with me, along with Spring (terrier). Tweed sleeps wherever he wants, but he is also old and has started clickity clicking around at night so I think I'll start crating him as well. The permafoster maltipoo sleeps wherever she wants.

Every night I have to bodily remove Wootie from my spot on the bed. He becomes dead weight and grumbles at me, but it's just our routine. Spring sleeps by my head, the Aussies more toward my feet. Cats sleep all over the damn place, but Cyrus prefers to be on my body somewhere.

RDM

You know, it's funny - I don't make any of my adults sleep in crates at night and none really do at night (although Dean will occasionally crate himself for a nap during the day, and lately he has started crating himself during thunderstorms). But when we are on vacation, I always bring a portable crate for one of the dogs to sleep in (whichever one gets to it first!). They always vie for it eagerly. One time I actually found Speedy, Dean, and Tessa all curled up in it together! Which was incredibly adorable.

It's interesting. I think they like it because it's familiar, like a piece of home. I should probably take two, but they played round robin with it peaceably enough that I never bothered.

Yes I agree! NO GOOD comes from wandering hounds! So my Italian Greyhounds are crated at night. Winter (terrier) Piper (border collie) and Dexter (border collie) are also crated ... Winter because he's frenetic about everything, including "discovering" me in the middle of the night whilst I am sleeping, Piper because she is old and wanders around at night otherwise, and Dexter because it keeps him and TWooie (Aussie) apart as they are not pals. TWooie and his brother Wootie sleep on my bed with me, along with Spring (terrier). Tweed sleeps wherever he wants, but he is also old and has started clickity clicking around at night so I think I'll start crating him as well. The permafoster maltipoo sleeps wherever she wants.

Every night I have to bodily remove Wootie from my spot on the bed. He becomes dead weight and grumbles at me, but it's just our routine. Spring sleeps by my head, the Aussies more toward my feet. Cats sleep all over the damn place, but Cyrus prefers to be on my body somewhere.

RDM

lol

Now, I love my hound to death but he's an idiot.

And, if my son starts to leave his bed in the night I wake up before his other foot hits the floor.

But the collies blow me off after about 8 at night so I just ignore them...they're more on the human side of the ledger anyway...it would feel rude of me to bug them.

I have never owned a hound so what is the problem with letting them wander?!

By the way, I had a Miniature Schnauzer that was crated at night for all 12 1/2 years of her life because she would never tell me know when she needed to go out. I had another Miniature Schnauzer that was only crated when we lived in a home with hardwood floors in the bedroom. She was too small to jump up to the bed so she would go from one side of the bed to the other...click, click, click with her nails ALL NIGHT! Same Schnauzer in a different home would get upset if we went upstairs and didn't inform her it was bedtime (she was old and had a bed downstairs too).

Now, my German Shepherd sleeps in my room at the foot of my bed, in the living room or in the hall. Our new Border Collie puppy, who came home yesterday, should be sleeping in her crate because that is where puppies sleep. Last night she slept on the sofa with me....... dogs in my house are not allowed on the sofa!

• 2 weeks later...

Nelson slept in a crate in my bedroom as a puppy but he absolutely hated the crate (tried EVERYthing). So ever since he was 3 months old, he was just left in the apartment (one bedroom app). He never wants to go into the bedroom as he associates it with the crate I think. Occasionally - he is 2 now - he will come and jump up on the bed in the morning for a very short cuddle. He has never ever chewed on anything and he doesn't like to put things other then food and his toys in his mouth so we've never had any issues. 90% of the time he will fall asleep on his bed, sometimes he is on the couch or in front of the door. He never wanders around at night, goes to bed around 9:30PM and could easily stay there until 9:30AM without moving!

• 1 month later...

But the collies blow me off after about 8 at night so I just ignore them...they're more on the human side of the ledger anyway...it would feel rude of me to bug them.

This.

All the BC in my world want their "dog time" at night - usually whenever it gets dark, so it changes seasonally. They don't get outright annoyed when you bother them but there is a definite vibe of "I worked all day, came when you called, tried to figure out what you wanted, tried to do whatever thing that was and now I want some me time." Not quite a "bugger off" but a definite, "Do we have to do this NOW?"

I love that about them. But it disconcerts a lot of first time BC owners - that need for alone time.

Maple sleeps in her crate, which I pull up close to the bed in case I want to poke my fingers through the bars. I had it in the corner of my bedroom, but without a clear view of my bed, she whined for hours. Finally when I moved it over she fell asleep. To be honest, I like having her closer to me, so it's not an inconvenience. Once I can trust Maple not to fall off my bed/chew things/potty inside/hurt herself while I'm asleep, I'll start letting her sleep with me.

Pip sleeps with me some nights, but others she prefers to curl up in her tiny dog bed. She often wakes me up in the middle of the night to lift her off my bed or let her sleep with me.

I have never owned a hound so what is the problem with letting them wander?!

Hounds and their noses and alone time... BAD COMBINATION. My old Beagle I had was a terror if he wasn't contained in a room for the night... trash would always be EVERYWHERE in the morning! lol.

All my crew sleep in crates in my room at night except for Tucker and my Lab, Ally. They both sleep on my bed with me. I would crate them all but I actually enjoy dogs sleeping on the bed with me.. it's a reassuring feeling to me!

Molly, at 13 weeks sleeps where ever she wants now. She has never once gone in the house, reliably barks at the door to get let out and sleeps 8-10 hours at night if she's had a good exercise before bed.

Easy enough when you have other dogs who will alert you if anything starts getting chewed that is not supposed to be chewed, etc.

She is not a cuddly dog but likes to be close all the time - just not touching - and she HATES being picked up. When she is big enough to get onto the bed I won't mind her sleeping there, if she can find room, but she has to be able to get up and down on her own steam. I suspect she will still prefer the closet floor, under the dining table, beside her crate (sometimes in it, but usually only during the day).

My last dog, a husky, slept in my bed when I was single. When my status changed Seth was none to keen to share the bed. My wife wasn't keen on dogs so it was a big problem getting him to sleep on his dog bed. By the time he was 14 he was so crazy I had to put him outside in the garage to sleep. That drove me crazy. If you are single and think your status may change or you want it to change you might consider where your dog sleeps. If your new partner likes dogs in the bed you can always change.

Juno, who is now 9 months old has always slept in her crate and as far as I can tell she loves it. The crate is downstairs and closed. She runs to get in her bed around 11 and I get her up around 6:30. When I greet her in the morning she rolls on her back and won't leave the crate until I rub her tummy and play with her for at least 5 minutes.