BC Boards

Question: Agility weave poles

INU

There are generally 6 or 12 weave poles in competition. Some people train starting with 6, some people start with 12 but the ultimate goal is 12 so if you're building I'd go for 12 to begin with so you don't have to go back and make more! Rarely at a trial you'll see another number but I've only seen that once and I think there can never be more than 12 (I'm not sure though). As for distance between poles, most of the agility venues have different distances (which I think go from 18" to 21")and you can get the specifications from each organization's website. Sometimes inexperienced dogs will have a problem going from one distance between poles to another distance but with experience it's generally not an issue.

Good luck with your equipment building!!

Since I'm a beginner myself I'm not sure how accurate this is - I was told that once the dog knew how to do the poles it should be required to do at least 12 on a fairly regular basis since some dogs who continually practice on less will exit after completeing what they are normally asked to do instead of finishing a longer set.

If this is wrong I'm sure someone will correct me, but I thought I'd share what I'd been told.

Originally posted by INU:

How many weaves are usually there? Does anyone know how long the distance between each pole should be? Thanks!

I find the easiest and cheapest thing (provided you have a lawn that doesn't freeze up and enough space) is to buy 12 stick-in-the-ground electric fence poles. That way, you can vary the spacing and the # that you use. I slip a piece of PVC over the poles (you can add stripes with hockey tape). You also can make a 'channel' where the poles are off-set by a foot or so, which is the method that I used. Once the dog is running with enthusiasm through the channels (and finding her entrance from all kinds of weird angles, etc.) you can narrow the spacing gradually, until the dog is weaving a straight line of poles.

If you have a ballistic dog, you may want to invest in a proper competition set that can be staked (metal base with holders for the poles) fairly soon into the training so the dog gets used to the idea of weaving and not just pushing her way past poles that move.

This is Bear weaving on stick-in-the-grounds:

bear_weave.jpg

Wicked destroyed the stick-in-the-grounds. She was trained on 2x2 method, and then we finished with channels. This video is her weaving through a set of channels that have been staked, tied together, and pretty much made as rigid as possible: Wick Weaving Note that despite all of my attempts at reinforcement of the poles, they still 'give', which is not how a straight set of poles would work. Oh well, you get the idea.

Inu: We do the stick in the ground poles with PVC they have worked great just for our backyard fun agility. I got a children's tunnel for $25 bucks at toys r us. Rob is the tunneling fool. Our jumps are pvc. Don't have a walk or A frame or teeter but I am working on hubby to make them for us. We just play at it for fun. They love it!

The kids tunnels will hold up for a long time, especially if you keep the dogs nails trimmed short (a Dremel keeps them short and smooth, too). I wouldn't do it for a club or class situation, but the kids ones are a LOT cheaper than the "official" ones. Ours has last a year for 2 dogs with no obvious wear.

Also, you can get a 2" x 12" x 10' board and paint it with 3' yellow zones on each end. We painted the center 4' blue; you can also add sand to give a better gripping surface. This can be used to teach 2-on/2-off contacts as well as the start of the dog walk (get the dog used to running along a narrow board), all while the board is flat on the ground; or elevate it a little with bricks, or put one end up on porch steps for a bit of a ramp.

Deanna in OR

There are lots of agility items on ebay. We just got an 18 foot tunnel (wouldn't hold up for classes or competition, but great for the back yard). I'd recommend buying a set of weaves on a metal base; my BC Quest just pushes the stick in the ground poles out of the way; he doesn't weave, he bulldozes, and then at a trial he knocks himself out of the poles because they don't push out of the way! Sometimes if you bring the specs to a local high school shop class, they'll make equipment for you as a class project!

Barb S

Toys R US had two, a plastic one that was perforated with little holes and a nylon one the folds up with its own velcro straps. We went with the nylon. We have had it for a couple of years, and it still looks good as new. Hubby set me up with some sand bags to hold it in place. Rob screams through it. It is the only piece he does with any speed. :rolleyes: I get on line and see if I can find a picture of it.

We also made a chute out of a rubbermaid garbage can with the bottom cut off, duct tape and some old nylon tent material. It all has served our purpose since I do it with the dogs just for fun.