BC Boards

Reactive puppy

Hi!
Maybe for first I will introduce myself. I'm Klaudia from Poland, and I have 10 months old border collie.
I know that there is many topics describing reactivity, but I just have feeling that I have to share this with someone. I hope that you don't will be angry for that I ask for behavior which is in so many other topics.

So I have two dogs, but this is my first border collie. I was waiting for this dog over two years, preparing for new member of my dog family. But polish forums don't have much information's about reactivity, to be honest probably I haven't find any information of this behavior. So I wasn't really prepared for this situation. It's probably my fault that she act like that, maybe it's a lack of socialization or something like that, but when I get my dog in the same time i started to have some personal problems. I co-owned her with my breeder, and I can't deal with feeling that I really have disappointed her by this situation. I planned to go with her next year to dog shows, and some frisbee competitions, but it's impossible right now. But this is not the worst thing. The worst is that I can't even go to a really simple walk with her, because she is so excited, and she barking at every dog that we pass. Dogs can be at really big distance, sometimes, she even don't have to see them, but when she hear a bark, then she starting something that I called "border scream". It's not even barking it's......just terrible scream.

So I know that I probably have to teach her, that she have to gives me more attention, because she have a problem with that, when we are on walks. But can you give me some examples of exercises to teach her that?

Now we trying some BAT, but we after just three sessions, so I can't tell if that gives some results. Can you give me some tips? I just want to have a normal walk with my dog someday, and don't be stress about that other people, and my breeder think that I'am irresponsible person, which can't deal with her own dog, because I really trying to do something with this, but I think I don't exactly know how to behave in this situation .

I have some videos, where you can see what is the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqkGCWQ7fQk&feature=youtu.be

Sorry for all the language mistakes that I made, but english is not my native language.

For clarification: When you say that she is barking even when the other dogs are far away, how far away is she when she starts to react? In the video, it seems that the sounds of the other dogs are somewhat closer than I would consider as 'far away'.

I am just wondering if you need to get even farther away from other dogs to be able to keep her under threshold. My understanding is that she has to be under threshold before she can concentrate on any behavior modification training you are trying (BAT). And yes, that may be very difficult if you live in a city environment.

Others may have suggestions.

Generally this depends if she have good/bad day (but I don't know what decides about that, maybe when I get tired her a little before walk by fetching ball she is more calm ). For example there are some days, that she can pass dog who barking on the opposite side of the street (of course she is really exited, but she just can look at the dog, and go on), but there are also days, like today when we were standing in place, where 100 meters away are dogs and she know about that, because we passed this place in past (and also she can hear barking of this dogs, but she can't see them) and she begins to be highly excited, barks and pulls on leash.

At this point I try to keep her under the treshold, when she don't see dog, but she hear barking near, or when dog is in quite big distance, but she still can see him.

Some people say to me that she just have get used to dogs but I don't think this gonna work. I think that this will make things even worst.

I live in small village.

She looks full of energy! Run her off leash and burn some of that energy then clip the leash on her. While in an open area (field, park) set up a training situation. Have friends, family or your breeder stand with another dog far enough away so that your dog is not reacting. Then start training. As she improves, you work your way closer to the dog.

Watch your video with no sound on. Look at her mindset, she isn't even remotely aware of you or in a state of mind to learn (she is way over threshold). She needs to be calm to learn. You'll have to seek out and set up opportunities to train as just going on the street now is very over stimulating for her.

If you can, go on YouTube and watch training videos (searching reactive/reactivity/leash) and other key words). Kikopup has easy to follow videos for those new at this:

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=kikopup%20reactive%20dogs&sm=1

I would say to practice control when there are no dogs around first. Walking by your side and interacting with you on the walk will help when you want to get her attention later. Work on loose leash walking at your side or behind. You can't get control of her when something interests her if she's not paying attention at all. When you encounter other dogs etc say at a distance until you have that same at your side control as without dog. Then bring it closer and closer. If you have to get close to another dog turn around and walk a little the other way. If anything it will break her focus and if you've done the first steps without dogs around right she will start to remember what you are asking her to do. You don't need tons of treats etc when she's walking nicely by your side and looks up at you give her a "good". She will learn its more fun to walk with you then ahead of you. Everything else is easier once you have this relationship.

Watching this video it just seems like this pup is bursting with energy. Do you have a way of really wearing her out before you start a training session? I could be wrong, but from the video the body language reads as her being supersupersuper excited. You might set her (and yourself) up for better success if you can at least burn a little bit of that energy off before you start trying to train her to be calm on a walk.

It's pretty clear she's over threshold... I wouldn't even move forward with a dog that was acting that over the top excited. I would insist on some level of focus on me and stop all movement when she started pulling on the leash. Even if it means that throughout your entire walk you are having to ask her for other behaviors (looking at you, heeling, sit or down on command) I'd do everything in your power to keep her attention on you. I'm not trying to imply that this will be an easy task and I wish you the very best of luck channeling that energy into more productive behaviors!!

I also wanted to add that in your original post you sounded very guilt ridden about your situation. Honestly, it seems you are very committed to trying to help this dog NOW, regardless of what has happened in the past. It'll probably take a lot of time and patience as you help her learn to be calm and controlled but you are clearly trying really hard with her. Don't beat yourself up, try to remain positive and definitely don't worry about what anyone else thinks about you as an owner or your dog's behavior. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Yes, when she is a little more out of this whole energy, she act better, but she is still reactive. I will remember that I have to burn some of this excitement before walk.

On video she is over treshold, because I just want to show how she act :) On normal session I always trying to have her under the treshold.

Yeah I feel pretty guilty. I just know that not only me but also my dog is just tired of this situation, because she can't handle this whole emotions when she see other dogs. So I just want to help her :) Thanks for your support!

• 2 months later...

I just want to say that I almost deal with our problem. My breeder gave us so much help. In her case we just have to use correction, to give her a sign that it is a bad behaviour. And now I can go to a normal walk with my bc.

So I hope that this would be a motivation for other bc owners. Sometimes you just have to find a correct method for your dog.

Looks to me like you should try some frisbee or flyball :) and you need to determine a way to make a walk, her job. Clearly she has no desire for a leisure stroll, but if you can put her to work on a walk you may accomplish much! And if safe to do so, try biking with her. But she strikes me as a flyball dog.

Anyway thanks for response! :) Actually we doing some frisbee, and we take participation at camps.

It is totally true that when she doesn't have some work to do, she's trying to find some other way to relieve tension. As a result, she present a bad behaviour.