BC Boards

Herniated Disk

B Point

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a skeptic about acupuncture as well. I finally told myself it'd be irresponsible for me as a scientist to discard it without evidence. I used it for a dog who had joint issues. The first time the dog went in for treatment, he was VERY nervous. Sniffed the needles, kept waiting for something bad to happen to him. But - once the needles were in, he basically passed out - fell fast asleep for a good half an hour, something he NEVER does. Thereafter he was always thrilled when it was time for his therapy. I didn't need an animal communicator to be certain that it really felt good to him.

Best of luck for Tio's improvement! You're good folk to be giving this as much as you have.

I am a believer in rehab therapy (all three of my dogs have had some at one time or another), including cold laser and hydrotherapy (underwater treadmill), when indicated. I had always been skeptical about acupuncture but I also know many people who have found it very beneficial for themselves or their animals. If I had the chance, and it was indicated for something one of my dogs (or myself) had, I'd be willing to give it a try based on the numerous people I know who have seen its benefits.

I expect you can find acupuncture in Japan but I'd have no idea if anyone does it for dogs over there. I hope you do find someone qualified. Rehab therapy is another option if available.

Either way, you are doing a great job of seeking and providing care for Tio. He is a very fortunate dog to be In your hands! Very best wishes!

Cheers for the good vibes folks. My wife is asking around about several alternative therapies. I'll let you know what she finds. I've been skeptical about most of them because frankly...in the past I've tried quite a few different therapies for my numerous sports injuries and most I thought were just a waste of time. I will admit though that I was pretty quick to dismiss them.

As for Tio being fortunate. Haha.....Well....This journey is teaching me that it's us who are the fortunate ones.

"Gambaru!!"(fight) Tio-Kun....

DSC_0070_zps28ec491a.jpg

Does anyone have a take on Homeopathy...? A friend of ours swears by it for her animals..dogs and horses.

You'll definitely get some naysayers here -- some rather, um, pointed about it.

But many people swear by it. It's harmless if it doesn't work and not very expensive, so I'd say it's worth a try.

Just to prove Roxanne right, as a chemist, I find it hard to wrap my brain around the principles of homeopathy (at least as it's been explained to me), but I do know folks who say they use it with success. I have tried alternative therapies (as noted previously), but do not count homeopathy as one of them. If, as Roxanne suggests, it's inexpensive then I suppose it can't hurt, but there are other natural/holistic approaches I would try first.

J.

Yep, the way it was explained to me is that it doesn't matter if the chemical agents in question have been diluted to an infinitesimally small (essentially zero) amount because the diluent retains "memory" of the chemicals/compounds diluted out. I guess that would equate to "energy" in a sense (the diluent retains the "energy" of the original compounds). I'm just not sure I believe it (from a chemist's viewpoint).

J.

The thing is it can't be understood from a chemistry viewpoint. ;)

I'm all for scientific explanations when and where they're available. But there are still things science hasn't been able to explain yet.

I've read that human consciousness can't be verified by science. Does that mean it doesn't exist? Of course not. It just means that science just hasn't found a way to prove it yet.

"There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Human knowledge is limited. :)

I'm sure there are unexplainable things in the universe, not to mention things *I* just don't understand. Homeopathy is one of the latter, for sure, but unlike other things I don't understand but that seem to have plausible (to me) underpinnings that lead me to be willing to try them, homeopathy doesn't fall into that category for me. I generally don't argue with folks who do use it;it's just not for ME.

J.

• 6 years later...

Bluzinneas

can you share where your vet is located I mean the one who did the surgery?  I have a collie who is my service dog for me (balance disorders) and my dear Clyde has injured his back Doctor says it is a disk which is not showing by an x-ray. This was discovered yesterday. He is on tramadol & prednisone and rest. He will be six years in December.  I am in subsidize housing and have a very limited income which really doesn’t matter I will do what is necessary for him. 
i’m asking because I’m in a small town in New Hampshire and certainly willing to go the distance for him to get him the best care. 

if you want to contact me directly my email is free 4717@iCloud.com.  Thank you for considering to come to Clyde’s aid.

Susan