BC Boards

Introducing Humphrey (and me...)

I bought a DNA test for my heeler mix about five years ago, mainly because he looked like a red cattle dog with a pretty rough coat. Although no purple on his tongue, many guessed the coat came from a Chow. So I had to know. When the results came, it listed Belgian Tervuran in the "secondary" column so I can see the possbility, never guessed Terv! So for me at least, it was worth it.

PS - when I mailed the DNA to the lab (can't remember who it was, bought it at PetCo), they asked for a photo of the dog to paste it on the certificate. I didn't do this thinking that is how results can/may be determined?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rdegrad/media/DSC_0146_zpslzqek4wd.jpg.html]DSC_0146_zpslzqek4wd.jpg[/url]

PS - when I mailed the DNA to the lab (can't remember who it was, bought it at PetCo), they asked for a photo of the dog to paste it on the certificate. I didn't do this thinking that is how results can/may be determined?

Yeah. Anyone can guess based on a picture.

If they're able to determine a dog's breed or mix by DNA, then they don't need no bloody picture. :rolleyes:

just got to results back on our other dog too - a lurcher. I'm no less impressed with his than Humphrey's. He came back 5/8 greyhound, 1/8 whippet. 1/8 Staffie and 1/8 Wheaten Terrier. Whilst we thought he may have some Pharaoh Hound in him due to his almond eyes and pointed ears, it seems not. Also when I look at Bull Lurchers (Sighthound x Staffie) the almond eyes often occur there too. So all in all I wouldn't doubt either of my results.

Oh and re the photos - no we weren't asked to submit one beforehand either. You do have the option to add one once the results are back so that it can be displayed on the certificate though

post-16055-0-26530100-1455289713_thumb.jpg