BC Boards

A quewtion related to intact dogs.

Except that for males, there's a proven alternative in vasectomy. Still no more oops litters.

This is a good point and I think owners should know it is a legitimate option. Out of curiosity, are there any studies about how vasectomy effects a young dog, or is vasectomy also recommended only after the dog is fully grown?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to confess that I'm not understanding the argument against spaying/neutering once the dog is fully grown (aside from the risks involved with any surgery). So, if one has no plans to breed the animal, why keep it intact once it's finished growing?

To this I would ask *why rip out perfectly good healthy body parts*? Once its gone you can't put it back. And do we really * know* everything that hormones do for the body? I mean they're there for a reason. If we rip them out just for our convenience maybe we shouldn't be owning dogs.

It's not exactly hard. I refuse to do surgery on my own dogs, but I've had vasectomies done on my males by colleagues who have never done it before. Make an incision, locate the cords, cut out a section. Easier than a neuter.

Yes, those nasty growths do scare some people. :rolleyes:

My vet was happy to do it for me even though she had no experience, she just asked that we made sure to remind the front desk so she had time to look up the details.... She did think it was silly and that we should just leave him intact, but he is a rescue and I promised. We did not do it as my other dog became very sick and I spent a fortune on him at the time and we just put it off... Yes the rescue knows, I volunteer for them.

I have a question about Zuetrin is it not just chemical castration, therefore the end result is the same as neutering but without surgery.

I have a question about Zuetrin is it not just chemical castration, therefore the end result is the same as neutering but without surgery.

Along with possible long term side effects of a chemical strong enough to castrate the dog inserted into the body.

I personally would be extremely reluctant to adopt a dog altered this way until the long term effects have been observed over at least a couple of generations.

Along with possible long term side effects of a chemical strong enough to castrate the dog inserted into the body.

I personally would be extremely reluctant to adopt a dog altered this way until the long term effects have been observed over at least a couple of generations.

Those are my sentiments as well Kristine. When I first read about it, it seemed the info was glossing over the fact that was really just chemical castration, potentially a cheaper quicker option than surgical castration but still good old fashioned castration as opposed to the implants that wear off over time, but I am still not sure from what I have read that the result is permant castration so I am hoping that Liz P will chime in :).

The concept of the temporary implant seems like a really good idea to me, then you can see if neutering will have any change on your dog but I have never heard of it as an option in the US.

TC, I know there could be a problem with Joey when tommy comes into heat. Wait til he is at least 18 mos for MANY reasons (bring him here or let me know and I'll keep him when Tommy comes into heat.

For those who have bitches in heat at trials, it is just plain stupid to not watch them carefully and to have them out and around. They should be kept in the car or crate til they run (unless out to potty) IMO> As for male dogs running around at trials, well IMO that is just rude! Keep your dog with you and don't allow him to run around where he might 'accidentally impregnate a bitch (Which IMO is both owner';s fault ) , piss on other people's stuff. A dog doesn't have to be intact for it's owner to be rude.

I honestly don't see the castration drug as a viable option for pet dogs. I see it as a great option for feral dogs, 3rd world counties, etc.

Why is that?

I'd want to see better studies, but their shtick is all about preserving partial endocrine function because the drug doesn't hit the Leydig cells (reduces testosterone by only ~50%). If that actually translates into permanent sterility with fewer joint and structural issues, it seems like it'd be preferred over pediatric neuter.

I guess this mindset makes me a little nervous. The ongoing campaign to promote spaying and neutering, in order to reduce the population of unwanted puppies (accidental litters), seems to have largely worked. I think most people, at least in the USA, believe spaying and neutering your pet is a standard part of responsible pet ownership. Obviously we still have tons of dogs in shelters and being PTS everyday, but if everyone adhered to the "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" mindset I wonder if we'd be in a much worse situation.

To be clear, I know the members of this board are not going to be the ones out there causing accidental litters. Also, knowing what I know now, if I were to ever get another male puppy I would keep him intact until he was fully grown.

I think pet owners should be made aware of the possible risks that might be a result of *early* spaying/neutering, but I would be extremely uncomfortable with the idea of the average pet owner being advised or encouraged not to spay/neuter at all.

I would never tell a person I don't know not to spay or neuter. I worked in a shelter for two years and have seen how irresponsible people can be.

But on the flip side having had so many intact dogs I've seen how you will automatically be labeled as irresponsible simply because the dog has testicles. Even if your dogs are well behaved and not breeding. I've been told it's cruel not to neuter and that we're adding to the overpopulation problem... when our dogs have never reproduced. Like I said though, my current dogs are spayed. One because of reproductive health issues (she was bred prior to me getting her) and the other was a contractual thing and I spayed her before 1 year. I won't do that again ever.

I am wary about zeuterin and wouldn't try it with my dogs without it being out for a very very long time. I like the vasectomy idea though and have considered it.