BC Boards

I am interested in her story and situations like hers. From some people on here I get the impression that it is next to impossible to own a BC, and some make BC ownership sound like it is just a matter of caring for and loving your pet. Not unlike my German Shepherd, who def has certain quarks.

I wonder about the same thing. Maybe because it's so up to the individual dog and person. I'm constantly amazed at how the perfect dog for someone else would drive me screwy, or how a dog who's a neurotic mess with one person becomes a biddable companion with the new owner.

Of course my bin-robbing, occasionally-leash-reactive, attention-seeking, bossy, whingey, stubborn, house-guarding terrier is perfect in every way and anyone would love her.

It can be hard to predict from just the traits of a dog how you would live with that particular one.

LMAO!!!! Good one! This could be fun!

But on a serious note, it really, really, really all depends. I have owned/fostered a few dogs. Of many breeds, although all herding breeds (not counting the chi or the Jack x herding blends). Some home bred and raised, some bought knowing who and what I was dealing with as pups. Some sight unseen and even one adult gsd bitch who was as unsure of me when I picked her up as I was of her.

I started my journey into dog owner ship as a 20 year old that knew next to nothing and have since then stuck my nose in many different venues with every known training method.

I have done the whole "let them be pups till they are older and the start the work" to "structured shaping can start from day one".

With anything in between and mileage varying strictly and exclusively on....wait for it....my available set of skills and the character of the dog. So there you go.

My dogs today are by no means better. You have no idea what my first poor dog put up with due to my somewhat benign cluelessnes! And she was a wonderful member of society. But, in the context of actual real and accepted structured training (this is referring to all the trademarked methods and names and....yeah, read all the repeated recommendations on any board or group), my dogs now are more, shall we say, integrated? But then again, I have also found things I don't like as much with my current sidekick who has no problem letting the world know that she is in charge. And that I put her there, with lots of hard work! ;)

So to sum it up....the "club" is not exclusive to Border Collies. I myself crack up when reading posts that almost make one feel you have to be godlike, super smart and somewhat insane to be able to handle one. I am none of the above. And I do just fine. I do however feel strongly that appropriate dedication to any animal is a must to do its soul justice.

A dedicated dog person can handle a Border Collie. Because if a problem arises they'll do what it takes to deal with it. I was a dog training wanna be with just generalized animal experience when I picked up my first. My inexperience made me happily take the dog that needed to be pulled out of her crate by her first owner. The first thing my Missy did was try to get away and flatten herself under the car when I got her home. She then proceeded to sit in the corner for 2 weeks. I learned as I went. Then I got Kipp. No fear issues but no sense of that Border Collie teamwork either. His breeder had recently taken him back out of a bad situation. My first memory of him? they let him out to show me then started swearing under their breath 'cause the crazy dog took off after a cat and wouldn't listen. I thought I knew all about BC training (yeah, I was still a bit naive...) after several years with Missy but after a week with him I was like "what did I get myself into?!?". I learned a lot more as I went. And made mistakes. But it all worked out. I think anyone who wants an active, integrated family member, doesn't mind a few quirks and is 110% committed to their dog can handle life with a Border Collie.