BC Boards

Training the "off switch"

See I was thinking that the "off-switch" was something separate to be trained, not the lifestyle adjustments to behavior that we do everyday. There are days when I think we're getting nowhere with Jack... then I'll meet someone that knew him before we got him and they're like, "wow, he's such a totally different dog, so happy and relaxed." I guess we're going to keep having these moments til he grows into the dog we'd like him to be.

So, again, thank you all for the responses and clarification, I just thought I was "missing something." :D

I agree with Gloria. My Marley girl is five months old and knows from experience that when mom is relaxing she has to chill out if she wants to hang out, otherwise she is removed from family activities and put in time out in her kennel for ten minutes at a time. If you want to work on the stay command, aside from doing the training for stay and rewarding it, reward her throughout the day whenever you catch her exhibiting the behavior you want to see. If you walk past her and she's sitting, reward her for sitting with a treat, a kiss, or a good girl. I find my Marley always wants to please me and, through rewarding her with attention or treats for behavior I want to see, she knows how to make me happy and in turn get praise and attention, which she thrives on. I highly recommend the Paul Owens DVD The Dog Whisperer - beginning and intermediate training. It is chock full of excellent information as well as step by step training instructions. It also comes in a book.

I wanted to add one more thing to the lifestyle shaping subject....and then I have to get my behind to work....

Many people live in a world where animal owning is not a lifestyle but not sure what to call it. They are bombarded with all of this training and you have to do this or that attitude that many people are almost taught to overthink it. Look on these boards....so many come asking about things that, I know I am not the only, one goes...really? For some of us, we are blessed to have been raised around animals. Things are expected, normal, they just kind of happen. One of my students wanted to know when we were going to work on her horses leading? Ahmmm....are you not leading her from the stall to the grooming area (baby) every day? There will be no drilling on leading. It happens and when the baby decides to go here and there and every where....we show it and that is how it learns. So to me, this is obvious. To others, they don't feel they get their money's worth unless we make a big deal about it. Now as a disclaimer...no, I am not talking horsemanship type leading....but getting from point a to point b in a safe and reasonable manner for all!