BC Boards

Border Collie Breeder!!! :)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished reading this thread. Thanks to all that participated, it is very interesting and informative. For some years now I had been researching the breed, reading books, visiting breeders, talking with BC owners, searching the web. And yet, I knew almost nothing about the breed.

I do have a dog from working parents, but that was mostly an instinctive choice (a dog bred for the work it is meant to do must be better than a dog bred for it's looks or some other characteristics, period). But it was only when finding this forum that my instincts where proven right and I understood the specific reasons why a true BC is a working bred BC.

These replies illustrate, once again, that topics like this, whether or not they may have a positive influence on the OP may be beneficial in the influence they may have on others who read them. For that reason alone, they can be very worthwhile.

PS - Every now and then, I have issues with making a reply as the font size is off and I can't fix it. Sorry for tiny print!

PPS - Oops, I guess I was just choosing the wrong size of font to fix the problem. Thanks to Julie's prompting, I went back and managed to figure it out.

Sue,

I have found that if my mouse is pointing over any of the font buttons on the reply menu that the reply will be altered (underlining, super- or subscript). It's annoying, because you don't have to actually click it to choose it--it happens with the mouse just hovering....

J. (this was all underlined till I went back and clicked off the underline, which I never clicked on in the first place!)

The BC issue is a lot like another with Arabian horses that I encountered years back. Some people argue that the good has been bred out of them in breeders' efforts to breed for stupid crap like a high step, a long neck, pricky ears, etc. One of the most remarkable endurance horses that ever existed was reduced to a show pony through the efforts of the "Association" which grabbed control of the registration process. It is very hard to find a "real" Arabian horse these days.

The BC is what it is BECAUSE it is a working breed. It makes sense that people who love and appreciate this breed, who understand the years and years of generational selective breeding for work that MADe this breed are protective of its provenance and its future.

People who want them for pets or sport or dog shows or whatever are not getting/using the very part of the breed that makes it attractive in the first place. Like wanting to marry the bad boy - and make him good.

The book analogy said it best. Anyone who wants one should have one, of course - but I do wish people would stop trying to change this breed by subtraction of qualities necessary for their very purpose.

I've had that problem, too, Julie, and can fix it by highlighting and unclicking the underline or italic or whatever. For some reason, even though I select the font and size I want, it just doesn't seem to do anything to fix it. This only happens occasionally. Maybe I have a computer poltergeist!

Thanks for the tip. That one problem drove me batty until I figured it out.

PS - Got it! I was choosing the wrong sized font, one that works well otherwise on my computer but which gives me a teeny-tiny result here.

Sue,

I have found that if my mouse is pointing over any of the font buttons on the reply menu that the reply will be altered (underlining, super- or subscript). It's annoying, because you don't have to actually click it to choose it--it happens with the mouse just hovering....

J. (this was all underlined till I went back and clicked off the underline, which I never clicked on in the first place!)