BC Boards

Hardwood Floors

I am looking to move into a new place that has all hardwood floors.

My BC slips on the kitchen tile that I have now when she runs or tries to take a corner too tight. How do you thunk she will do with all hardwood floors? Is it something that she just has t get used to?

Thanks!

I have linoleum and Micah has been on it since he was 8 weeks old(almost 2 now). He still slips all the time if he's roughhousing or fetching. I have to yell at family all the time to not kill my dog. You can try keeping feet trimmed(doesn't work for Micah) and using Tacky Paws(works pretty good when freshly applied). What works best is to have area rugs and throw rugs all over the place.

Interesting that you bring that up. I've been thinking about this for quite a while, as the carpet in my living room needs to be replaced and I'm thinking of going to hard wood.

But I've known (or known of) a couple dogs who were injured slipping on bare floors. Seeing how my own dogs slip on the kitchen floor when they're in a hurry to get to the back door to go out, and knowing how they wrestle in the living room, it definitely gives me pause.

I think the answer is to have either large or multiple area rugs. I know a couple people who have hardwood floors and dogs and their floors are really pretty much covered by rugs, making it slip proof. I suspect that's what I'll end up doing.

I have older dogs who sometimes have accidents, so as far as rugs go, I prefer something small enough to be washable. When Jill was still alive, she'd panic on shiny/slick floors, so my house was covered in runners and rugs. Invariably she'd still manage to get herself onto an uncovered area and then have problems. Toward the end of her life, she lived on an area rug in an X-pen to keep her from getting down on an uncovered area and not be able to get back up.

Once Jill passed, I picked up most of the rugs and just left a few beds here and there. I rarely find someone slipping and falling, so for ease of cleaning, I just leave the floors bare, with beds (usually folded blankets or similar) for the dogs to sleep on. The youngsters often wrestle in the house and I still haven't seen any sort of excessive slipping or sliding.

J.

With my aging pack, tile and stained concrete are proving to be not the best. Tough to get traction for them. One in congestive heart failure that can get wobbly, one with bad hd, one that has one bad hip due to an old injury...I love my tile in the TX climate. But I hate it for my dogs.

I just recently moved and I had to put in all new flooring in the living room and bedrooms. I went with laminate wood flooring(couldn't afford real wood). I really don't like carpeting, it holds in way too much dirt no matter how much you vacuum. I have an area rug in the living room and one in each bedroom. If someone would have an accident the rugs aren't that hard to clean. Makes cleaning up doggie dust bunnies easier too.

Samantha

With my aging pack, tile and stained concrete are proving to be not the best. Tough to get traction for them.

My old dog's having trouble on the kitchen linoleum floor. Her feet will start sliding out from under her when she's eating. It's really sad seeing her struggling to stay upright, so now she gets fed in her crate.

I've seen her back end slipping out from under her when she's walking through the kitchen to get to the back door, though she manages to stay upright most of the time.

It's heartbreaking to watch them start failing like this.

Mine don't slip on my laminate, but I do have rugs in pretty much every room and a runner in the hall so there are not vast areas of open hard floor. I have a nice rug in my living room that I send out to be cleaned every year or two and then cheap Lowes rugs in most other areas.

It helps my allergies a great deal and I feel like my house is cleaner. Even in the middle of the big rug, an accident is easier to clean up (roll the rug back to the spot and clean from top and bottom).

I have been steadily carpets and having the hard wood floors refinished. All I have left is the dining/living room and hallway. I'd love to get the carpet out of here, but I am waiting until the old Sheltie, with her partially paralyzed back leg and arthritis, is gone. I really don't want a lot of rugs, though. It kinda defeats the purpose for me. I love the look of hard wood and am beyond tired of cleaning carpets.

We have various rugs made of Flor tiles. They're absolutely awesome. You can pull them up individually and hose/scrub the dirty one off. Really handy with an old dog with an old injury that's left her semi-incontinent. They're heavy enough that my boys don't move the rugs when they get to rough housing- and they can really tear around this house (Like they did this morning. At 4 am. Really?!)

http://www.flor.com/

We have laminate as well with runners in various locations so the dogs can go from spot to spot if they need. I also try to keep nails and pad hair short so they aren't on marbles or slippers while moving around.

I know someone who put Dr Buzbys Toenail Grips on her old gsd who was slipping on his hind end and she has seen a good improvement in balance and traction on her hardwood floors.

My dogs do alright on our laminate floors. Occasionally my old guy's hind end will slip but he's learned to go slow and stick to the rugs for the most part.

One day I had washed the rugs and forgot to put them back...Meg ran full speed into the house, slid across the room and into the opposite wall...no harm done so it was hilarious...like watching live 'cartoon' action.

One day I had washed the rugs and forgot to put them back...Meg ran full speed into the house, slid across the room and into the opposite wall...no harm done so it was hilarious...like watching live 'cartoon' action.

Something similar happened to my young Wren once in the kitchen, except that she crashed into an oven rack I'd taken out of the oven when I was making soap. It made a terrible clatter and the incident set her up for a lifetime of being terrified of uncarpeted floors and then other fears.

Glad no harm was done for Meg . . . and yes, I'll bet it was a hoot. :D

We have some laminate tile in the kitchen and Tulip slips on that when chasing her ball and making a tight corner - it is kind of fun and we both enjoy it. She gets a cute look on her face - ooh, that was different - and is off fetching the ball again.

The rest of the house has hardwood through out. Most of it is old wide-plank pine which is very soft and is well marked (scratched :P ) up by her and our previous dog. It does show, as careful as we are about keeping her nails well groomed.

There are a few rooms with newer oak floors. These are much more forgiving and you would not know that a dog travelled them daily. We have resorted to area rugs in spaces that are well used by her - dining table (under it is a fave to wait for the ball), entry hallway (long and great to run in) - you get the idea. They are certainly helpful in preserving the softer pine floors.

Hope you have the "right" hardwood - harder is better than softer - and that you and your BC are enjoying it - whatever the density.

I have laminate throughout the house, and a variety of area rugs and dogs beds as well. The old dogs are fed on one of the area rugs so they don't slip. At the shelter, a carpet salesman donates these 3'X3' carpet samples/tiles by the truckload so I take some home and put them down where they are useful. When they get too gross, I throw them out and take home new ones (we have more than we can use at work, always). They aren't always the most awesome designs/patterns, but I don't even really notice anymore.

RDM