BC Boards

how much pumpkin?

One other thought is that certain "bugs" (and I think Giardia can do this as can Coccidia) may be opportunistic. In other words, they may be present in non-affecting amounts all the time but when stress (diet, upset, illness, excitement, etc.) occurs, they can multiply and cause problems, and also be detected in fecals.

Is there something that could have put him "off" a bit a few days ago?

I don't really think it is an intussusception, just that severe squirts can cause them, so gut pain should be watched. I've only seen 3 of them and in all 3 the dog would eat right up until they were in dire straits. In fact, one of the very inexperienced(read stupid) vets in our practice almost killed a dog with an intussusception because he kept on and kept on giving it food and water even though it vomitted with just about every bite. That was the day I decided he would never treat one of my dogs.

And you're completely right about giardia and coccidia taking advantage of a situation like this, even if the original insult was saltwater. We see saltwater ingestion problems down here all the time, but once again, they are usually short lived, 24 hrs and done.

Jack is having this very same problem. it started yesterday and has progressed to vomiting. We have his vet appointment for today anyway and I'll be picking up rice and pumpkin later. It's just pumpkin in a can, right? I've never tried this before.

Hope it works, I've been up most of the night with him.

::tired::

Thank you.

Sue, I believe what I'm seeing is what you're saying- he doesn't feel he's done enough-so to speak. we've started the bland diet this morning-chicken, rice and pumpkin. he looks very comfortable at the moment and he's not running for the outside! thank goodness he has constant access to outside or it could have been very messy here!

something could easily have set it off-first a group of shots, followed a few days later by his flea/tick and heartworm meds. almost every day he has a highly exciting playtime with other dogs. new salt water fun, all on top of being in a whole different environment then he's been used to-wintering in the keys as opposed to freezing our butts off in West Virginia!!! we also "changed" foods. just a new bag of taste of the wild, but a different flavor, didn't think much of that but it did occur in the right time frame.

sorry kat3 that you too are going thru this, hope it clears quickly.

When I take my dogs to the beach, they always get a little "loose"...it usually starts at the beach. But they are typically much more solid later that evening; right as rain the next day. Sounds like Hobbs has had quite a bit going on lately. It could just be all of those things combined. Will your vet let you just bring in a fecal sample? At least then you could be sure there are no parasites. I've had a dog with Giardia "firm up" only to have the gates of Hell open up a few days later. I keep Metro on hand now.

Hope he's feeling bettter!

hobbs is back to normal today! at least normal for goober hobbs. he's had at least 2 normal movements. we ended up going with the bland diet- chicken, pumpkin and either mashed potatoes or rice. for a snack, I served up vanilla yogurt. thanks for all your concern and suggestions!