BC Boards

Border Collies and Children (VIDEO)

Hi everyone,

I've got a 16 month old son and him and Berkley, my 6 year old BC, are total best friends. I've had a lot of people ask me how border collies are with children and I caught them playing a game on video so I wanted to share. Berkley is very gentle and playful with Falcon. He's been the best dog for our family.

That was awesome! I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Just a word of caution, though. When telling people how great your border collie is with kids, it's a good thing to be honest and tell than that not all are.

The sad reality is that a lot of border collies end up in rescue precisely because they're not good with small children. We see it over and over in the rescue I volunteer with.

Best not to paint too rosy a picture, methinks.

But Berkely's fantastic! I wish I'd been able to have a dog like that growing up! :D

The sad reality is that a lot of border collies end up in rescue precisely because they're not good with small children. We see it over and over in the rescue I volunteer with.

But Berkely's fantastic! I wish I'd been able to have a dog like that growing up! :D

That's true. I'm almost scared to get another one some day. He's been the best.

Love watching those two. It is also nice to see you being so cautious and aware of dog-kid interactions. Your child is precious. Does he ever hold a grudge if he looses his balance during play? Love the patience your dog has. His will to step back and wait for the two legger to get back into the game.

Love watching those two. It is also nice to see you being so cautious and aware of dog-kid interactions. Your child is precious. Does he ever hold a grudge if he looses his balance during play? Love the patience your dog has. His will to step back and wait for the two legger to get back into the game.

Thanks. No he holds no grudges yet. Berkley doesn't hold grudges either when Falcon tries to ride him like a horse either lol.

Oh, please don't let any child try to ride any dog - the dog may be patient enough but even if he/she is, that child is behaving in a manner that's not appropriate behavior around a dog, and could do damage to the dog's spine. If your child learns appropriate behavior with your own dog, he will know appropriate (and safe) behavior around other dogs.

We certainly don't allow that behavior. Our Aussie, and most other dogs, would not tolerate it and I don't want unnecessary vet or doctor bills :)

Our son just likes to crawl and cuddle into him while he is laying down. He doesn't put on his spurs and hat and jump off of the couch onto him with lasso in hand ;)

Good! Just making sure. Our first child and our eternally-patient and motherly Airedale were good buds. He would crawl all over her and I, in my ignorance, let him. She just laid there and let him do his thing. I doubt that many of my Border Collies would have let him take such liberties, though. One or two have loved babies (and any children, of all ages) but most have steered clear of rug-rats.

We certainly don't allow that behavior. Our Aussie, and most other dogs, would not tolerate it and I don't want unnecessary vet or doctor bills :)

Our son just likes to crawl and cuddle into him while he is laying down. He doesn't put on his spurs and hat and jump off of the couch onto him with lasso in hand ;)