BC Boards

copraphagia

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs took to poop eating a few ye as r back when we had heavy snow and the poops sat on top frozen daunting them. They quit as it warmed up. Go figure.

My youngest dog was potty trained then relapsed for a while on pooping in the house. She knew I wasnt pleased, she started eating poop if someone had an accident in the house but never outside. I had a senior who regularly had accidents in the house. If I wasnt fast as lightening the youngster would snarf them up.

Now that my seniors are gone there is no poop in the house so no worries.

This last snow was timed with lambing. There were way better goodies lurking and round than poop so they left it alone. I assume had they not been on afterbirth alert they would of found frozen poopcycles again.

Ive never found any of the additives they sell worked for us.

Main rule...no doggie kisses after poop surfing or for now after lamb checks!

The best solution is to clean up the poop as soon as they poop. Practiced behavior becomes stronger behavior; if poop is cleaned up there would be no poop eating.

You know that ... and I know that.... but what about all the other "animals" out there who don't pick up their dogs poop.....grr.

I think frozen poop must taste better than regular poop. Lots of dogs that normally don't bother poop like poopsicles.

Lots of dogs like to eat poop. It's more of a people getting totally disgusted thing than anything else. Some people just get totally grossed out. My first dog liked to eat cat poop. I was grossed out. I got over it as the year's went by. I still don't like it but now I don't pay much attention unless I get a dog that really eats a lot of poop. I don't think that is too good for them. That's when I get out the crushed pineapple and everybody gets a spoonful with each meal. Helps a lot. I don't know why.

My old boy, Sammie eats frozen dog poo. He must just like it because he never touches it when it isn't frozen. Something about it being frozen must be attractive to him . . . who the heck knows?

I've never really tried to make him stop being interested in it. I just keep more of an eye on him when it is frozen out and make sure to call him in as soon as he has finished doing his business and starts to sniff around if I can't get out to clean up right away. Sometimes he gets one, I consider it more of an annoyance than a problem.

He's 14, though, and he is definitely at the "what are you doing to do?, he's old" stage of his life, as far as I'm concerned. He has been doing this for probably just the last 3 years. If he was young, I might have a different response.

Kristine, that made me laugh! Having several at the "what you gonna do" stage....I think they exploit it too!

I hate that habit. Only one of mine has ever shown to be adamant about it. But she was also a pup that tried to die on us 3 times before she hit 4 months of age. So I often wondered if there was something about that. Now that she is older...she is much less interested in it. And if she gets something while I am not watching like a hawk...it sure seems to become her. She is slick, shiny and happy as a clam. Also, interestingly enough...being out in the country...she seems to be almost my most parasite and upset tummy because we ate a dead frog proof, dog.

I'm sorry you feel that way Taryn. I was simply pointing out that your solution isn't necessarily a practical one for everyone. I thought your answer rather flip but didn't hold that against you personally. If you're looking for unkindness then you're likely to find it no matter what. Seek and ye shall find and all that. Funny that there was a recent thread where a number if folks commented on how nice this forum is compared to many others. I guess it's all a matter of perception....

FWIW as the op, I found this a bit belittling but didn't respond, so yes perception is everything....

I really hope that no one meant to be "belittling". It is good advice and you'd be amazed how many people would not have figured that out as a solution in certain circumstances. I, for one, would not have figured it out some years ago but have certainly learned a lot of commonsense management in the interim (I can be pretty dense sometimes). It certainly isn't applicable as a solution to everyone and their situation, as Julie very rightly pointed out.

You know you are a confirmed picker-upper when you find a clean poop bag ready for use, residing in just about every jacket or vest you own...

I used to scoop my horse pastures religiously. Not enough to do in my life I guess. I imagine the sight of me criss crossing the pasture looking for the tiny ones my miniature left would have left my neighbors scratching their heads if they had seen me.

FWIW, I am not against scooping, but when I get up in the morning I need to take care of a lot of things before going to work. If I have to add time to run around behind dogs scooping up poop, especially in the months when it's dark out, I'm realistic enough to know that it just ain't gonna happen. Feeding/watering the livestock, inside animals, and getting ready for work would take priority.

I'm a bit surprised that one wouldn't think to pick up poop if you don't want another critter eating it, rolling in it, whatever. I keep the cat pans in gated rooms because I don't want the dogs snacking. I also scoop those multiple times a day because I want to make sure the cats continue to use the pans....

Gideon's Girl,

I have a friend who routinely scoops manure out of pastures. She has a number of horses on relatively small acreage, and it's really the only way to keep the pasture pleasant. They compost the manure and sell it as a fundraiser for 4H, I believe.

When I first got sheep and they shared the yard with my dogs (sheep in the yard when I was at work and dogs were in the house, out in the unfenced area when I was home and the dogs needed the yard), I used to scoop sheep poop (at least the larger bits) along with dog poop when I was doing the yard. It just made sense to get as much poop of any variety up if I could! :)

J.

I have my 10 acres divided into one acre pastures, so I used to only have to scoop an acre a day. I do compost what I scoop, I just don't try to keep the whole ten acres spotless anymore, I clean up the areas where they always go, but leave the ones where they rarely go, too difficult to find everything. Like you, I hurry through the necessary chores in the morning before I have to get going, so I don't scoop poop in the morning. Fortunately, I have a very healthy population of dung beetles, so I don't scoop much dog poop in the afternoon either, it's almost all gone by then.

I'd like to be clear - I only scoop on mowed grass, like my lawn and any neighbor's lawns and other areas that are mowed. If it's in a pasture, mine or anyone else's, or unmowed roadsides, etc., I don't scoop.

DH does not scoop. He'll tell me where someone dumped a load in the yard so I can find it easily, and he'll hold the dogs when I've got something to pick up on a walk.

Like I've said before, I'm the Queen of Poop...at least in my neighborhood. :P

And I know someone who scoops her horse pastures of all the horse poop. She has the world's best composting manure pile!