BC Boards

is 2 better then 1 ???

Our family currently has a 2 1/2yo Female border collie, who (obvisouly ) has a strong herding instinct. She will literally chase anything that moves, including our kids ( boys 6 & 8 ). I am seriously considering another border collie, but am fearfull of how our current will treat a new puppy. Also, should i consider a male or female?? any suggestion are greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the boards!

Chasing isn't necessarily indicative of herding instinct. Many dogs of non-herding breeds will chase. Chasing can be both simple play or prey drive, as well as possible herding instinct.

Border collies generally tend to do well with other border collies, and they're kind of addictive, which is why we say they're like potato chips. (You can't have just one. ;) ) So if you feel you'd enjoy having another one, by all means consider it.

They'll usually get along with other breeds and types of dogs, too. Herding breeds don't always appreciate the play and greeting styles of some other types of dogs, such as boisterous and overly goofy dogs, though, but that's often when meeting other dogs out and about. Most do fine with other breeds and types that are members of their own households.

But remember, too -- especially if you get another BC -- that you'll now have two dogs to entertain and keep mentally stimulated. Just playing with the kids often isn't enough, and if one dog is getting into mischief because it's bored or doesn't have sufficient rules or boundaries, then 2 are likely to get into even more trouble.

Some BC females can be quit bossy, especially with other females, and at time the relationships can be downright hostile. I wouldn't say it's a generality (I've never had inter-bitch aggression with my females, but I did have a female foster who couldn't live with another female), but it's something to be aware of. So if your dogs skills aren't really, really good, or if you just don't want to risk that kind of thing, you might consider getting a male for your second dog.

I'm sure others will have more to offer.

My short answer is this: if you really want a second dog for the sake of having another dog, then there's no real reason not to get one. However, if you think a second dog will serve to stop the inappropriate behaviors that exist with the first dog, that's not so likely to happen, and, in fact, a second border collie could just mean double the bad behavior.

Two dogs can become good pals, or not. It reallty depends on personalities. I have two youngsters who play together, but play sessions last for 15 minutes or so and then it's off to something else.

You didn't actually state your reason for wanting another dog, and many of us here have multiples, so it's certainly not unusual to do so. I just wanted to caution against the assumption some people make that a second dog will entertain the first.

At any rate, I have witnessed inter-bitch aggression, and although I really like females, your safest bet (though no guarantee if course) would be to get the opposite gender.

Welcome to the boards!

J.

My short answer is this: if you really want a second dog for the sake of having another dog, then there's no real reason not to get one. However, if you think a second dog will serve to stop the inappropriate behaviors that exist with the first dog, that's not so likely to happen, and, in fact, a second border collie could just mean double the bad behavior.

This.

Train the one you have out of the unwanted behaviour before you get another. It often seems like dogs copy bad behaviour much more easily than good.

Thanks for the advice everyone! ! I truly do believe the Breed is an addiction , that being half the reason i want another BC, i just love them!!! I love there personality, there eager to please and to learn, i love how smart they are and what great of a family member she makes, how she looks out to and loves my kids, the list goes on and on!!! I've considered other breeds for a second dog, but have yet to find one that i truly love as much as a border collie. Ive seriously considered the Austrailian shepahrd, comparing the similarities in the breed to the BC, but hoping it may be less "hyper", but then i look at my Jersey, and know i even love her hyperness so why should i consider less hyper for the next? All that being said, Jersey is the other half of the reason for considering another dog. Id like to think another dog could grow into a compain for her. Someone to play with when the kids are at school, or company when she is home alone. I dont expect another dog to break her of her bad habits, and i am fully aware of the trouble 2 dogs can create .

Why not look at getting an older rescue, someone around 5-7 border collies stay fun and bouncy for many years and would provide your youngster with company. With an older rescue you would be able to get a good idea of their personality.

I have never had an Aussie but know many through agility and they are not less hyper than border collies.

Here is my perspective.

I have 3 dogs, 2 BCs (one is deaf) and an Aussi mix. All rescues.

I love them all and would never give any of them up but my life would be a lot easier with one dog.

They really don't play with each other much or keep themselves entertained. I believe each of them wishes they could be the only dog in the family. They are very jealous of each other and compete for everything, particularly the attention of the humans in the house. If you are petting or playing with one, the other 2 want in immediately. If you separate one to train or play the other dogs go nuts whining, scratching and crying.

The weak dog gets picked on but occasionally fights back. We try to control their interactions but this is impossible in a busy household with 3 dogs and 5 humans. Breaking up a dog fight is stressful and not fun. I have the bites to prove it. One of our dogs had to go to the ER for staples on a large gash from a fight, on Christmas Day! Most of them time they get along but when there is a fight it is bad.

Multiple dogs are a lot more work. More poop to pick up, more pukes in the house, more hair, more vet visits...etc...etc. Your whole world becomes very dogcentric. Some people desire this which is great but the more dogs you have the more they dictate your life.

I love my dogs but there are days when they drive me crazy. I'm not trying to scare you away, just providing my personal experience and opinion.

Jersey is the other half of the reason for considering another dog. Id like to think another dog could grow into a compain for her. Someone to play with when the kids are at school, or company when she is home alone.

Except that doesn't always work. It can, but there's no guarantee that it will.

If it doesn't, then you'll have 2 dogs demanding your time and attention. . . . and that is a guarantee! :o

If you want another dog for yourself and you're prepared for that, then great. By all means consider getting another.

But if it's not 100% for you, then step back and consider what the consequences could be. You should think long and hard about whether you're both willing and able to commit fully to the worst case scenario that these dogs won't get along as you'd hoped they would. Best case scenario still involves twice as much interaction (BCs crave human attention and while it's nice to have a doggy friend, it won't take the place of their demands for human interaction), expenses, involvement with your dogs, doggy dynamics that you have to monitor (and, yes, even when they get along there's more management involved, just like having 2 or more kids), etc.

Aussies are not necessarily more laid back than border collies.

And puppies aren't the only way to acquire another border collie. There are plenty of amazing rescue dogs out there whose personality and temperament you'll be better able to assess, and without all the extra work that a puppy entails.

Agree with the comments above. I got a second dog, so I could have a second dog to do agility. My first dog has lived with other dogs for years (seven dogs total who belonged to roommates); four of those were BCs, and she loved all of them. I also fostered a male BC for awhile, and she adored him. Then I got a female BC, 4.5 years her junior, and she hates her. She has become exceedingly anxious. She was, prior to acquisition of the second dog, quite well-behaved. She would come to lectures with me, demo for the students, finished her championship in agility, etc. Since I acquired the youngster, she no longer settles and has started to become reactive to other dogs. If I were getting a pet dog (and already had an intense female), I would only do so if it was an adult, with a very laid-back personality, ideally a male (but personality matters more), and could be returned to the rescue/etc if a trial period did not work out.

Thanks for the advice everyone! ! I truly do believe the Breed is an addiction , that being half the reason i want another BC, i just love them!!! I love there personality, there eager to please and to learn, i love how smart they are and what great of a family member she makes, how she looks out to and loves my kids, the list goes on and on!!! I've considered other breeds for a second dog, but have yet to find one that i truly love as much as a border collie. Ive seriously considered the Austrailian shepahrd, comparing the similarities in the breed to the BC, but hoping it may be less "hyper", but then i look at my Jersey, and know i even love her hyperness so why should i consider less hyper for the next? All that being said, Jersey is the other half of the reason for considering another dog. Id like to think another dog could grow into a compain for her. Someone to play with when the kids are at school, or company when she is home alone. I dont expect another dog to break her of her bad habits, and i am fully aware of the trouble 2 dogs can create .

Oh, this breed is definitely an addiction! :D I'm astounded that for the first time in at least 15 years, hubby and I are down to "only" two border collies and an Aussie.

I will echo what others have said, though. Getting a second dog to keep your dog company doesn't mean they will actually be company. When left alone, dogs don't actually DO much ... unless they decide to dig up the entire back yard or dismantle the sofa. :P

Just remember, it can be very easy for a 2nd pup to pick up on the same hyper behaviors that Jersey already has - and two means not only double the excitability, but double the potential for destructive or undesirable behaviors.

In other words, make sure you have solid training on Jersey, (recall, go lie down, crate quietly, wait for her food, no begging, no jumping on people, etc) before you bring a puppy into the house. To avoid trouble, I would recommend you block out periods of time where you work with her and the pup separately every day.

The thing to remember also is this: if they DO buddy up, they may bond to each other so tightly that you'll be the odd man out, and they can egg each other on to do naughty and destructive things. Or you may find obedience training and other things more difficult, because they are so bonded they don't really "need" you. Again, I'd recommend making time each day to work with her and the pup separately.

So, I'd say go for it! But only if you and your family are really prepared to handle double-everything. :)

~ Gloria