BC Boards

I thought I'd seen it all ...

A little Google searching reveals that the person posting the video lives in California, most likely in the Fresno area. The California animal cruelty law explicitly prohibits "torturing" and "inflicting unnecessary pain". I'm not a lawyer, but this is most likely illegal and punishable. Not the smartest thing to post it online...

I had trouble watching it as well. I am pleased to see that sheepdog folk who know better have let him know how wrong he is (in the comments). I hope it will make him think.

I know flagging it won't do anything about this idiot, but it might stop someone else from seeing it & repeating it with their own puppies. Removing the video also gives less ammo to the PETA-types who believe working any stock with a dog is abuse.

I did not mean to imply that this is "hobby herding." I just meant that extreme videos like this might make someone realize that sheep aren't dog toys or tools, but that they CAN be worried, abused, and quite terrified while being worked by dogs, even when worked properly. To someone who knows nothing or very little about working stock, watching a well-trained, well-handled dog move knee-knocker puppy sheep around doesn't look like it's stressing the sheep at all (and, honestly, it probably isn't). What they might not realize is that that is a very well-controlled situation, and that even though a great dog on tough sheep can put as little stress as possible on the sheep, the sheep are still generally unwilling participants. I've encountered a fair number of people who want to try "herding" as something to do with their dog who never gave the sheep any more thought than they did piece of agility equipment. Not everyone, for sure, but once you involve another living thing in your "activities," it really does require a shift in thought processes.

I know flagging it won't do anything about this idiot, but it might stop someone else from seeing it & repeating it with their own puppies. Removing the video also gives less ammo to the PETA-types who believe working any stock with a dog is abuse.

When I watched it, above was one of my first thoughts, after a barrage of negative posts on Facebook about UGGS being cruel in the way they get the sheepskin, and that sheepskin is actual skin, can you imagine!! none factual according to the truth/fiction fact checker sites. I mean come on people it's called sheepskin where do you think it comes from. For that matter where do they think leather comes from. PETA type people can turn any video in to propaganda and this fool has just provided someone with some lovely ammunition.

I contacted the Humane Society to see if there was anything they could do. Here's part of the reply I got:

If you have firsthand information about the alleged abuser, please let me know the specifics and I will see what I can do.

Unfortunately, though, in general it is exceedingly difficult to obtain animal cruelty prosecutions in cases where alleged animal abuse is posted online, because of the difficulty in identifying the date and location of the abuse, as well as the identity of the abuser.

Most often, the best we can hope for is for the website’s ISP (Internet Service Provider) to remove the offensive images or video content, to hopefully prevent the proliferation of copycat videos. Some ISPs, like Google, have Terms of Service agreements (TOS) that prohibit offensive material.

To report internet animal cruelty, you have several options:

1. Contact the ISP and let it know that you think one of its websites may be in violation of its TOS agreement and should be removed. To identify a website’s ISP, go to http://www.networksolutions.com, and go to www.search.org/programs/hightech/isp if you need to find the ISP’s contact information.

2. Facebook’s policy on offensive content:

Facebook maintains a robust reporting infrastructure that leverages our hundreds of millions of users to look for offensive or potentially dangerous content. This reporting infrastructure includes links on pages across the Facebook site, systems to prioritize the most serious reports, and a team of professional reviewers who respond to reports and escalate them to law enforcement as needed. We encourage our users to report any offensive or inappropriate content by clicking on the "Report" links located on pages throughout the site.

1. Report offensive images on YouTube by clicking the “flag video” link. Read about YouTube’s abuse policies here: http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/request.py

2. If the offensive website involves selling, trading or offering a good/service, contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center. Select "Money" when asked what the incident you are reporting involves. I IC3 will evaluate your report and refer it to the appropriate federal, state, local or international law enforcement or regulatory agencies

3. Submit a complaint to the FBI and/or the Department of Justice, noting the exact website address, its ISP and the ISP’s contact information.

4. Write to the ISPs that you visit regularly and encourage them to regulate their websites for animal cruelty. For example, many of our members have written (and continue to write) to video-sharing website Youtube, urging them to monitor for animal cruelty videos and reiterating that the only purpose of such videos is shock value and the majority of viewers find them outrageously offensive.

We do the best we can to flag these images and have them removed from the public domain, and we thank you for your willingness to help us. Please be sure to let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

So, NJSwede, if you'd PM me with tat, I'll pass it on to the person who replied to me.

Otherwise, we can all make an effort to report as instructed in 3, 4 & 5 (although I don't know how to get the IP address, I'll try sending the link to YouTube and hope it's enough.