BC Boards

Flatcreek border collie breeder shut down...

GHF is soliciting donations, along with the SPCA. From their FB page, "Regarding donations for the "Sprakers" dogs: Glen Highland Farm and the Mo.Co. SPCA will coordinate all donations to cover critical care needs for this initial period. This is a JOINT effort between both organizations to serve the dogs."

GHF has a a pretty good base for donations, and someone posted on their FB page that they'd donated $1,500 -- that's one donor. And it was acknowledged by GHF as received, so it wasn't someone just blowing hot air.

Obviously the costs to have these dogs vetted alone will be astronomical, but in my experience in the past with seizures, the rescues manage to come up with the funds to take care of these dogs. I think that's pretty amazing!

ETA: Again according to GHF's FB page, they have taken in 35 of the dogs, 25 of which were relinquished to rescue.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GHF is luckily well organized and has the facilities and dedicated staff and volunteers but 25new dogs in rescue + 10temporary (for now) at once is a significant undertaking!

Especially if some of these dogs are under socialized and may require months before being adoptable!

They had about 30-35dogs when I was a winter volunteer last year. Can't imagine doubling the workload especially if the dogs require special care or socialization.

Yes, GHF is taking donations but I read the local SPCA is responsible for the entire bill. I would think if GHF was responsible for all the costs of 35 dogs taken in at the same time, it wouldn't be possible and obviously 10 are not even theirs to keep at this point so they clearly are not going to be paying for the costs of those dogs. So I am sure GHF is helping out the SPCA financially but apparently they are not paying for everything for even those 25 and if they were, I would think they would have a more aggressive fundraising going on too.

Either way, so glad they are being cared for at GHF. I am sure the SPCA does not have the space or resources to properly care for border collies with behavioral problems.

ETA: This is from the SPCA page-

(2) We are fully responsible for the medical and boarding costs of all 41 dogs, even those in the care of Glen Highland Farms. Glen Highland Farms will bill us for the costs incurred for the "Sprakers" dogs in their care. We will pay them directly from these donations. (3) We have not received any donations from Eric Bellows and have no association with him.

Well, not being privy to the legal side of it, I'm going to guess that may have something to do with the fact that this was all precipitated as a law enforcement matter and that there may have been some agreements made by the legal teams, prosecutors, etc.

But that's just a guess.

Whoever's responsible for the bills, I'm very grateful that the dogs are being well taken care of now. :)

Anyone see THIS?

Flat Creek Border Collies is in need of donations for the lawyer retainer. The funds for this are needed right away so we can assist in winning not only this case however; winning the future for all breeders’ right to own and breed a dog. This case has become a staple with the extreme animal rights activists and was started only to pass the new “puppy mill bill” in NY. We in the animal fancy must stop the ARist from winning these dogs and placing Flat Creek out of business. This is not about just one dog breeder that has done nothing wrong. This is about saving our own rights when attacked by extremists to try and pass these ridiculous laws that are stealing our property and our freedoms.

Please donate today before it is too late for all of us:

Attorney Ron Schur office number is (518) 661-5001.
When making the donations say it is for the Border Collie case.
Mailing address:
Schur & Rose PLLC
2431 State Highway 30
P.O. Box 358
Mayfield, NY 12117
Please make sure you put in the memo section of the check Border Collies. That way they will know what it is for.

Well, Well. I am surprised, but then not surprised to see someone (the lawyer, the breeder, a computer-savvy friend?) trying to raise donations since I assume they have seen the GHF FB page where people are promising donations.

I couldn't believe the statements "We in the animal fancy ..." Animal fancy? What the ...?

and

"... one dog breeder that has done nothing wrong." Huh?

The are certainly some extreme animal rights activists but there are many more non-extremist that are concerned about a minimal level of care. The new NY law hardly looks 'extreme'.

There are 'rights' and there are also 'responsabilities'. In a better world, no legislation would be necessary to ensure people are responsible for their spouse, kids, pets, etc. Unfortunately us humans are a pretty pathetic lot sometimes that need laws to spell out consequences for not owning up to responsabilities.

In this case the animals were legally seized and court proceedings are taking place. Breeder may win some of his dogs back, either ways some people will not be happy with the decision. But calling the seizure the works of terrorists presumably means the state of NY is a terrorist state? We'll have to start detaining all you Yankees at the border... (to be honest I've always suspected americans with your weird football rules, baseball, basketball and non-hockey sports or pretending Thanksgiving is in November)

Anyone see THIS?

Interesting to note the date that this 'all breeder unite' page was created:

Joined Facebook 01/04/2014

Looks to have been specifically created to support the sprakers breeder... I somewhat doubt it will have the same impact and support the 'against' movement has had...

on the subject of the attorney's "donation" thing:

He's doing it to get paid in full and to add media attention to his business. It's all a part of the defense attorney game. You have to look good. So, I'd read it with a grain of salt considering it's probably a part of his business model to appeal to his client and to garner some attention for himself.

Since (I have read and have no proof) that there have not been ABCA registrations for about four or five years, and there are so many bright colors and many odd-looking animals, I wonder if they have just been breeding willy-nilly - not even with any sort of half-baked planning. Inbreeding and who kinows what.

Poor things. I'm glad they are in good hands now, and worry about those still in his hands.

Notice the shape of their heads. There is something wrong there, in addition to a whole lot of inbreeding.

I thought the same thing! Many have the same odd head shape. They don't look 'right' in anyway. It would be such a shame if they keep breeding as they were allowed to keep many puppies and several adults. With the neighbor building 20 odd houses they could easily just keep breeding all those puppies to each other (which is what it appears they have been doing).

I wish the average puppy buyer would/could be more discerning so places like this would not have any demand and would have to stop breeding. Way better to shut places like this down because no one wants their poorly bred dogs vs. having to pass laws to protect dogs from these situations.

ETA- Their site also said they run a 'closed kennel' so they were not bringing in any new dogs for who knows how long. The neighbor even said when pups wouldn't sell they would keep them. When someone returned a pup, they would keep them. They claimed no one wanted older dogs, so they keep those too. So it is almost unbelievable to think they were not breeding close relatives.

Many of them have extremely narrow points on their muzzles, but about 1 1/2 inches back, they suddenly get wider and wedge shaped at the bottom of the jaw. Their heads are narrow through the temple, but again wedge shaped and sort of domed. Many of them seem like their eyes don't quite line up. Look at Hallie, Pip, Skye, Wisp, Yound SA, Linn, Lucy, Dina, Lizzie, Kayla, and Gwen. Some of the others look like they may have the same traits, but the angle of the photo is not good.

I do agree that some of them have odd looking eyes, but I think in some of these pictures it may be a illusion created by some very uneven facial markings and sectoral heterochromia (mottled coloring) in their irises.

Hard to tell using only these pics as reference. Would need to see a few more to be convinced of it.

Colin, Lizzie and River look like they may have one crossed eye each in these pictures, though. Again, I'd need to see more pics to be sure.

Thanks for the responses. I was guessing that most of their muzzles were too wide. It also seems like Brooke has way too much white from what I understand. Probably deaf?

I have been following this story since it started on FB. I am so glad these dogs were rescued and pray the others will be and that this guy is shut down permanently!!!