BC Boards

Age to start Herding/Agility/Flyball

Sam, Will you take my clinic entries for me? Johnny had decided it is cheaper to come to the clinic here versus flying me to the U.K. Put him at the top of the list.

I have guaranteed him that he will have more International wins once he can properly pen. He will even be more competive at the World.

A., Since you thought the Little Muskrat was initially thoughtful does than mean that Mick may become thoughtful versus being the bull in the china shop?

Mark, Do you yell at anyone other than Sam for getting off topic. I'm off balance too and you never yelled at me. Are you trying to get in my good graces just so you can get into my penning clinic? Got to forwarn you, I don't play favorites. Just ask Johnny.

Mickey is already taking his whistles........ Found remnants of my leather braided lanyard on the floor. He didn't swallow the wire or whistle though. Hope this doesn't become a $1500 lanyard like Sam's Maddie's unmentional chew. (Jim is now under strict instructions when I leave that he is not to take him out of the crate ) I think that the swallow tail and learning his whistles is enough pressure for one day. Housebreaking will have to wait until yet another day.

Guess I will go out and break the ice out of all the watering pails. Instead of doing it at each watering, I just kept filling more pails (and not dumping them)

Need to start counting down the days until I am out of Michigan's winter.

When is the next full moon? I may be acting stranger than normal.

Isn't that wonderful, A. is obsessed and I may be posessed. Robin and Sam will be soooooo glad to see us.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man you are a riot today! I am going out in the snow to feed my chickens and dogs...god I hate being sick...Ugh. The sheep will just have to wait till morning...I think I will pass out if I have to lug that hay out...darn things are fat as pigs anyway...yawn...More alkaseltzer cold relief coming my way!!!! Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Now who is acting crazy?

OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF TOPICCCCCCCCCCC AGAIN....OH MY OH MY!

Terry, I'd never yell at you. :rolleyes:

Now Sam is another story, she needs everyone to help keep her in line (yell at her); I'm sure her boss would agree. Andrea is just a lost cause; no point in yelling at her to straighten up.

Mark

P.S. and this is on topic; it's about Obedience, or Sam's lack of.... :eek:

Yeah well when asked why he was so hard on me my dear boss did say that he likes to keep his foot on my throat cause just as soon as you let up I spring back and start mouthing off again. Oh well guess you guys can just keep trying to keep me in line! Sorry the trial was cancelled Mark, maybe you guys can come over next weekend...Then you and Renee can yell at me in person!

flyball you start right away, you just cany compete until they are 1 year old, I have a 4 month old pup in flyball training right now, he started as soon as we got him at 9 weeks. misty started as soon as we got her as well(8 weeks) you just do recalls and train tug, and getting the ball, mainly you do lots and lots of recalls, when they get a little older you start target training, older yet, you start the box, and when you start jumps you just set up 1 ot 2 inch boards, to teach them how to stride, the full jumps dont come in till they are just about full grown.

You guys have made me feel a lot better. I was worried that I'd completely screwed up by not taking Finn to stock (well, to WORK on stock - he HAS seen both sheep and cattle) before now. What with the weather and the gigantic amount of snow we've had this year, he'll be closing in on two before he gets any training (the only local herding coach for BCs has told me we need to wait until some of the snow melts off before we can even try). Maybe it's not too late after all to determine if he has any ability... (although it may in fact be too late to determine if *I* have any ability...)

I think you will be just fine with Finn...Hey I know it has been covered in its own seperate post, but I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading your posts and how nice I think it is that you take the time to do it. I know at the local trials I really hate approaching the vets that go even with on the road emergencies...its not that they make me feel bad about it, just that I am sure they get tired of being on the clock all the time. Anyway, thanks for the great posts and look out, I am stockpiling my weirdo vet questions...and am prepared to strike at any moment!

You are hilarious! I can just see you lurking behind some haystack, waiting to POUNCE at a moment's notice...!

(Actually, I am pathetically obsessed with medicine, and - as I believe I may possibly have demonstrated here - will go on absolutely without end until you MAKE ME SHUT UP. The only time it bothers me is if I'm clearly in the middle of something else, like, for instance, my lunch... the hazards of living in a small town and going out to eat... :D )

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the herding, BTW. It was rather sad when I took my (rescue) American bulldog to an obedience class with several of my clients in it... I could just see them going, "Oh, look, the vet's dog is the worst!" (Not without considerable justification, I might add... :rolleyes::D

I started obedience 30+ years ago with a very quick, independent norwegian elkhound and she made me work at it harder and, being hardheaded, stick with it.

She even bit me on the wrist once (only time I have ever been bitten. I lean fast!) when she fianlly had learned the down and, on teaching the stand, placing our hands under their bellies to keep them from sitting from heeling, she was trying so hard to down or sit and my hand was in her way! :eek:

That silly dog made a great herding dog also, with a border collie gathering style. She was quick and strong and would hold up weaning heifers, not easy on any dog because they take leave of any sense until weaned well.

My next dog was an australian shepherd and she was born knowing what to do. What a difference!

In general, the american bulldogs I have seen tend to have a whole different set of problems to overcome to being an obedient dog.

Harder to motivate to work for you and an intense interest in the world around them being one, need to dominate another.

Well, they were bred to be independently responsible for the order of the world around them, make others toe the line: The perfect sargent barking orders. Other dogs either submit on sight or take offense.

Nice to get started in puppy classes (adorable puppies), harder to handle as two year olds, after they have run the household as they wished, in the beginner classes. They don't take so kindly to having to follow directions then.

Then, so are some other older dogs, regardless of the breed.

Really, no one dog is easy. Even if some learn easily, they still have issues to work thru, like anticipation, etc.

NO you see the only reason I get online isnt to talk to you guys, it is to order my bon bons online and have them ups'ed here to my blue chair...guy is a friend on mine...he delivers them chair side and might even stay to watch judge judy..if I could just subcontract out training these dogs, I might never have to move period. I mean Ann (my sweet monday morning lesson that saw me in my pj's today) brings me dinner cause I am sick..Randy comes over and feeds all my sheep...Hell I might never have to do anything again!!! See I do have good friends! Ha! And yet here I come again and again..I am a sucker for abuse! And anyway, since we have been joking about this for years, just what the hell is a bon bon anyway????

bonbon

NOUN: A candy that often has a center of fondant, fruit, or nuts and is coated with chocolate or fondant.

ETYMOLOGY: French, reduplication of bon, good, from Latin bonus. See deu-2 in Appendix I.

Here's a source of various flavors of bonbons just for you Sam.

hatziyiannakis

Mark