BC Boards

Exercise in Winter months

Very relevant topic for us, thanks for posting. I'm stuck in the city, with one dog who has orthopedic problems (and therefore can't be run on anything remotely icy, or in deep snow), and another who I'd rather not see injured either. Fortunately, I can do Canicross with the younger one on the sidewalks when they are cleared, but the older one's knees can't hold up to jogging on concrete. She's been restricted to leash walks and some agility play for over a week, and is going bonkers. Her limit is about 2 days without some off-lead time, and we've well surpassed that. I took her to a trial this weekend; this is a Masters level dog who has been competing for almost 3 years and usually Qs in almost everything...she just ran around the ring, barking, stressing, and ignoring me. That's how wired she is right now.

We do stuff inside: hiding toys and treats, exercises from her rehab, trick training, food stuffed toys (she doesn't eat any kibble out of a bowl). We go for walks, and she plays with the younger dog. She comes to work with me everyday. Unfortunately, none of those things are enough, and it looks like it's going to be a long winter. Wish I could get a treadmill for her, but not sure if that would be great for her knees either. Hmm.

• 2 weeks later...

Our 2 y.o. BC, Scarlet is filled to the brim with energy! I'll play chuckit with her until she stops halfway back and rests. She can go for a 6 mile walk, and when we get home, jump at the back door to go out and play with her JollyBall! That said, I was sick for about 3 or 4 days, and she just laid with me! I could'nt believe it! So even though the brain says GO GO GO.... They can also relax with you, too! Good post about what to do in the winter!