BC Boards

Bordercollie/huntaway mix

Smalahundur

Hello, just met a friend of mine I hadn´t seen for a while, and he proudly showed me his new dog; A beautiful smooth coated black bitch, with some tiny white markings. Pretty big dog.

I first took it for a border collie, but he told me she was a 50/50 border collie huntaway mix.

Though it was from an unplanned litter, the dad is the probably most wanted stud border collie presently in Iceland, a champion dog. The mother a good working huntaway.

The price he paid was what one would pay for an average working border collie pup.

He hopes for a dog with a driving barking working style (a lot of farmers here prefer this, I think for all the wrong reasons ;) ), loose eyed but also "some border collie style" (whatever he means by that, probably gathering capability)).

What do you think, smart or stupid? My feelings are that he just rolled the dice, and anything is possible, not something I would like to do. I have some bad experience trying to start a dog that did not have the right talent for stockwork, it costs time, money and some heartbreak (but I was lucky and found a good pet home for her). Funny coincidence is they share the same name.

Anyway, he is a sheep farmer, and she has been introduced to sheep, apparently keen (by the way, she is seven months now).

It will be interesting to see how she will develop.

I would think the dog could have lots of potential. In Britain, purpose bred crosses are pretty common . . . mixes of working stock dogs selected for a combination of the working qualities they hope to achieve for their particular needs. I have a Welsh friend who has a Welsh collie/kelpie cross and a 3/4 BC X 1/4 Belgian shepherd mix, both deliberate crosses bred for specific purposes. . . . and both competent working farm dogs.

So it will be interesting to see how your friend's pup turns out. Do be sure to let us know.