BC Boards

I don't have a fenced yard and I agree with Sue, this makes me a better owner in some regards.

I take out my guy every time, on a long line for play and on a shorter leash if it is just a quick "out to potty - no fun time" trip. If he's blowing off your recalls, you physically enforce it (with the line) and reward it with tasty treats. I would also ensure that you do not call him to you only to bring him back inside, that only reinforces the idea that coming when called is not as fun as what is over the fence. Call him over with tasty treats, pull him on the line if you have to, and then let him go play again. Dogs are masters of probability - so you need to show him that coming when called MOSTLY means playtime continues. Also, I suggest you purchase some toys that are outside only, things that he will get excited for but only gets when he is with you outdoors. This will also entice him to stay in his yard. Above all, try to look into a trainer or class. Shop around - I found a puppy class with a trainer I love for about $100 less than the rest around and I just love it.

I've also heard of people who have had success with "boundary training" - dogs who respect boundaries such as the end of a driveway, etc perfectly. I don't have any experience with it myself but something you can look into online. Good luck and please don't hesitate asking more questions here! We are here to help, and many can sympathize with having BCs and toddlers at the same time.

I have done the boundary with mine. For the BC, she is great with it the GSD is for the most part good. And he's older. LOL I put her on a lead and walked the boundaries. When ever she got out of the boundary I would say oy ( which is my word for no )in a stern I mean business tone, pull her back inside and treat or throw the ball. She picked it up in just a couple of tries.

This and a solid down command work really nice off leash. This works really well at work. I can

leave the door open an she will lay in the doorway looking out but will not go outside. Also there is a lot across the road that we play in on lunch. If I throw the frisbee and it lands in the road she will stop at the curb an wait for me to go get it. Yes I put a lot of trust in my dog. Maybe more that I should but I have put a lot of work into her and it pays off an it's one on one.

Jan

Donald, i'm not sure that I agree with you. Assuming that one is relatively new to dogs, one might not have the repertoire of relatively simple training techniques discussed here. I think that a forum such as this one (and this one in particular) is a great place to start to seek help for one's dog. It sounds like the OP has had the dog for a relatively short period of time and the behaviour does not sound extreme to me in the sense that it has not been something that the OP has been working on for a long time unsuccessfully.

it is often suggested that people experiencing difficulties hire a trainer. As someone that does not know a trainer personally, this seems like a really daunting task. First of all, it sounds really expensive. Secondly, how does one even begin to find a trainer that is experienced in our particular breed, with your type of problem that also has similar training philosophies. I think when one already knows a trainer, that suggestion is a lot easier to follow.

Dear Doggers,

I don't doubt one can learn from this and other forums. But Ms.Russell's dog doesn't come when called and this fail is a pretty good predictor for the dog's short unhappy life and owner's regret. At best, the dog that doesn't come when called will be a management problem the rest of its days.

Ms Russell's dog KNOWS it need not come when called. While it is easy to teach a pup to come it is not easy to teach a pup to not run away. It has tasted the rewards of freedom and has no concept of the downside which, if not a speeding car, may well be the animal shelter.

How hard is it to find a trainer? Er, ask your vet? Ask the person doing obedience exercises at the park? Try http://www.nadoi.org/instructors.htm or http://canineprofessionals.com/FindAProfessional. I am not confident that many APDT trainers can handle a runaway problem though most could help with managing it.

I was a beginner once and remember how confusing it was to train my first Border Collie. We were cash strapped and working very hard to keep from losing the farm. As I recall my first Jack Knox clinic cost about what I spent for a week's groceries.

I repeat: running away is serious and hard to correct and few to no beginners will correct the habit without professional help. Sign up for an obedience class.

Donald McCaig