BC Boards

Dog beds....

Both of mine are willing to spend about 10 minutes in bed when I first go to bed, but neither of them will stay the night. They always hop down. One will sleep on the rug in winter, that's his biggest concession to the "cold," which is never colder than 68 degrees anyway.

It's 64 in here right now (in my house) and I'm freezing! But I can't afford a huge electric bill, so we just put on more clothing or pile on the bed together, lol! Usually I have at least three in bed with me, plus one cat.... Lark doesn't believe a dog belongs anywhere else but on the bed (with or without me).

I need to move further south, clearly.

J.

Both of mine are willing to spend about 10 minutes in bed when I first go to bed, but neither of them will stay the night. They always hop down. One will sleep on the rug in winter, that's his biggest concession to the "cold," which is never colder than 68 degrees anyway.

Brody hated dog beds, when he got sick we tried all sorts of things so he would not sleap on the wood floor, the winner was 1/3 size quilt I made and. He would honor us with a couple of minute cuddle at bed time then it was back to the cold floor.

It's 64 in here right now (in my house) and I'm freezing! But I can't afford a huge electric bill, so we just put on more clothing or pile on the bed together, lol! Usually I have at least three in bed with me, plus one cat.... Lark doesn't believe a dog belongs anywhere else but on the bed (with or without me).

J.

You are lucky Julie, I am down to one dog who will not stay on the bed after I turn the light out, and I keep the thermostat at 62. When my husband travels I have been known to beg the dog to stay, but it never works. Good job we have a very thick duvet.

J.

Not knowing where in NC you live, I wish I lived there. You actually have seasons and enough Winter to know you had it. We had a grand total of 5 days last Winter where I felt the need for something heavier than a long sleeve t-shirt, and even then it was only a sweatshirt. And I'm outside at 7:00am every day.

Guess I've been very lucky. Kian is almost 2 and has never chewed up any beds. Toys are a different matter. I have 2 that I bought last year at Menards in the bedroom and she can either lay on them or my bed. She has to wait until I invite her up on mine, at least the first time. She may get down to get a drink and then back up or stay on the floor until right before the alarm goes off. I notice during the summer that she would also only stay on my bed until I turned out the lights then on the floor she would go. Sometimes to the bathroom where there is no carpet so it was cooler for her. These last two weeks for the most part she has stayed on the bed all night. Usually she has to be crossways with her butt against my side or back. Good thing for a queen size bed. I only get enough most nights to lay on my back on the very edge, the rest of the bed is hers.

Jan

My dogs all know the command "scoot over," but even so with a smaller bed and several of them on there, space is definitely at a premium! I probably would sleep better if they weren't on the bed, but they do help keep me warm!

I only get enough most nights to lay on my back on the very edge, the rest of the bed is hers.
Jan

Gideon's Girl,

We do have seasons, of sorts, here, especially if you're in the western part of the state. When I lived closer to the coast (Elizabeth City), there was little in the way of snow, and here in the Piedmont (I'm north of Durham), we definitely have seasonal temperatures but rarely see snow, which is fine by me. I love the look of a fresh snowfall, but don't like the mess and extra work it creates for me. And I really dislike being cold. I can stand the heat way better than I can stand the cold (the friend I work set out with and I have had this discussion often--she's the opposite, preferring the cold because she can always add more layers. Granted I can't strip naked in the heat, but I just seem to tolerate being hot better, which is why the only time I run the a/c in summer is if the old dogs are suffering from the heat. I actually freeze in air conditioned buildings.)

J.

I used to get cold that easily, but we got my thyroid issue figured out and I'm fine now. You defininely live where I wish I did. All I want is a sprinkling of snow, so you know you got it but not all the inconvenience, and not too far from the mountains. I'd probably prefer a bit further West, in fact, I love Cowee, behind Franklin, right on the Nantahala. I grew up with the Sierras, and it is the only thing I miss since moving to FL. For us, an overpass is tall.

I am like you, Julie. Only turn on the air conditioning when the dogs start to suffer or the cats start to pant.

We are all accustomed to heat here at my house.

I hate being cold, and I get cold ridiculously easily after living in the desert for 9 years, especially considering that I grew up north of Montana.

Gideon's Girl, you should take a look at southern AZ. We got mountains. When it snows here it is exciting because it happens so rarely, and is always gone by the end of the day. But any time I want to see snow in the winter all I have to do is go up into the mountains.

And if you like less heat, you just live at a higher elevation.

'Course, what we do not get much of is rain.

:-)

I am like you, Julie. Only turn on the air conditioning when the dogs start to suffer or the cats start to pant.

We are all accustomed to heat here at my house.

I hate being cold, and I get cold ridiculously easily after living in the desert for 9 years, especially considering that I grew up north of Montana.

Gideon's Girl, you should take a look at southern AZ. We got mountains. When it snows here it is exciting because it happens so rarely, and is always gone by the end of the day. But any time I want to see snow in the winter all I have to do is go up into the mountains.

And if you like less heat, you just live at a higher elevation.

'Course, what we do not get much of is rain.

:-)

I love Arizona! I would love to live in the dessert, I prefer high dessert to low dessert, but I'd take any. The real issue is my husbands job, which pay too well to just walk away from...sigh.

Say, this is OT but I just noticed that under my name in the previous post it says "0 warning points"

I tried to search "warning points" on the site but there's nothing.

What is a "warning point"??

They really aren't using the "warning system," but if you had broken a posting rule and they gave you a warning then you would have 1 warning point. I had to ask when I first noticed that.

• 2 weeks later...

Turbo could not have anything in his crate for the first 1.5 years or so or else he'd chew it. Also, no stuffed type toys or anything he should shred. That left him with bones and hard rubber type toys like kongs only. Once he matured, we introduced a bed back in his crate and he was fine. Still can't do stuffies or similar.