BC Boards

BorderDoodles?

I'm supposedly allergic to dust, but I have never noticed any difference at all from when I keep the house spotless versus the way it usually is(which is far from spotless). I have much more issue with whatever is pollinating.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have 3 cockerpoos waiting to start agility with newbie handlers though. I'm anticipation that they'll turn out no worse than a working cocker does if they are in the wrong hands.

Hmmm, why aren't they called cockadoodles? :rolleyes::D

OK, probably an old joke ... back under my rock now.

The "doodle"part comes from the original (I believe) retriever cross, which was with Labs. Therefore, Labrad + oodle.

I guess the goldendoodle folks just co-opted the "d".

Most of the rest have added "poo" to the end of the (usually) shortened form of the other breed, though some add "oodle", as in schnoodle (schnauzer x poodle).

Clear as mud, huh?

ETA: I have no idea why a borderdoodle would have the "d". Makes no sense at all. Well, it doesn't make any sense to cross a BC with a poodle in the first place, so why should the name make sense? :rolleyes:

I always figured after someone came up with labradoodle, they decided they liked that better than poo. Poo was what all of them were called 20 and 30 years ago. For a while, I thought I was always seeing doodle for a standard poodle/large breed cross and poo for a toy poodle/small breed cross, but I recently ran into toy poodle/golden crosses, retch, retch, and they were still doodles. And a friend has a Maltipoo that she prefers to call a Maltidoodle. Go figure. So that's why I'm not sure if my friends dog is a doxipoo(that's what they used to be called) or a doxidoodle, though it is definitely a dipsy doodle.

Perhaps they are trying to get rich and think that curly Border Collies could only come from a deliberate cross? My red boy, Loki, is curly but thank goodness he's all Border Collie. :) I can't imagine the use of a "Border Doodle" much less the other bizarre "designer" dogs that people have come up with. About 6 yrs ago when I picked up my Rosie from an Iowa shelter (the foster dog that never left- lol!) they had runs full of "Border Doodle" puppies." I didn't see them (I was too busy watching Rose bite the shelter staff repeatedly) but my friend about laughed herself silly. Apparently they looked pretty odd and . I do wonder if they would look like my Loki but of course, they wouldn't be nearly as cute. ;)

Loki showing his mad curls. http://www.flickr.com/photos/crawforddogs/8365611817/

The amazing duo, Rose and Loki. http://www.flickr.com/photos/crawforddogs/10500000224/

Bethany, Nosie Rose, and Loki-mon

The doodle owners I know just adore their dogs. I don't care for their looks at all but have met a few that were perfectly pleasant. Obviously, doodles have their fans. I have met a number of people who think Border Collies are crazy, wild dogs unless they are working farm dogs. Different strokes for different folks.

I don't think it was that organized. I suspect they just choose whichever sounds better. Personally, I want to start breeding Bull Shits and make a ton of money.

Hey, wait, we produce plenty of bull, cow, and calf poos and we don't make lots of money. Oh, that's probably because we don't use a catchy name and market on the web as rare or improved or adorable or non-allergenic or whatever...

The stupid dal crosses are to breed in affinity with horses is what some stupid "breeder" told me. So if you are doing stockwork from horseback, this may be the dog for you, or not. No, he wasn't looking for people who actually do stockwork or have horses to buy his dogs.

Wel i do work stock from horseback, and my full blooded bc suits me just fine.

This sort of breeder statements make my BS detector go off the scale...

Well, I asked my friend with the doxi cross and she said doxidoodle, she would never have a doxipoo, who would. I just about died.

Liz, I know plenty of people who would pay a lot of good money for your Bull Shit and think they had gotten a fantastic bargain to boot.

Smalahundur, it was definitely BS, and great big loads of it. The man knew nothing about stockwork, so how could he know what traits you would want to breed in a dog. Heck, he didn't know anything about dogs or horses really either.

So sure you spent all that extra money on a dog that doesn't shed as much as another breed, but many aren't aware of the upkeep involved with their coats and sadly most come in looking like hell.

I do know that people who have doodles have a bad time trying to keep their coats from matting all over. I would just hate that. It's just such a nuisance.

Too true.

My whatever-he-is (probably maltese/poodle) poodle cross is one of the cutest and most appealing little dogs I have ever met and everywhere we go people fall in love with him.

But! He has to be combed at least every other day and fully groomed at least once a month.

I bought the clippers and learned how to do the grooming myself because I couldn't afford professional grooming. The first few times he didn't look all that great, but after a year of practice (and watching videos and hanging out in petsmart watching the groomers through the window)... I have it down and now can do a pretty good job.

Fortunately for me, I really enjoy doing it.

It upsets me when I see a dog with matted fur. That is painful for the dog and results in a bad tempered dog who then gets dumped at the pound or worse.

Why don't people do any research before getting a dog?????

People do more research before buying a car than getting a live animal.

:angry: :angry:

Friend of mine recently asked my advice about getting a dog.

she is 5 feet tall and has a bad back.

and she was planning to get a young rottie or perhaps a lab/mastiff cross.

It had not occurred to her until I pointed it out that she would have no hope of being able to control an 80 pound dog on a leash if it saw a rabbit and wanted to take off.

<sigh>