BC Boards

"starting" a 12 year old

Guest Lilliam

Guest Lilliam

I believe this thread has outlived its usefulness.

Thanks to everyone who did not think the worst of me and my plans. I am grateful. I will let you know how it all turns out. Maybe Billy and I might find a way into some arena courses, and if not, he will do some light training for as long as he is able. He is my last border collie - for now. I adore my old man and I want the best for him.

I appreciate the good thoughts.

Many thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he is in good shape, except for the arthritis that has started to come on in the last year or so. It's most obvious when he doesn't want to get on the bed with me after hiking or playing hard all day.

That, to me, suggests that putting him on sheep might be pretty hard on his body.

As I said, based on my own experience, 10 minutes on sheep would be comparable to hiking or playing hard all day. It's different movements and different use of muscles. If he's that symptomatic when he plays hard, I think it's realistic to anticipate that sheep work will be just as hard or harder on him.

JMO, of course . . .

Guest Lilliam

Perhaps if you had years of experience on this forum where new members ask similar questions using similar language as those I've quoted above where what they really wanted was approval for using sheep as dog toys your attitude on my stance would be different.

Perhaps if you had talked to me instead of projecting others' sins onto me you would not have assumed the worst of me.

Cheers.

Good bye.

Guest Lilliam

That, to me, suggests that putting him on sheep might be pretty hard on his body.

As I said, based on my own experience, 10 minutes on sheep would be comparable to hiking or playing hard all day. It's different movements and different use of muscles. If he's that symptomatic when he plays hard, I think it's realistic to anticipate that sheep work will be just as hard or harder on him.

JMO, of course . . .

Thank you, yes, the activity level is much higher. Of course, I will take that into consideration. If it is too much for him then of course we will end it. I will not force something on him if he can't do it or if it's too much.

Many thanks.

Thanks to everyone who did not think the worst of me and my plans. I am grateful. I will let you know how it all turns out. Maybe Billy and I might find a way into some arena courses, and if not, he will do some light training for as long as he is able. He is my last border collie - for now. I adore my old man and I want the best for him.

I appreciate the good thoughts.

Many thanks.

Thank you, and you are welcome. Please let us know how it goes. Glad to assist with questions/advice, should you wish. I'm a long way from the east coast. I PM'd my email address.-- Best wishes, TEC

Guest Lilliam

Thank you, and you are welcome. Please let us know how it goes. Glad to assist with questions/advice, should you wish. I'm a long way from the east coast. I PM'd my email address.-- Best wishes, TEC

Thank you for the kindness. PM answered.

Man, I couldn't agree more. A whole bunch of posts ago, you said, "From the very first post I stated that I wanted him on stock, I wasn't asking if I should. I asked is it too late because I don't know if it is possible to start a dog at that age, not whether I should." If you were going to do it anyway, no matter what people said, you'd inevitably find out whether it was "too late" (whatever you might mean by that) or not. So it's hard to see what usefulness the thread could ever have had.

You are now in touch by PM with someone ideally suited to respond to your questions. I don't think this drawn-out thread needs to be prolonged further, especially since more and more of it is being spent on charges of mockery, belittlement, etc., which by their nature are devoid of usefulness. I will close it now.