BC Boards

Glimmers if hope...he's finally growing up!

It's only taken 16 months, but Timber finally seems to be consistently making big dog choices and is growing up some, yeah! After 12 years of not having a puppy I forgot how lonnnngggg they can take to mature, a few months ago I wasn't sure he would ever get there.

But the last two weeks or so he is suddenly turning the corner. Yesterday he was off leash at one if our local trails, had great recall, checking in on his own several times. Last week we had an off leash lab come bounding off a trail and pop out if the woods in front of him, a month ago that would have set him off, instead he watched for a moment and then turned and looked at me! The last several times we have been at the farm he has kept on eye on the horses, but hasn't thought about being naughty even once. And he is consistently understanding that stock work is only to be done when he is asked, not when he wants to tear down the field at turbo speed to harass the little woollies on his own. And best of all, he is figuring out the alarm going off in the morning doesn't actually mean that we get out if bed and get going for the day, but instead it's doggy cuddle time and we snooze for another 30 minutes!

So, for you all at that puppy moment when you are fearing your monster will never grow up, there is hope.

Maybe it was just the heat and she'll perk up again once it cools down. :rolleyes:

Lol!! She was actually just as active as ever over the summer. She just started *thinking* more, started showing some nice self control and her focus improved. I'm really liking this more mature version of my dog!

Oh the glimmer of hope. How I pray for this one day! It's always so funny to people when they hear that I can't wait for my puppy to grow up. I mean, I love them when they are small and it's a really fun time, but I want a DOG. Until then, I share my house with a little furry dagger toothed shark :)

Oh the glimmer of hope. How I pray for this one day! It's always so funny to people when they hear that I can't wait for my puppy to grow up. I mean, I love them when they are small and it's a really fun time, but I want a DOG. Until then, I share my house with a little furry dagger toothed shark :)

Ha ha! My sentiments exactly!