BC Boards

Got my pup...

At this age (and even at an older age, but it works better when they are younger and clueless :) ), use treats. Easiest if you can recruit a 2nd person to feed him treats to distract him from what you are doing - cutting his hair, clipping his nails, whatever. If you are by yourself, you can try alternating treats with clipping his fur or try giving him something to lick that might distract him enough to ignore you while you are clipping his fur.

If there's no one around to help, you can smear peanut butter on the fridge (or other easily washable surface) at puppy nose level. He'll probably be too interested in licking the PB to worry too much about what you;'re doing. :)

Oh, good lord, the CUTE! It's debilitating! How do you get anything DONE? :D

As for food, at this age, I just let them eat as much as they want in about 3 of 4 minutes. If they wander off or pick at it or don't finish the bowl, I put it away until next time. It sounds like he has a good sense of when he's had enough, so I don't think I'd worry about him over-doing it, unless he starts inhaling food like a German Shepherd. ;)

Did I mention that he's cute? :rolleyes:

~ Gloria

"...Here he is struggling for dear life because I have to cut some sap out of his fur... he did not enjoy that at all, but seems to have forgiven me for it. Anyone have advice for getting sap out of dog fur that doesn't require me traumatising poor Jinx with clippers to get it out..."

Great looking pup. I use margarine. Let it dissolve for while, and the sap comes right off. I've heard peanut butter works too. -- TEC

That's what I do too, margerine or peanut butter, and then I put the gooped up dog out for a while. If the offending spot is where he can reach it, he will clean himself off, if not, the other dogs will do it.

And the sap wouldn't hurt to eat?

He had a little bit of diarrhoea today and now I'm really paranoid about parvo.... It didn't look bloody or anything though and he's been acting normal and playful. Could it be something food related? Maybe the hotdog treats or the beef bone? He did eat a good chunk of it... I've been making sure that he's drinking and his did eat most of his lunch. I think I might just be over thinking it. He did also get some dewormer a couple days ago...

Also, is tripe safe/healthy to feed everyday?

Too much tripe would cause me to hurl, everywhere.

Yes, too much food can cause diarrhea. Dogs can have very individual responses to everything. Buzz couldn't tolerate Balance Roll. Gibbs has diarrhea in response to dairy foods, but nothing else that I've fed him. That includes a lot of fruits, turkey necks, chicken necks, all in all a very wide variety.

It's very much a 'take note as you go along' kind of thing.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Sooo... I think I might have the best puppy ever. I had to leave him at home for the first time since I got him for an extended period of time today, for work... He was home for 6 hours. I fully expected him to go potty inside his pen. He has a pee pad and it's a decent size area for him to play and run around. Came home from work and the little man was doing the most excited potty dance I have ever seen. He did make a mess of his water bowl(but not too bad). No pee or poop in sight. Peed twice when I let him out and pooped. Definitely no funny business sniffing around.

I felt bad all night leaving him alone for so long though. So I have a question. If he's going to be in a crate/pen for that time anyways... Would it be cruel to bring him to work with me, I can park right in from of the building and see my car, and leave him in the car in a crate with the windows down... Temps aren't getting any higher than 60, and it's only getting colder. If I brought him I would be able to take him out every 1.5-2 hours. I could tie him up right outside but I think he would be more comfortable crated in the car. And I know that no one would mess with him in my car. Dogs are definitely a big thing in town, everyone has one and everyone takes them with them. I see dogs in cars with the windows rolled and the back half open or tied up outside non pet friendly stores everywhere, no one gives it a second thought.

So what do I do. Bring him or leave him home? If he is home no one to take him out, feed him(I did leave him frozen stuffed bones and kong) and walk him. If I bring him he'll get let out every couple hours and taken on a little walk so he can relieve himself and whatnot and I can also feed him. When I'm home all day with him he goes potty about every 2 hours or so, or if he's busy he goes for longer. I usually take him out before he asks though.

Also I'm in the process of switching his food. From Red Paw to TOTW, I would love to continue feeding rp but with my current living situation I can't get it shipped to the house, so it's a lot less of a hassle to just buy TOTW at the store. Stool has been a little bit softer but that was expected and I haven't fully switched him, but it's definitely nowhere near diarrhoea.

He is starting to look more like a dog than a puppy, I can't wait till his adult fur comes in. Went on a hike this morning and was very pleased at how surefooted he is, climbing all over rocks and logs(he did have the option of just staying on a trail), I think he'll enjoy agility when he's older. I let him off the leash because there was nowhere he could go to get hurt(unless we ran into a bear I guess... But then his chances are probably better off leash) He was nice and tired afterwards, which is what I wanted since I knew I would be leaving him for so long. He likes playing in the patches of snow that we ran into, it was fun watching him slide around a bit.

Having fun at a lake last week

99F90902-53EB-4489-9B80-C050535C7843-744

AD6D19A7-EAC3-4243-A317-0EA69D51317C-744

First snow!(well in the daytime... nighttime potty runs that night were not fun...)

0B7BFF87-5135-4B3F-A068-05EA80C77E68-744

I think this is his favorite pose. He does it whenever he gets the chance.

052A566A-F436-437F-AB02-2F0FCBA7E55D-744

You want my trachea?

A45694BB-F9C0-4C03-A41E-16F5C6D0B317-744

The snow today

C558CE4D-F241-4523-91C1-732705656B7F-744

D1FDB7FF-D5C5-42E1-856E-ECC830E9CC10-744

Thanks! I think I will leave him home for short/half shifts(4-5 hours) and then on longer/full days I'll bring him with me. Then at least when he's at home it's not for 8 hours with no one.

I think he's finally learned that walks are much more enjoyable if he doesn't stop and sit every 15 feet. I haven't really spent any time teaching him how to heel. I don't really care if he's walking directly next to me on my left, as long as he's not pulling and I'm the one leading the walk. So far when he does try to pull I just stop and walk the other way. I occasionally change directions as we're walking-I must look crazy to the neighbours, sporadically changing directions all the time. I also praise him when he looks at me. Is there anything else I should/shouldn't be doing?

He's also a weirdo. I caught him today sticking his nose in his water bowl and blowing bubbles. (which I will make a fun trick later)(doesn't mean there's anything wrong with him, right?) But thought it was funny when I saw him just do it. Likes dipping his paws in too... ugh. So he likes playing in the water bowl and jumped right into a lake. But baths are torture, wtf?

He was born June 13th. It's hard to tell from the photos, but he has a little white goatee and white on 3 of his paws. One of his litter mates had the white on his chin, chest and toes. The other ones were the classic black & white. Looks like he's a bit older than Jinx

Starting to look more like a dog and less of a furball now. He's definitely gotten longer and slimmer(or maybe he just looks slimmer because he's longer.

IMG_6779_zps10315672.jpeg

I was wondering if it would be detrimental to have the vet shave the fur between his toes. He is constantly getting sap in them and soon we'll be getting snow, and I don't want snowballs to build up between there. I do plan on getting him booties but would like to wait until he's grown a bit more because they're not exactly cheap around here. I would make some temp ones myself but don't have the equipment since I moved. Have to go to the vet anyways to get his shots, and if I ask he'll shave the fur. Just want to make sure it won't harm Jinx.

He's definitely doing a lot better with strangers but still scared. He's not scared of the roommates though so that's good. He gladly runs up to them. And has absolutely no problem meeting other dogs, unless they rush him, which is understandable. It is kinda annoying though, a lot of people let their dogs roam or don't leash them so random dogs will run right up to us, and I worry about diseases they can bring. It kinda sucks, the yard where I live is not fenced, so bears, coyotes, other dogs can come and go and poop and pee in it as they please. So... kinda just hoping most people up here care enough to vaccinate their dogs.

And when he gets excited he has the cutest tipped ears EVER. I'm hoping he chooses to hold them up all the time... I'm almost positive he's just teasing me though. Maybe I'll only pay attention to him when he has his ears up ;)

I've made dog booties exactly like those fleece ones for some of my other dogs and they're worked well for snow, but not so much for hiking and backpacking(have definitely needed sturdier rubber soles). I think I'm going to have to buy the materials and make quite a few for him until he reaches adult size since we won't be doing much hiking till he's grown and then, and there will hopefully be too much snow for us to do much hiking(work for a ski resort so job kinda depends on having tons of snow). And I don't have a po box yet to get stuff sent to :-/ lol.

I wish he would let me cut them myself! And I don't have anyone to help me hold down the puppy struggling for his life. I've tried peanut butter on a stationary object, stuffed kong, bone, he just hates his toes being messed with. I can grab his paws and play with them... but get anything like nail clippers or even a file near then and I might as well be trying to kill him. He didn't seem to be as traumatised when I held him and the vet did his paw the first time we were there to get his first shots, though. I only had him cut out sap though and not shave down all of his paws.

Is there any reason that I shouldn't teach him to dig on command? I noticed him doing it and encouraged it by saying "dig" and he just absolutely LOVES digging, ears perk right up and he goes nuts. I have to tell him "leave it" very sternly to get him to stop, but he does.

I know you're going to the vet soon, but for more regular toenail clipping and paw fur trimming, you might want to check out a groomer. My groomer will do both for $5, though most are a little more than that.

The nice thing about doing it that way is that you can squirt spray cheese or fast feed other super yummy treats as the clipping is being done to distract him.

In the meantime, you could try some desensitization and counter conditioning with clippers and scissors. Show them to him at a distance where he doesn't freak out and give him lots of especially good treats. As he becomes more comfortable, move them a little closer until you can gradually touch him w/ them for just a second. the idea here is to change his emotional response to the tools. Don't move them closer until he's actually eager when he' sees them because he knows he'll be getting yummy treats. It's a long, slow process, but can be well worth it in the long run. Lot's of great explanations of the process on the 'net.

Good luck, and have fun!