BC Boards

Kennel Suggestions, Please.

We have decided to provide our two dogs with an indoor/outdoor kennel with access to a heated basement garage for those rare occasions when we are gone for more than three hours at a stretch. I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on what to avoid or include in our one-year-old Border Collie and her elderly Springer Spaniel friend's home kennel accommodations? Is it necessary that she be able to see the driveway? Her indoor crate gives her that ability, but the new kennel would be much more complicated to build if she needed that to keep her happy. We would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you in advance!

We have an outdoor kennel attached to the house for our dog, Scout. It used to go inside too, but we took that part out and now he just stays outside when we are out. He didn't seem to mind the difference much.

Anywho, my advice for your construction projects is to be sure to include a house for your dog/dogs (I don't know if they would share or need two) for warmth and because they are denning animals by nature and may like it even if it doesn't get cold.

And most importantly, make your house(s) with a flat or only very slightly sloped (for drainage) roof. My dog spends much more time on the roof than in the house. They love the vantange point the elevation adds!

Happy building!

Jenny and Scout

Dear Jenny and Scott,

Thank you for your kind advice. You mention a roof, but since we had intended to have them take shelter inside the garage, we still need to make their nest cozy with a roof or enclosure to make it feel denlike.

We have high hopes for the success of the project. It would be much easier on the dogs if they could relieve themselves and stretch their legs when we are gone for a while. We had a formerly-feral hound for many years named Mona who preferred her dog house to our house any day, although she spent her golden years snoozing inside with her nose trained to the draft under the front door. I hope a box/nest in the basement garage and outdoor run suits our Border Collie and her old spaniel pal o.k.

Once again, thank you for your kind response. We do love our b.c's, don't we? Best Regards, Addie's Mom

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to invest in a run, I would like to suggest a Bob Long kennel in the micro mesh chain link. We have a 6 x 18 that is on a concrete pad (8 x 20). We put a roof, constructed of 2 x 4's two feet apart, over it. It doesn't have posts for support but instead sits on the top of the run. The top part is fiberglass panels. It is lightweight enough that 4 people can easily lift it onto the run. On the end that faces west, I put a heavy canvas tarp to break the wind in winter and the evening sun in summer. I really like the micro mesh chain link as it is so much safer. The links are only 1 1/2 inces as opposed to the normal 2 inches. You can put a cat in my run and it will still be there when you go back. I can send you a picture if you want. Bob Long is in Gambriel, Maryland. Which isn't too bad a drive if you have a way to go pick up one yourself. I do not have the phone number any more but I think it is in Dog World magazine (see Dog World is good for something) :rolleyes:

What part of Ohio are you from?

Dear Cyndi of Stonefarms,

What a super set-up you must have for your dogs! I have never heard of micro-mesh chain link and will definitely try it if our first attempt fails in its mission. Since my request, we assembled a 9' by 15' dog run from scraps left from an addition we put on our log home a few years ago. So far, it is working extremely well! In the past, when we returned from a prolonged absence, poor Addie was furious, having spent the time in her cage in our room, with our four cats parading past, casting smug glances her way, no doubt. Now when we come home, I swear she seems much more relaxed, having spent time communing with nature and going in and out of the garage at whim. She's as happy as a kid with her first apartment. We live in Twinsburg, Ohio. Thank you kindly for sharing the information on kennel construction! Those were great tips!

Best Regards,

Addie's Mom

To: Leahluvsherpups

Thank you for your advice, as well! Those also sound like nice spacious digs for your dogs. I was scolded years ago by a woman who saw my hound mix in her dog house. I was horribly reproached (albeit silently) by our Springer Spaniel for attempting to leave him in the same kennel years later. Some people (and dogs) don't like them, but so far Addie seems to much prefer her kennel to being left in the house within range of the mockery of cats.

Thanks again,

Addie's Mom

One more thought! If you build an outdoor house for your dog, don't be surprised if he doesn't take up immediate residence.

After spending hours measuring cutting screwing etc and building Scout's house, he didn't go near it for months. I was soooo disappointed, but now he uses it constantly in the winter (he sleeps outside even on the coldest nights and protests when I try to keep him inside for the night - they are such creatures of habit!) and is wearing through the layers of plywood on the roof from lazing on top all summer.

It's funny at night too, when we take him out to go pee before bed we walk through his kennel where his house is, if he doesn't have/ want to go, he will turn abruptly and head straight into his house. Sometimes even with a leash on!

Jenny and Scout