BC Boards

to wrap or not to wrap

bcnewe2

Dew cut the skin off her pad the other day on a piece of tin. It is not deep, didn't even really bleed. More like how it would be if she scraped it on pavement. But the flap was still attached and it is her whole pad.

She's been good, I kept it wrapped since Thursday, the day it happened.

Today I cut the flap of dead skin off.

Now she's worring it. She took 2 wrappings off (she left it alone till now).

I'd like to let it dry up. We have to work setting sheep all next weekend. I figure I'll keep it wrapped while she works.

Question is, do I let her lick it a little bit(I can make her stop but she sneaks off) and keep it open so it gets some air? Or wrap it so she can't lick it at all but it stays bandage moist anyway?

Can you use an e-collar to keep her from fussing at it? I know that might not work but I wondered.

I have never ceased to be amazed at how well cut/torn/abraded pads heal. I've tried wrapping (Celt had a bad cut once) and not wrapping, and I can't say that either was better or worse in terms of healing.

How's that for being no help whatsoever?

Good luck with this!

PS - If you do wrap, have you been able to try the no-chew version of vetwrap? It's supposed to be nasty-tasting and deter many dogs.

Thanks Sue, That's exactly our predicament. Does it help or not! ;)

I could try an e-collar but she is not one to get stressed over things, I was sorta wondering if a bit of licking might help a tad. I can say that wonderdust burns like he**! I put that on her and she just cried! I quickly washed it off with vetricin and she settled right back down. But it also must taste bad cause she wasn't licking at all.

It's funny, in all our injuries I have never had to use a collar. Broken bones, stitches, spays and the occasional neuter. None of them have been worriers. Maybe that's cause I'm close enough all the time to tell them to quit.

Last night she finally turned her back on me and tried to hide herself but gave up quickly.

So I've been wrapping for outside with a small amount of wrap and a pad so she can move about then taking it off in the house where I can keep a pretty good eye on her.

I'm glad to hear they heal fast or I hope that's what you meant. Poor dear, it could of been so much worse I feel pretty lucky. The friend that saw her hit the tin said she hit both her front and back foot hopping out of the stock tank. It was hidden in the tall grass so I hadn't noticed.

PS - If you do wrap, have you been able to try the no-chew version of vetwrap? It's supposed to be nasty-tasting and deter many dogs.

We tried this on Pip once when we wrapped his foot after the vet removed a badly torn nail. The nasty taste must've seemed like candy to him, lol!

So I've been wrapping for outside with a small amount of wrap and a pad so she can move about then taking it off in the house where I can keep a pretty good eye on her.

This is the way I usually handle it. Wrapped to protect from dirt or further injury when outside, and unwrapped in the house to allow air flow.

J.

I think when they cut the pads cleanly, leaving a flap, as long as it's not too deep, they heal pretty quickly. Usually within a week they're back to normal. Last year Tex hurt his pad (I'm convinced it was some sort of bite that he wouldn't/couldn't leave alone) and it took months of management to get it healed. In the end I bought a giant cone for when he was alone and kept it covered (it was rare for him to be alone). THANKFULLY, that episode seemed like a rare event, as he's cut and blown pads plenty of times before. No issues...kept it uncovered, looked at it occasionally.

Good luck!

She is tender enough that she'd be three legging outside in this dry grass. Hard to eliminate with a front leg hiked. Plus it seems like we are forever in some kind of poop of one sort or another.

What were doing is working. I just wondered if there was a better way to promote healing.