BC Boards

Cleaning Up Shedding? Recommendations for a Vaccum Cleaner?

My two guys are always shedding, especially this year with the temperature extremes we have had. I have pretty much ruined two vaccums in the last 2 1/2 years. One was a Hoover and the other a Bissel, both were supposed to be designed to pick up pet hair. I am tired of buying a new one every 12-14 months, especially as I follow the instructions in the owners manual to keep the filters and every thing else clean.

What vaccum cleaners actually work picking up pet hair and last a decent length of time?

Thank You.

I don't know how long it will last, but we bought a new Kenmore #21614 about 2 months ago, and I REALLY like it. We researched vacuums a little bit (we used Consumers' Report), and focused on mid-range vacs with good ratings. At the time, Sears was having a sale on all vacuums so it was a good time to buy. Another reason it was a good time to buy was because our old Hoover (~31 years old) finally quit.

This vacuum (and the one that is the 'better' vac, but also $100 more) comes with an attachment called the Pet-Mate. It looks like a mini-sized carpet sweeper i.e. it has a rotating brush like a normal-size carpet sweeper. It works pretty good.

I really wanted a cool-looking Dyson pet vac --- but they were about $200 more, and Consumers Reports (and reviewer reports) gave them a bad rating.

Jovi

This is my one and only vacuum cleaner. I'm crazy about it. Only one fault - it ships with a shortish hose, but I got a long one from e-bay, and that makes it just about perfect. Uses either a cloth, reusable bag or you can get disposable paper ones too. Good, strong suction, useful set of extra tools, and it will last forever. They also sell a nylon wrap with a tool bag on the side, which I recommend. You can stick the tools in the mesh pocket, along with a rag and whatever other things you might want. It has a really long (25') heavy-duty cord.

Here's a link to the Amazon page, so you can look at the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-CH3000-Commercial-Portapower-Cleaner/dp/B001DCYRH6/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1377384763&sr=1-17&keywords=hoover+portable

post-10533-0-06085500-1377385292_thumb.jpg

I keep a slicker brush in the vacuum side pocket. Nothing beats a slicker for getting hair off of Persian rugs. It's quick, easy (if you don't have back problems) and saves you a lot on vacuum bags. I run over the rugs with a slicker before vacuuming, and throw the hair in a dustpan. Scary how much one Border Collie and one cat shed! :blink:

I have lots of old carpet and I love my Dyson. Totally love the job it does. It is not for the faint of heart, slight of arm, or weak of back. It gets up so much dog hair and dirt that it's scary.

I have lots of old carpet and I love my Dyson. Totally love the job it does. It is not for the faint of heart, slight of arm, or weak of back. It gets up so much dog hair and dirt that it's scary.

I am also an avowed Dysonite. Every time I vacuum, it sucks so much up, that I have long decided my Dyson is the only thing standing between me and utter squalor. :lol:

I also love my Dyson, it is about 6 years old now and still going strong. I have the purple animal model. I have not taken particular good care of it and used it for non-household chores such as vacuuming up dust from sanding floors which it proved much better at than either of our shop vacs.

Mine is the traditional upright model, if I have to replace it I want the compact one with the ball.

I had a Kenmore upright for like 10 years and then I went through FOUR lesser vacuums in two years after the Kenmore finally died. Now I have a Shark Navigator, and I love it. It does such an excellent job and it's holding up well. And it was cheap.

RDM

Thanks everyone for the replies and recommendations. I looked around and finally bought a Dyson R-39 Animal at Sears. They were running a close-out sale on it and I got it for $100 off list price. Took it home and I could not believe the hair and dirt it picked up. It is a canister type with the big ball, has a long hose and wand, and has all the accessories the the top of the line upright Animal has.

Here is hoping it lasts the 5 years it is warranted for.

My dad owns a slew of Sears stores, and I have grown up working in them and our family of course used the products we sold. Nothing beats a Dyson. After moving out I've had to use a bunch of different vacuums since I can't afford one, and man am I wanting one bad right now. Sending in again for yet another replacement hoover, glad I bought the purchase protection.

• 7 years later...
On 8/28/2013 at 8:07 AM, Flamincomet said:

My dad owns a slew of Sears stores, and I have grown up working in them and our family of course used the products we sold. Nothing beats a Dyson. After moving out I've had to use a bunch of different vacuums since I can't afford one, and man am I wanting one bad right now. Sending in again for yet another replacement hoover, glad I bought the purchase protection.

Well, my friends I too love Dyson but there are almost different brand vacuums and I love to collect all. I do have included Dyson different vacuum in my personal collection one of my favorite is Dyson Multi-floor Bag-less vacuum it has the ability to clean multi-surface areas, it is bagless, and filters are replaceable. It has a maximum reach of up to 45 feet and has a turbine head, and the turbine head has stiff nylon bristles that help in removing ground-in dirt from the carpet, and soft carbon fiber filaments to remove dust from hard floors.