BC Boards

sheep fencing question

KrisK

I'm finally going to get my fence for my upcoming (I HOPE) flock of shetlands (or maybe Icelandics).

I'm going to put in 13-48-6 Woven wire fencing (page wire). I can't afford to put in the hotwire this year but was wondering if a strand of off-set barbed wire at the bottom and the top would work as a deterrent?

This area is going to be 80x80 and within 100 feet of the house. - I don't usually have predators that close but...sheep may be an attractant for sure.

Any thoughts?

Hi

I used 16 foot livestock panels(smaller on the bottom). I was lucky I had a horse fence already in the pasture so I didn't need to put in posts.

The farm that I purchased my sheep from did not suggest any barb wire. It rusts and sheep can get tetanus and injuries.

I had a foal years ago that ripped a tendon on old barn wire that was left from cattle.

I used the woven wire for the gates.

Good Luck.

Kris,

It seems that a strand of barbed wire underneath the fence is common practice around here for fencing in cattle (to prevent them pushing under the fence more than anything else). That's how my landlord fenced this place. I think offset barbed wire at the bottom would work as a deterrent--I assume you mean on the outside of the fence (which then could be a risk to your dogs if they share a fenceline with the sheep pasture). Honestly, if it's close to your house and you're unlikely to have predators, you could probably get by with nothing but the regular field fence. Just save your $$ and add the electric later. Alternatively, I'd go with barbed wire directly beneath the bottom of the field fence (less likely to catch a dog or a sheep, but should deter digging from predators) and barbed wire directly over the top of the field fence (because the sheep are unlikely to reach that high to catch themselves on it, especially if you have a smaller breed like Shetlands, and your dogs are unlikely to jump over the fence and catch themselves either.

JMO.

J.

Thanks Julie, that's the opinion (barbed wire directly below and above) that I got from a couple of other folks on another board. I talked with my fencing supplier and I think I'll go ahead with the electric right away..it's not as costly as I thought it would be since it's such a small area. I really don't like barbed wire at all so I'm glad I can get away from it.

• 1 month later...

Hello from Texas. 71 year young wanttobe retired. along with Kris. I joined BC a short time ago. hoping to find a good working dog for my sheep. and really like what I have seen thus far. Subject above Barbed wire with sheep. working with several vets for the past 50 years and raising St Croix and Dorpers. I would never suggest that stuff. Have had to stitch too many livestock clients up after becoming entangled. I personally use 2"x4" or 4"x4" field fence outer with inter stock and goat panels. they are easily moved if needed and work well keeping out unwanted critters. The Electric fence works great. I now longer have my Shetland Sheepdogs after 30 years. so if you know any one with in driving distance with a good female working BC Please let me know Thanks BJ