BC Boards

Achilles tendon tear?

Covelo Dogs

One of my dogs spent yesterday working the pens, while I wormed. Since most were lambs he was having to go catch the break aways. Since it was just me and Bock, and he knows his job, I did not see what happened to injure his hind leg.

He showed no signs of injury until we were done. He went to pee and fell over. He seemed more perplexed then in pain. I watched him thinking he was just tired, but noticed he had "drop toe" at times.

I let him cool off then gave him rimadyl and put him in his crate. He has been allowed only walks on a leash. I have him on crate rest, only out to potty and on rimadyl.

I had a dog with an acl tear and this seems to be lower.

I am hoping to contact a ortho surgeon tomorrow, but wonder if anyone has dealt with this type injury. He does not seem to have any severe pain.

He did have a small tear in the skin on inside of his leg, midway on metatarsus

Thanks,

Suki

Julie, he has an appointment with surgeon on Wednesday and tentative surgery on Thursday. I will not know if it is Achilles or crutiate till then. Will post diagnosis after appointment. They did say that they maybe able to keep him overnight on Wednesday, since I am 3+ hours away from vet, and surgery maybe scheduled for Thrusday.

Sue, your journal of Celts recovery has been bookmarked and will be of great assistance. This dog is your "Dan's" half brother, and there are family traits! Enjoyed your journal of Dan's journey it helped to read the frustrations that were so simaliar.

One of the most upsetting things about this is after our five year journey Bock had finally found his calling. He loves pen work and is one of the best pen dogs I have ever had. He knows and understands the job it is all about control and knowing where the livestock belong, but also just staying back off of the pressure unless needed.

Thank you all for the positive thoughts, we will need them in the next few months.

If it is the cruciate, I certainly hope your results with Bock are as good as those we have experienced with Celt's recovery after surgery. I've known several other dogs who had the same or different surgery and all seem to be doing extremely well. It is fortunate that you are able to get this treated so soon after the injury. One thing that held back Celt's recovery was that the original injury was several years old and the total tear occurred in increments over three years, plus he was on conservative treatment (reduced activity) for several months before surgery. He not only had the surgery to recover from but also the enforced layoff for so long and muscle habits resulting from the injury. And being older, too.

And how is Bock related to Dan? Sire or dam? Dan has been an experience for me, not at all the easy dog that Celt is in terms of a number of things, very independent. But once he understands a job, he is outstanding at it.

Very, very best wishes!

I assisted an ortho surgeon with an Achilles' rupture surgery about 6 months ago and the dog is doing great! Does your dog stand normally on its foot? Most cruciates will toe-touch, and depending on the severity of the Achilles' tear, dogs will stand with a dropped hock and curled toes, or hock touching the ground. It should be easy for your surgeon to differentiate these two injuries once he gets his eyes and hands on the dog, good luck!

After re-reading your post I am wondering if there could be an injured toe. Again, I'm sure your vet will be able to figure it out.

Emily, if he is just standing he foot is on the ground. Toes curl under when he walks. But hock is dropped some when he try's to scratch the whole foot curls under and he ends up scratching with his knuckles. I had a dog years back with a torn ccl and the stance was different he did stand with toe touch.

Am counting down the hours till appointment tomorrow and praying that nothing happens to worsen his injury. He is obviously confused by being segregated from the other dogs and having a easy put on every time he comes out of his crate.

Thank you for your post. I know no matter what the issue is it will be a long road to full recovery.

Diagnosis is, compression of the tibial nerve, mostl likely caused by blunt force trauma. Knee is good and solid, all ligaments and tendons attached. Prognosis is good. The dropped hock and curled toes should right themselves when the nerve is decompressed. His spine is fine and he has no pain. Recheck in three weeks, unless hock drops further and toe is being dragged. He does not need crate rest just kept from running around and possibley damaging leg since it does not work well. Maybe back to working within a couple of months

Will try and get him in for cold lazer treatment and he will be on rimadyl for at least 3 more weeks.

Thank you for your positive thoughts,

Suki