BC Boards

This is a scene repeated over and over all day long. My question is, are they playing? Riven nips Rohan (cat) on the neck and Rohan reacts. Rohan never uses his nails, and you cant hear it on the video but you can usually hear him smacking her with his paws. Riven will stop and look around, and Rohan walks under her and rubs his back on her mouth, she nips him on the neck, and it starts all over. I dont know if they're playing (which I think they are), but can someone explain more of what is happening? I dont really know "herding" and what to look for. Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for the poor video quality, I really need to invest in a new camera.

Looks like playing to me, but what do I know, I've never ever owned a cat!

I will say this though, this vid is now tied with the video of Sasha and the big blue ball for cutest video I've ever seen! :rolleyes:

How old is the cat? He looks pretty young. I can't tell if he's playing or annoyed... or maybe both. He's not really mad, or he wouldn't be so gentle with the dog... but it's hard to tell if he's enjoying it.

It took me months to figure out if Jojo (our cat) was playing with Zoe or not. (He was/is.)

hi:

From what I could see- you have a very nice and patient kitty. I do think said kitty is not really happy. The meowing is telling the dog to please lay off. She really doesn't seem into it, and probably the reason she is staying in one place is because if she moves she will be chased. What I would do is let the dog initiate play, but once the kitty starts meowing, intervene, and let the cat know that you will be her "protector". The kitty is being really good about it, but at some point she may just get really ticked and scratch the dog. My cat and my dogs play, sort of, but I don't allow the dog to really push into my cat, and when she is stuck against a wall, I make sure the dog backs off. I really like your kitty

Julie

I don't have sound on my computer here at work, but from just seeing it, I'd say it looks like playing, to me. The kitty has opportunity a couple of times to "get away" from Riven, and pursues her instead.

I'd keep an eye on them, of course, but it looks ok to me. When the cat's had enough, I'm sure Riven will be given the hint. :rolleyes:

I've slways had cats with dogs. You could clearly tell when my adult cats were 'unhappy'. Woe betide!

But kittens are harder. They are less demonstrative of anger. Sox makes faint squeaking noises when she's had enough, and I've never seen her hiss or heard her growl.

When Meg attacks her...stands over her and mouths her cheek. Sox rolls on her back grabs meg with her claws and forces her to have a bath.

Half the time she instigates a chase by batting the dog when she's at rest and the running. What's a puppy to do?

This looks like the play that my young cat 1yr, and my current rescue play. Chaos the kitten will ambush Blue the foster from under the bed grabbing his legs and nipping them lightly, he in return will bump her over with his nose and roll her around while she hangs on to his face. Fun to watch and always done gently by both participants

Pat

Rohan is almost 2 years old lol :rolleyes: He was severly malnurished and on his deathbed when we got him at 3 weeks old. He only weighs 8 pounds. He is very small and very thin because of his hard start.

What I dont get is if the cat is annoyed, why doesnt he get on his little tree house about 3 feet away and out of Rivens reach, but mostly why does he rub up against her. She nips his neck everytime lol - But there are times he's had enough and really nails her with his teeth. Then she looks at him like, what the heck is ur problem. lol

Thank you very much for all your compliments on Rohan. He's my little boy, and I love him to death. He actually is very mean, and no one likes him but my husband, my mom and I. The vet has "CAUTION" in bold black letters highlighted in yellow on his medical chart lol - They dread every time he comes in. Which is today =( We found 2 lumps on his chest by his nipples.. actually where his nipples go. Like inverted nipples but pretty good sized bumps... Yikes.. Im so scared.