BC Boards

How to make an easy quick portable sheep pen.

RoseAmy

So it's 98 degrees out and here I'm thinking of Christmas!!.

There are several churches that hire my sheep for Nativities at Christmas. Most build a little pen for the sheep, but this year I have picked up a few more churches that want me to bring a pen.

Any ideas for a simple easy (cheap wouldn't hurt either) pen. Something that would be easy to lug around and quick to set up.

My few experiences tell me that easy to lug around means light weight which means easy for goats to push around. Are sheep different in that regard? I made panels that were a nice size to handle out of 2"x2" frames and kennel fence. I put them together on the spot with a cordless drill. Two were hinged together so that one of them would be a gate and I put a latch on the other side of that one. Super simple and it worked great for kids, but adult goats would have pushed it all over the place, so some kind of stakes would have to be added for them.

Something like this might work if the sheep are easy going, it looks nice and the panels are light weight and it is real reasonable. We have two that are not as high that we use when we travel for the puppies. It's not going to take being beat on but I wouldn't worry about putting a few tame sheep in it.

http://warehousedirect.store.rakuten.com/p/40-heavy-duty-pet-playpen-dog-exercise-pen-cat-fence-b/228134514.html?listingId=199419118

I've done that before, except ours come in 16' panel. They sag too much at that length, but cut to 8' and the pen made round worked pretty well for us. I still had to stake it some to get my goats to not push it around.

I had thought of the woven wire panels cut to 8 ft lengths. The three sheep I use for nativity are professionals (LOL.) doesn't take much to contain them. I just wasn't sure if the pen would be free standing or I would need some how to anchor it in place.

Ive used 8ft or you could cut them to 6ft pieces of catttle panel (the stiff welded that comes in 16ft lengths) and unless your sheep were really pushy that would hold them. At most, if they were harassed they could push the panels around but not to much.

I've used wire or you could use carabineer clips to hold them together. They would be easy to travel with too.

I've anchored them with t-posts or you could use just a piece of rebar or some other straight metal pole. It wouldn't have to be as strong as t-post.

• 1 month later...

So it's 98 degrees out and here I'm thinking of Christmas!!.

There are several churches that hire my sheep for Nativities at Christmas. Most build a little pen for the sheep, but this year I have picked up a few more churches that want me to bring a pen.

Any ideas for a simple easy (cheap wouldn't hurt either) pen. Something that would be easy to lug around and quick to set up.

I take my sheep out at Christmas and use goat panels they fold up and are easy to put together with zip ties..........people can see them clearly. if used in nativity they have good manners .