BC Boards

I met a BC snob....

My favorite was taking Truly to an obedience trial in Atlanta that was being held with a breed show a few weekends ago and being asked by more then one person if she was a Canaan Dog. The ring steward couldnt figure out why I wasn't on her list and she didnt see a Canaan dog in any of the novice classes. I kindly explained she was a smooth coat border collie, and how there were different coat types yada yada yada and the lady was silent for a moment and came up with that she had never seen a border collie with such big ears. I had to chuckle a little bit and just shake my head.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back in the dark ages when I got my first Border Collie, I met a snob. Back then all were pretty much working dogs. This guy was bragging on his dog's pedigree and how great his dog's lines were. I was studying his dog's pedigree while he pontificated. I noticed his dog's dam was a sibling to my dog's dam. He was NOT happy when I pointed that out. Snobs can be fun when you can deal with them :o:P:D<_<

More recently I met a very snobbish big hat who was really trash talking a young man's dog. He had some pedigrees of his dogs. And he was not happy when I pointed out that his favorite dog was a half sibling to the dog he was trashing. <_<

:lol: Having a dog with a very modest pedigree, I just go to trials :lol: . There, no one pontificates :lol: .

But as a counterpoint I once got a beautiful complement from as show person. I was at the last show for Bonnie to get her breeding license (she is a Polish KC dog, which is not the same as the AKC) and we were waiting for our turn, which was a long time. With the loud speakers blaring, crowds of dogs and people all cramped together, lots of dogs were restless and nervous. Bonnie just jumped on my lap and went to sleep. The person was standing in the ring nearby said:

- And that's a working border collie attitude!

:wub:

I have been asked at the Try and Save on Island what kind of dogs my dogs are. Occassionally I have met someone who says my dogs are not what I say they are.

When That happens I talk to my invisible Cowboy Friend, Caleb, in front of the people.

"Caleb! Don't Spit your chaw down there you almost hit the lady's shoe!"

"What do you mean you can't find your horse? He's tied over there!'

This tends to end the conversation.

Rarely folks will brag to me about their dogs, what kind of fancy bred dog they have.

It is then I make up a breed of dog, and often it sound like this. 'Oh This little dog, It is a Rangateri from New Zealand they were bred to hunt sea crocodiles, the little bastards can really swim, and bite like hell.

Once, only once a person told me they had a champion herder.

Then I lifted my shirt up a bit, modestly and showed them my Belt Buckle from the Queen!

I have told this story before, I'm sure, but I still laugh about the lady I met on the street that asked me what breed my dogs were (a red tri, and a red and white, at the time) and when I said "these are border collies," she put her arm around me and said "Oh sweetie, you got ripped off. Border collies are black and white."

ha.

RDM

If asked I will tell people what kind of dogs I own. Most are obvious but Faye looks like a black and white whippet. I don't make a habit of correcting peoples guess. Who cares? Not going to see them again anyways.

I love hearing about their champion herders and I will politely ask what do they herd, that usually stops the conservation dead unless they tell me their cats or children. We smile and move on! I love when they tell me I should have my dogs herding because don't I know they are herding dogs!? I always act surprised and say I will definitely give it a try sometime!

The wonders of the general public never cease to amaze me!

My daughter's collie is carrying a little niggle in a hind leg so she was dogless at an agility show yesterday. However, she ran 3 different collies belonging to friends -

One very undistinguished and rather washed out looking looking short coated tri - a rescue as a pup from undeniable working lines.

A breeder's return - sport bred from working lines 2-3 generations back - heavy coated, black face with no blaze that looks a bit like a cat.

A show bred NZ line blue and white rehomed by the buyer for monorchidism (breeder replaced him).

All nice dogs in temperament. All keen to do agility. I wonder which was the proper BC.

Actually I know - the first one. She's the one I'd give house room to.

I was once asked if Devon was a mini-german shepard?? :blink:

Last year I was living with my mom for a few months while I was between houses and a woman was walking two terrier types. Very serious in terms of obedience with a "HEEL" being called out every once in a while. My mom had her two BC girls out in the front yard and the woman stopped and asked "Are those Border Collies?" My mom responded that they were. She said that "Ugh, that breed is horrible." To which I responded, "Oh my God, you're right! I'm going to take them out back and shoot them." She just looked at me and walked away... :D

My mom had her two BC girls out in the front yard and the woman stopped and asked "Are those Border Collies?" My mom responded that they were. She said that "Ugh, that breed is horrible." To which I responded, "Oh my God, you're right! I'm going to take them out back and shoot them." She just looked at me and walked away... :D

The usual response I get when I tell the expert-general-public that Sammy is a 4 month old BC is: "Border Collie huh? Well...have fun with that" :P

The usual response I get when I tell the expert-general-public that Sammy is a 4 month old BC is: "Border Collie huh? Well...have fun with that" :P

I love how people who understand border collies practically give their condolences when they see that you have one. Like we must be masochists to knowingly get such high-octane dogs. I was walking Maggie not too long ago and a guy pointed to her and said, "Is she a border collie?" and I said "Yeah," and he said, "Bless your heart."

(I don't know if that exchange makes sense to those of you who live outside the South, but "Bless your heart," in this context, basically means, "You're an idiot," and "I feel sorry for you," rolled into one.)

I love how people who understand border collies practically give their condolences when they see that you have one. Like we must be masochists to knowingly get such high-octane dogs. I was walking Maggie not too long ago and a guy pointed to her and said, "Is she a border collie?" and I said "Yeah," and he said, "Bless your heart."

(I don't know if that exchange makes sense to those of you who live outside the South, but "Bless your heart," in this context, basically means, "You're an idiot," and "I feel sorry for you," rolled into one.)

I am a Northerner living in the South (southwest VA) and I have picked up on a few of the phrases that have double meanings. Yes, 'Bless your heart" can also mean "I am glad it's you and not me." which I think is pretty much the same as above.

About 4.5 years ago, I took my dog (when he was only about 16 months old) to a local flyball practice to see what it was about. [The club was more of a 'fun' flyball club rather than a hard-core competitive flyball group.] My dog was the only BC there and he displayed energetic behaviors, but was under control. Other dogs were wandering off while their owners screamed at them to come back, a couple of them got into a tiff, etc. People were very nice, but a couple of them said to me "I like Border Collies, BUT I wouldn't want to live with one." Huh?

Jovi

People were very nice, but a couple of them said to me "I like Border Collies, BUT I wouldn't want to live with one." Huh?

I think that this is one of those things like, "I like kids but I don't want to have my own." They know what kind of commitment a BC is. My partner and I had decided that we were going to have either a child OR a border collie within the last few years and, after a whole lot of thinking, we settled on a BC. I'm not saying kids and BCs are the same thing or the same amount of work, but they require a similar level of forethought and time investment. I'm glad that people don't generally get BCs just because they like them. You've got to like them AND be willing, ready, and able to dedicate a huge portion of your time to training and interacting with them.

People were very nice, but a couple of them said to me "I like Border Collies, BUT I wouldn't want to live with one." Huh?

Oh, gosh, I used to think that myself because the only time I saw Border Collies was at obedience or agility shows and they were so intense and incredibly focused. I thought they were always like that. Combine that with all the cautionary tales out there that Border Collies need hours of exercise a day and that they will destroy your house from the floorboards to the roof shingles if you do not keep them entertained. Based on they horror stories (what I sometimes call the Border Collie Hype) and only seeing the dogs in a setting where they were very jazzed up, I wanted nothing to do with the breed. It was only after I got to know some Border Collies that belonged to club members and heard what they were like to actually live with, that I became interested in getting one myself.

Okay, I´ll share one with you guys. Our mailman (who is also a sheep farmer) took one look at Gláma, and asked me "that´s a Scottish one isn´t it (some Icelanders refer to border collies as "the Scottish dogs").

So I proudly say yeah, she is. His reply : Those dogs are so irritating during the fall round up!

On my stunned "why?" he answered: Those dogs always run to the heads! (literally he said hlaupa fyrir= run in the way).

I at least had the presence of mind to tell him that is what happens when smart dogs have stupid owners....

Sometimes, I feel like a snob, too, especially when I tell people that it is best if they go watch a few stock dog trials before getting a puppy, and that the internet is no place for people to look for one if they are new to the breed.

Nope, not a snob - a realist, telling the truth. Of course, a lot of people on "the other side" would not see it that way.