BC Boards

The crazy story about how my "mutt" turned out to be a champion purebred

What she is doing is not illegal. People have been breeding for specific things forever. People who are looking for a good agility/sport dog have every right to breed and sell their pups for a good price.

That's why its important for the working stockdog contingent to keep pushing their working stockdog agenda. We've got to keep voicing our opinion and why we believe this so strongly. At least some agility/sport people hear what we are saying and why. And some or them get interested in stockwork and end up buying a farm and raising sheep.

I am no expert in working lines, but this breeder [ETA: the breeder of the dam, linked below] is near me, and I remember Googling the phone number for several Craigslist ads for BCs over the years and finding them coming back to this operation. So that raised an immediate red flag for me.

Plus, I am immediately suspicious of BC breeders in Portland, TN, since that was Swafford's home base.

But, as others have said, I hope you enjoy your girl for what she is and have many delightful years together.

I think the reason she was able to sell these pups for so much money is that their dam-- if not an excellent herder herself, as the breeder claimed-- came from a very well-established working line. (Her dam came from here and was started here: http://tennesseebordercollies.com/ and they seem legit)--

Edited by aljones

Aljones, thank you for bringing that up... Rlwzgd actually did some research for me and told me in a private message that Maggie's breeder has roots with Swafford, which I found incredibly disappointing. the info about StockDog Exchange isn't much better.

So she's not from the responsible, awesome breeders I'd originally hoped she was from. Definitely a disappointment. I was still surprised to find out she was a purebred at all and of course I love her no matter what. I'm just glad that I rescued her and didn't actually support either of those breeders, now that I know more about them.

Dear Doggers,

My young friend Shay heard an ad on swap radio. "I've got this dog I found in a ditch and he keeps getting in the sheep. If you come get it, I'll give you the dog PLUS A PIZZA!!!

The Pizza Dog (Lad) went on to win open trials, compete in 2 National Finals and live all his days as a working stockdog and beloved companion.

Donald McCaig

Based on her behavior and agility, I do think (and my dad thinks, based on his experience handling BCs and sheep) that she would be an excellent herder.

With all due respect to your dad, I don't think you can assume that about any dog and any activity until you actually try it out. All you can say is that a dog shows signs that it would probably be worth trying it out. Some people's assessment will be better than others but doubt that anyone gets it right 100% of the time.

So she's not from the responsible, awesome breeders I'd originally hoped she was from. Definitely a disappointment. I was still surprised to find out she was a purebred at all and of course I love her no matter what. I'm just glad that I rescued her and didn't actually support either of those breeders, now that I know more about them.

Why a disappointment? She's still the same dog and I'm glad you rescued her too.

With all due respect to your dad, I don't think you can assume that about any dog and any activity until you actually try it out. All you can say is that a dog shows signs that it would probably be worth trying it out. Some people's assessment will be better than others but doubt that anyone gets it right 100% of the time.

That's why I said "I think," not "I know." :) I don't plan on training her as a herder unless she seems like she *needs* it to be mentally healthy. I was just commenting on her behavior in general.

Why a disappointment? She's still the same dog and I'm glad you rescued her too.

I'm not disappointed in "who" she is. She's the same dog no matter what. I'm disappointed in the fact that there are so many incredibly crappy BC breeders out there. It wasn't that I hoped she'd one day win the Eukanuba Cup (yuck!) or that I thought she'd be capable of tending a massive flock of sheep. I just liked the idea that she could have come from one of the few responsible, breed-preserving BC breeders still out there.