BC Boards

Afraid of Cameras

Hello,

I have an almost 1 year old Border Collie that does not like to have her picture taken. Whenever I take out a Camera/Phone and point it at her, she runs away.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of a way to help her get through her nervousness of Cameras?

Thank You,

Michael

post-15301-0-55747500-1375050215_thumb.jpg

post-15301-0-88357200-1375050223_thumb.jpg

My dog hates flash. I rarely use it when photographing her. If I do need to, she is not pleased when the camera comes out the next time. I have started telling her "No flash." I thinks she's picking it up. She does seem to relax when I say it, and doesn't turn her head away.

I have struggled with this problem with Senneca. She hated cameras. I tried all sorts of tricks, including using a self timer so she didn't see me behind the camera. I have hundreds and hundreds of photos where she has turned her head away, squirmed, ducked under or hidden herself behind somone or something. It became apparent that she hated my DSLR more than anything else, so that had to be put away to gather dust. Changing camers to something less frightening and wearing her down with constant attempts has mellowed her somewhat, but I still have to be sneaky and do the 'candid camera' thing with a long lens.

[i have wondered if the camera flash was the cause -- she hates thuunderstorms and lightening -- but even if that was the start of her camera phobia, she hated cameras with or without flash enabled. ]

Added: I see Geonni noted the connection with flash too while I was writing my reply.

Mine used to always put his head down when I put the dslr up to my face or just walk away. I started tossing treats to him whenever I got it out but didn't hold it to my face. Then started holding it to my face but so he could see my eyes and holding a treat (something real smelly and yummy) up near my face to draw his eyes up. Then I just fazed out the treats and he has no issue with it now. Only took a couple weeks maybe for the whole process. He has always been photographed a lot. :D

One of mine doesn't like to be photographed, either. He doesn't run away and hide, but he puts his ears back so I can never get the full efect of his beautifu prick ears, or that totally alert expression.

You might try a little desensitization and counterconditioning. Don't ry to snap a picture, just bring out the camera and provide lots of yummy treats. When she's totally comfortable w/ just the sight of the camera, you can pick it up and treat. Then bring it to your face & treat. Then snap and treat.

You'd have to take it slow and easy and not try to sneak in any actual pictures till she's totally at ease w/ the camera, but in time she should be less frightened of it.

Good luck.

I have always used a small pocket-sized digital camera. Sometimes flash is on and other times off.

I take lots of action photos and videos. Many times the camera is on a tripod, so I can be in the video, but I usually hold the camera myself for pictures. When I want a somewhat posed shot, I think she is so accustomed to seeing the camera, that it is not a problem. I put Josie where I want her and tell her to stay. When the shot is framed, I ask her to look at me. The ears go up and snap, I've got it. I believe she likes to pose, and be the center of attention. She's made her way into a couple of border collie calendars that way.

I suggest, If you have the time and patience, carry the camera around with you during walks and play. Get your dog used to seeing the camera. Work on a "stay" away from camera, always maintaining an upbeat atmosphere. Pretend to take pictures, and give lots of praise. When you want a picture, continue to make it a fun time, and keep it light. For a while if the picture you want doesn't seem like it is going to happen, wait until next time. I'll bet he/she comes around to like cameras. -- Best wishes, TEC

ETA: GentleLake -- I didn't see your post while I was writing mine. We apparently think alike. Didn't mean to express many of the same thoughts. Yours are all good ideas.

My husband and I take photos of shelter dogs for posting on Petfinder.com We get a fair number of dogs who will NOT look at the camera, and tons of them who make submissive gestures like averting their eyes, lip licking, etc. They can't get away as I have them on a leash. The camera lens is a stranger making direct hard eye contact. That is what it looks like to the dog! How are these dogs when meeting a stranger who stares and behaves inappropriately? I'll be they don't like it and avoid that person. Well, the camera or phone is in the same category to a dog.

Desensitization to the camera is the only suggestion, and others have made a good case for that. You have to make the camera familiar and safe.

Kathy Robbins

I have that problem with one of mine too. She's look away, or turns her back to you as soon as the camera or phone come out. She's been doing it for so long, I have learned to become sneaky at taking pictures. ;)

I have another one that has had a camera in her face since she was a baby, just a few months old. She's 7 yrs old now and I actually think she poses for the camera. I get the camera out, call for her, and here she comes, posing all the way. It's pretty funny. :lol: